Welcome to Obsidian Forum Community
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

Which Classes and Races new portraits would you like to see next?

Portraits

• Please log in to reply
97 replies to this topic

Poll: Race/Class Portraits preference (357 member(s) have cast votes)

Of which race would you like to see new portraits?

1. Humans (100 votes [13.51%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 13.51%

2. Aumaua (124 votes [16.76%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 16.76%

3. Dwarf (79 votes [10.68%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 10.68%

4. Elf (101 votes [13.65%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 13.65%

5. Orlan (140 votes [18.92%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 18.92%

6. Godlike (196 votes [26.49%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 26.49%

And of which classes?

1. Barbarian/Fighter/Paladin (165 votes [22.66%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 22.66%

2. Chanter/Chiper/Wizard (216 votes [29.67%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 29.67%

3. Druid/Monk/Priest (177 votes [24.31%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 24.31%

4. Ranger/Rogue (170 votes [23.35%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 23.35%

Vote Guests cannot vote

LLaney

LLaney

Obsidian Alumni

• Members
  • 131 posts

I glanced at the poll and I ticked every option

MOAR Portraits!

Vp843oV.png

(Thanks again for all your feedback everyone!)

• DocDoomII, Cluas, Silent Winter and 3 others like this

Elgyn

Elgyn

(2) Evoker

• Members
  • 56 posts

I would like some more Orlan portraits, and I would like all the races/sexes to get portraits with the hairstyle that has both sides shaved. I'm not sure what you call that cut, but it's odd they don't have a single portrait with that style.

LLaney

LLaney

Obsidian Alumni

• Members
  • 131 posts

I would like some more Orlan portraits, and I would like all the races/sexes to get portraits with the hairstyle that has both sides shaved. I'm not sure what you call that cut, but it's odd they don't have a single portrait with that style.

Undercut! So stylish~

I painted a female dwarf with an undercut. That scarred looking one with the green background, red cape and armor.

Serdan

Serdan

(4) Theurgist

• Members
  • 215 posts
  • Deadfire Backer

LLaney, I do like the current portraits, but they seem a bit bland/rushed.

Check out how gorgeous these are:

http://wespenfresser...penfresser&qo=2

http://wespenfresser...penfresser&qo=1

http://wespenfresser...penfresser&qo=3

Would it be possible to get something more like that or is it too much work? :)

DocDoomII

DocDoomII

Archvillain of the Obsidian Order

• Members
  • 844 posts
  • PSN Portable ID:DocDoomII
  • Pillars of Eternity Silver Backer
  • Kickstarter Backer

I don't think they are rushed or anything. Those you have linked are just a bit more "realistic" looking.

LLaney

LLaney

Obsidian Alumni

• Members
  • 131 posts

Art direction is not my wheelhouse I'm afraid but those are indeed very lovely.

Serdan

Serdan

(4) Theurgist

• Members
  • 215 posts
  • Deadfire Backer

I don't think they are rushed or anything. Those you have linked are just a bit more "realistic" looking.

No, it's not the realism. More work clearly went into Wespenfresser's images. LLaney can't spend as much time on a single portrait as Wespen obviously did, I fully recognize that, but I do think the current portraits lack some detail.

I'd also like more variation in expressions. Most of the current portraits either have a faint smile or look disinterested.

EDIT: I don't want to come across the wrong way here: I do like the portraits. It's good artwork and I appreciate the effort that has clearly been put into it. :)

Edited by Serdan, 05 April 2015 - 11:59 AM.

LLaney

LLaney

Obsidian Alumni

• Members
  • 131 posts

No worries Serdan, I appreciate your feedback. And thank you!

PBJam

PBJam

(4) Theurgist

• Members
  • 286 posts

check this thread:

http://forums.obsidi...rtraits-thread/

and see what ppl are requesting most :)

Sky_walker

Sky_walker

(2) Evoker

• Members
  • 95 posts
  • Pillars of Eternity Backer
  • Kickstarter Backer
Godlikes are most characteristic. IMHO each godlike head should have a dedicated avatar.
  • InsaneCommander likes this

Dr. Hieronymous Alloy

Dr. Hieronymous Alloy

(10) Necromancer

• Members
  • 1473 posts
  • Deadfire Silver Backer
  • Fig Backer

Moon godlikes especially are just under-represented. All the non-godlikes you can find alternate art somewhere online, but godlikes are lore-specific to this setting so there aren't many options for them.

Koson

Koson

(0) Nub

• Members
  • 4 posts

Godlike first of all, followed by dwarf and orlan. I'd preffer them in light/medium armor if possible.

Grand_Commander13

Grand_Commander13

Curator of the Obsidian Order

• Members
  • 595 posts
  • Kickstarter Backer
  • Deadfire Silver Backer
  • Fig Backer
  • Black Isle Bastard!

The Godlike, Orlan, and Aumaua desperately need more portraits (the Godlike don't even have one per head shape, let alone one which defines personality), but once there are enough portraits there also needs to be a way to sort them. If I could sort for all Orlan Male portraits, for instance, that would make it a lot easier to see what I had to work with than it is now where I have to scroll through dozens of portraits to see my options are... Limited.

• InsaneCommander likes this

mipthehappy

mipthehappy

(1) Prestidigitator

• Members
  • 21 posts
  • Deadfire Backer
  • Fig Backer

Moon godlikes especially are just under-represented. All the non-godlikes you can find alternate art somewhere online, but godlikes are lore-specific to this setting so there aren't many options for them.

This, absolutely. You can put together some creative custom portraits for the other races but the Moon Godlike has a very specific description which makes it difficult to find similar images - pictures that feature a humanoid with blue skin, glowing markings, blue hair, horns, a purple halo and a moon are pretty hard to come by!

Elgyn

Elgyn

(2) Evoker

• Members
  • 56 posts

Undercut! So stylish~

I painted a female dwarf with an undercut. That scarred looking one with the green background, red cape and armor.

Ah that's right, I forgot about that one. We need some male versions though! :D

gkathellar

gkathellar

Arch-Mage

• Members
  • 2007 posts
  • Kickstarter Backer
  • Deadfire Backer
  • Fig Backer

Orlan portrait selection is terrible right now - and, just like Godlike, their appearances are so distinctive that they really need portraits meant for them specifically.

Moar Orlan plx

• Silent Winter and InsaneCommander like this

aenemic

aenemic

(1) Prestidigitator

• Members
  • 33 posts
  • Kickstarter Backer
Moar Moon Godlikes!

Odd Hermit

Odd Hermit

(6) Magician

• Members
  • 643 posts
  • Kickstarter Backer
  • Deadfire Backer
  • Fig Backer

No, it's not the realism. More work clearly went into Wespenfresser's images. LLaney can't spend as much time on a single portrait as Wespen obviously did, I fully recognize that, but I do think the current portraits lack some detail.

I'd also like more variation in expressions. Most of the current portraits either have a faint smile or look disinterested.

EDIT: I don't want to come across the wrong way here: I do like the portraits. It's good artwork and I appreciate the effort that has clearly been put into it. :)

I prefer the less detailed works. It's the idea of a character and leaves more open to imagination. The more specific, the less it fits with my idea of a character.

They also just have a more painterly aesthetic. Not quite IWD level but arguably more appealing than the more comical BGII ones - at least for my taste. The quality is hit and miss with them though while IWD's were all so consistent. However I think IWD was mostly just one very talented dude that had more time to work on it, and thus they share a style because it's all his style.

Silent Winter

Silent Winter

(10) Necromancer

• Members
  • 1594 posts
  • Deadfire Backer
  • Fig Backer

Orlan, Orlan or Orlan, please ;)

Both Hearth and Wild, boys and girls.

As for class / feel - neutral would be better so they can be used for any class (ideal would be lots of portraits for all classes, but realistically I'll be happy with some general "what I wear under my armour/robes" )

Wulfburk

Wulfburk

(1) Prestidigitator

• Members
  • 36 posts

MOAR PORTRAITS!

Because Moar

1180124537.jpg

moar_282719.jpg

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Portraits

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users