Hidden Items and Stealth made me stop playing the game...

I much preferred the separation of Search and Stealth in old IE games. It doesn't make any sense that one would have to hide to find hidden objects. Doing so looks silly.

That many posters have argued that hidden items don't even matter is a problem in and of itself. Why should the answer to a poorly designed aspect of the game be completely ignoring that part of the experience? Yeah, you probably don't need another "fine dagger" to go with the 5 you already have sitting in your stash. Maybe a fix would be to make hidden items matter a bit more. At least then they'd be worth the pain in the ass of crawling around finding them. 

Hey all.. Just registered here so I could share my feelings around something I consider to be a game breaking problem...

I've read somewhere someone was complaining he had to stealth 100% of the time with fast mode activated, otherwise he would miss hidden items. To my dispair, the guy was right. I didn't do it and I had missed lots of hidden items (those items contained in purple places).

After realizing that I started hitting my Stealth up 100% of the time too, and using fast mode. This killed the game for me. It kills immersion. My barbarian looks silly stealthing like a moron all the time. In town it looks unrealistic and silly that everyone is stealthed with their weapons combat ready all the time. Seriously. Some people may consider this a minor problem, but to me, it killed the game. I no longer have pleasure in playing after I realized I needed to stealth 100% of the time.

Some people may say "You don't have to." And I will answer "Yes, I have to. Im a completionist". I can't let those hidden items pass undiscovered. I just.. can't.

I searched for google for a spoiler-free, simple list of hidden items by map. So I could quickly check each map when I'm "done" with it, and see where I needed to stealth to get those items. But such thing doesnt exist yet. I searched for a mod to enable detecting hidden items 100% of the time without the need to stealth, but that doesn't exist either. So I stopped playing...

I know this may sound trivial to the most of you, but to me it isn't...

Maybe something to consider is how realistic it is to have to find every secret ever in the game world. I understand your desire to "collect them all", I have a similar desire, but is THAT really realistic in-game? Does that not break immersion just as much as the run/stealth/fast-mode thing? I think at some point you have to step back and say "ok, if I really want to find EVERY secret, that means that in-game my characters will in fact have to spend time searching every step they take...does that break my immersion too much?" Ultimately it's YOUR decision to try and find every secret so it's YOU breaking immersion in this case, not the game.

Yes, it's stupid. I think Obsidian knows this but were afraid to deviate too much from IE games, since they promised a spiritual successor. There's always hope in the likely to come sequel (and perhaps mods, as you said).

In Baldur's Gate games, you had to actively search for traps, but searching for hidden doors was automatic and continuous.

Yes, it's stupid. I think Obsidian knows this but were afraid to deviate too much from IE games, since they promised a spiritual successor. There's always hope in the likely to come sequel (and perhaps mods, as you said).

In Baldur's Gate games, you had to actively search for traps, but searching for hidden doors was automatic and continuous.

And  in BG games unless you used an auto-pause you would discover the trap just as you stepped on it because the mechanic scanned once every six seconds and you were never moving slow enough to keep from over-stepping that time frame - that's not much of an issue with stealth and scout combined (well perhaps it is with the silly run-stealth)

Nomadic Wayfarer of the Obsidian Order

Not all those that wander are lost...