Which Classes and Races new portraits would you like to see next?

Race/Class Portraits preference  

357 members have voted

1. 1. Of which race would you like to see new portraits?

2. 2. And of which classes?

May I suggest class or weapon-specific, race-agnostic portraits such as can be seen in NWN? ie. an image of a poisoned dagger, a bow, etc. That could be a catch-all solution for those players who are just unhappy with all the portraits.

Actually, I kind of like that. Make an image that is identifiable to each class, separately? That's kinda cool.... Don't know how much effort that would take for the art guys though - I think people would rather see them put out some new portraits, but class-specific (whether it be a weapon or whatever - just not a specific person) would be pretty neat.

Also- Obsidian artists - good job! I think your portraits are great! So take some time to yourselves and don't overwork yourselves too much.  :no:  We all love the work you do, so while we'd like to see more stuff don't feel like you need to pump these out like a machine - take your time and add some really nice ones  :yes:. Awesome stuff overall so keep up the good work!  :yes:

May I suggest class or weapon-specific, race-agnostic portraits such as can be seen in NWN? ie. an image of a poisoned dagger, a bow, etc. That could be a catch-all solution for those players who are just unhappy with all the portraits.

This is a very cool idea, I will pass it on to Kaz. No promises, of course ;)

Also- Obsidian artists - good job! I think your portraits are great! So take some time to yourselves and don't overwork yourselves too much.  :no:  We all love the work you do, so while we'd like to see more stuff don't feel like you need to pump these out like a machine - take your time and add some really nice ones  :yes:. Awesome stuff overall so keep up the good work!  :yes:

tumblr_inline_n4x9bgJJn11qafrh6.gif

• Like 1

I'd like to see more wild orlans. And Aumana. And then Godlikes.

Also...

chipper.png

New Class confirmed? tongue.png

I cannot - yet I must. How do you calculate that? At what point on the graph do "must" and "cannot" meet? Yet I must - but I cannot! ~ Ro-Man

I wouldn't mind more portraits that look kind of Asian-ish, both female and male, that are also class/trope-neutral.

So basically, I'd like more portraits where they could be interpreted to be any class.

• Like 2
“Things are as they are. Looking out into the universe at night, we make no comparisons between right and wrong stars, nor between well and badly arranged constellations.” – Alan Watts

Needs more Godlike and Aumau portraits. Everything else is kinda fairly easy to find.

Aumaua look similar enough to half-ogres and water genasi to be able to find several pretty good ones online.

goliath.jpg

However, there's literally nothing online that looks like death godlikes and some heads don't even have any portrait at all.

Edited by Daemonjax

However, there's literally nothing online that looks like death godlikes and some heads don't even have any portrait at all.

Well, I don't know about that...

5xR4yXo.gif

While there's no artwork online specifically of the head models used in game for death godlikes, there are certainly images which fit the broader description of the race:

"Strange growths cover their eyes - or, in some case, entire face - giving them a sinister appearance. The growths are transparent for the godlike but opaque from the outside, hiding their features."

That said I would love to see more death godlike portraits! ...I just think moon godlikes need them more.

Creepy and Surreal - Death Godlike PoE Portrait Pack - Last Updated 12 April 2015

Would be nice to see more:
1)Orlans (of all classes and both genders)
2)Womans of all races
3)Godlike (not playing them personally, so not a priority for me :p)
4)MOAR of everything! :D

Also, I must confess, what I am hopelessly in love with general art-style of the game. Somehow, all the portraits are seem extremely appealing and better-looking than the ones, I saw in IE games previously.
Thus being said, is it possible to request a tool for easy portraits extraction? (if its not a violation of someones copyrights ofc :blush:)

Looks like many people cast their votes while thinking "which is my favourite race/class?", rather than the actual poll question.

Albeit clearly the least popular race of choice, dwarves are vastly unrepresented when it comes to portraits, with barely a handful of portraits currently available.

Edited by jools1980
  • Like 1

I’m selling these fine leather jackets.

• 8 months later...

Albeit clearly the least popular race of choice, dwarves are vastly unrepresented when it comes to portraits, with barely a handful of portraits currently available.

Perhaps it's just, that the internet provides a large share of dwarf portraits, since dwarves are quite common. That is very different with godlikes and orlans...

Character PORTRAITS are easily covered by custom pics. 30 pages of em on this forum alone, not to mention the BG/IWD games.

But if they meant character options for the actual in-game 3d models? Definitely more color options for all races. More faces and eyecolors as well.

Character PORTRAITS are easily covered by custom pics. 30 pages of em on this forum alone, not to mention the BG/IWD games.

But if they meant character options for the actual in-game 3d models? Definitely more color options for all races. More faces and eyecolors as well.

Yeah, and I must have looked through hundreds of them. I have only found two portraits of the default male death godlike. One of them is OK(the other has a purple hue..), but when I resize the image to the appropriate resolutions the results are low quality and noticeably stick out.

ALL GLORY TO THE HYPNOTOAD

I don't know that I agree with that. I don't like to use portraits that don't match the style of the portraits already in the game. So for example BG/IWD portraits are out, as are, I'm afraid, most of what can be found in that thread. Personally I'd like to see more portraits of the unique races, dwarves, elves, and humans are a lot easier to find portraits for than orlans, aumaua, and godlikes. 

Wouldn't mind more options for the 3D models but to me portraits matter more, I seldomly zoom in very much so any such changes wouldn't be very visible to me.

Ok, I went through the 74 portraits that came with the game and tallied up the number of portraits for each race as best I could.

Coastal Aumaua - male: 2, female: 1, unique: 2, total: 3

Island Aumaua - male: 1, female: 2, total: 3

Boreal Dwarf - male: 1, female: 2, total: 3

Mountain Dwarf - male: 1, female: 1, total: 3

Wood Elf - male: 5, female: 3, unique: 7, total: 8

Pale Elf - male: 3, female: 2, unique: 4, total: 5

Death Godlike - male: 2, female: 2, total: 4

Nature Godlike - male: 2, female: 4, unique: 4, total: 6

Fire Godlike - male: 2, female: 2, total: 4

Moon Godlike - male: 2, female: 2, total: 4

Human - male: 13, female: 9, total: 20

•   Meadow - male: 7, female: 2, unique: 1, total: 9
  •   Savannah - male: 2, female: 2, unique: 1, total: 4
  •   Ocean - male: 4, female: 4, total: 8

Orlan - male: 2, female: 3, total: 5

Uknown - male 3, female: 3, unique: 5, total: 6

*notes:

• Female island and coastal aumuau both have the same portrait with different colors
  • Male elves have three near identical portraits with different colors, one is a pale elf
  • Human meadow and savannah folk are very similar. I'm sort of just going with my gut here
  • The above also applies to boreal and mountain dwarves
  • Female nature godlikes share three portraits, one has a different hair style the other two are nearly identical
  • Uknown includes 2 males? in helmets, two females in helmets, one hooded male, and one hooded female

So, total there are 68? unique portraits if I did the math right, and 14 races or whatever, and 2 genders each. Thats an average of 2.5~ unique portraits for every gender/race combination. If you take into account the godlike's head models that leaves a chunk of them without any unique portraits whatsoever.

So based on the above, these are the race/gender combos that I think are in the most need of new portraits:

1. Portraits for the missing Godlike head models
  2. Boreal Dwarves
  3. Mountain Dwarves
  4. Male Island Aumua
  5. Female Coastal or Island Aumua
  6. Female Meadow/ Savannah Folk
Edited by Grossol the Grim

ALL GLORY TO THE HYPNOTOAD

More Aumaua, Godlike, and Orlans please. There are plenty of extra human and dwarf and elf portraits out there on the Internet, we need more of the unique Eora races from Obsidian.

I agree with most of this, except that Old Vailian Dwarfs are meant to be more 'classy' looking such as in the beard department and not stereotypically vikingy yet none of the male dwarfs fit this appearance.  At least one classy dwarf please, one that fits with the muttonchops look you can get at least.

EDIT: Thinking about it, dwarves ARE highly underrepresented in the game portraits.  This is a foul crime that cannot be unanswered and has actually contributed to me not playing many dwarves, since whenever I tried to I couldn't find one that I liked out of the handful we gots!

SECOND EDIT:  Voted for all classes as I didn't actually have an opinion on them tbh but the poll wouldn't let me answer the race question without putting at least one tick in the second section as well, so put a tick in all of them to not put any extra weight to any of them.  Not that one vote ever mattered of course, though a "I don't have an opinion" option to get round that might've been good.

Edited by FlintlockJazz

"That rabbit's dynamite!" - King Arthur, Monty Python and the Quest for the Holy Grail

"Space is big, really big." - Douglas Adams