Wichts don't spawn in sanitarium

Dragoslav

Question

Description:

At the end of the quest "The Man Who Waits," the wicht enemies do not always appear. 

After talking to the patient who triggers the final battle of this quest, a cutscene plays, and several enemies enter the room you are in (crazed patients and flesh constructs). After clearing this battle, you can proceed back through the main, large room in the middle of the map with tables. In this room there are now supposed to be several wicht enemies. However, these enemies do not always appear, and instead the only enemies are the flesh constructs guarding various points on the map.

Aside from having fewer enemies on the map, this issue does not seem to affect anything else.

Steps to reproduce:

When I initially played through this area, I entered the map, triggered the final battle for "The Man Who Waits," and then went into the main room with the wichts all in one go without saving and reloading. There were wichts in the room, as there should have been.

However, I then reloaded to a save directly before speaking to the patient who triggers the cutscene that starts the final battle (this save is included in the .zip file). After clearing that battle, I went into the main hall and found it completely empty (no wichts, no neutral NPCs) except for a lootable guard corpse. I loaded from that same save at least 3 more times (4 in total), and each time I did, there were no wichts in the main room. 

Steps:

1) Load the earlier save of the two I have attached

2) Talk to the patient and trigger the cutscene

3) Defeat all enemies in that room

4) Walk back to the large room in the middle of the map where all of the patients were previously and where there should now be wichts. There will be no enemies.

The second save I have attached is from after the battle triggered by talking to the patient.

Files: https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/51501711/NoWichts.zip

Let me know if you need any more information! Thanks!

5 answers to this question

There has been a post about this already. Wasn't sure if the patch fixed it but I guess not.

What I read in the other thread(s) was that there are at least two... maybe three separate issues:

1) Neutral NPCs turning hostile to the player

1a) Possibly linked to the above, neutral NPCs not being removed from the basement map at the end of the quest and being attacked by the now hostile flesh constructs (possibly what turns the remaining NPCs hostile to you)

2) Wichts not spawning in the basement

2a) Enemies spawning, but in bugged positions (default T-pose)

Either way, as an addendum, I loaded up my second save game from the OP to test something further. After winning the battle after the cutscene, I moved my party to the large, empty room where the wichts should have been and created that save in order to show the problem. After loading the save, I was immediately attacked by the wichts, who were now quite obviously in the room... heh.

I reloaded that save one more time, and the wichts were there. Exploring the rest of the map, I saw that the wichts in the other areas were also now where they should be.

So basically, a workaround for people running into this bug who really, really want to have to fight through wichts on their way out of the basement, is to save and reload -after- the cutscene at the end of The Man Who Waits, which should properly spawn the enemies in the basement. I would add this to my OP, but I don't have editing privileges yet.

Given how troublesome the upstairs going hostile can be, I'd suggest that anyone who wants to do that to fight the wichts right now should make their save after the fight, then leave it alone until they've gone back upstairs and talked to the statue without problems, then make a second backup save there before reloading their first one.  Just in case.