If I had one complaint against this great game and it probably an engine limitation, is the "squareness" of the maps.

I know I can only go so far up/down left/right before I get to the "end".

A truly free roam map where I could get lost would have been awesome.

Gaming is interactive...watching TV ..not so much.

Arcanum tried having a large open world, outside of the "square" main maps, to a degree.  Most people never used it. 

I have gone for a few arcanum walks, but I've never really found anything of note hidden out there - just more and more dirt lol. 

Edited by Gallenger
  • Like 1

"I actually feel the opposite. I'm a completionist, so I always make sure I uncover the entire map before leaving an area. If every map were a maze or a seemingly endless plain, it would just be frustrating to me."

L0L

DWARVES IN PROJECT ETERNITY = VOLOURN HAS PLEDGED $250.

I'm usually not that OCD, but if there are corners that are inaccessible and leave some of that evil black fog, that bugs me, as well. :D Well, for a few moments.

Also in BG - the way to treat a new map was to systematically go from right to left and back again to uncover every bit of it. :D

Anyway, a free-roaming world just isn't technically possible. Every map is built and pre-rendered and then used as a 2D background. That the party is going "up" or "down" or that there is an obstacle or a tree or something is basically a very elaborate illusion. It isn't; it's a static 2D picture.

And you can't pre-render a seamless world. (Well, you can, but not with PoE's budget and time frame, not even close.)

Therefore I have sailed the seas and come

To the holy city of Byzantium. -W.B. Yeats

Χριστός ἀνέστη!

Also in BG - the way to treat a new map was to systematically go from right to left and back again to uncover every bit of it. :D

We called that method a "Xeen-Sweep" from Might and Magic IV, the first game I played with those square maps. Left to right, top to bottom, but sometimes mixing it up for the sake of variety.