30+ hours... All gone! saved games? MISSING?

siagee

Question

Hello all,

I purchased this game on release (in addition to a bit of beta experience w/ a buddy) and started playing it happily! I was initially very happy to be supporting such fantastic writing, artwork, and etc.

I am baffled by the fact that my 30+ hours into the game are now... ALL GONE!!!

I even restarted my journey giving the new patch a chance, thinking it might have been solved... but no!

Upon the developers' request, I will post a full description of my system's attributes along with a recent saved game that i found in the "saved game" folder (documents) IF I GET A PROMISING RESPONSE THAT I HAVE NOT WASTED MY MONEY OR MY TIME!!!!

I tried all the fixes that are currently available... NONE WORKED!

If anybody can help I would greatly appreciate it.

Sia

• Like 1

Yes. 

The saves from both my characters are in %user%/MyDocuments/SavedGames/PillarsofEternity

i reinstalled the game and steam reloaded my saves from the cloud... still nothing!

i even started a new character and made an early save game, exited the game, came back and still nothing!

both continue and load game are greyed out!

I was initially extremely frustrated as well in the beginning as I had been waiting for this game during months.

I realized after so many bugs, crashes and problems with the game, that it will probably require a couple more months and several more patches before this game is stable enough to play with joy and not frustration, as it currently works out.

I am currently playing other more stable games, until PoE gets stable. =)

I think I read somewhere about this issue. Back up the save files, and uninstall the game. Then delete everything in appdata, programdata or any folder that contains files related to PoE. Reinstall the game, and put the save files back.

Did you try this:

http://forums.obsidian.net/topic/75712-load-option-greyed-out-in-start-menu-possible-workaround/

(basically, backup all saves elsewhere and then ONLY move the latest save back to the saved games folder) - worked for me.

_________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

*Casts Nature's Terror* :aiee: , *Casts Firebug* :fdevil: , *Casts Rot-Skulls* :skull: , *Casts Garden of Life* :luck: *Spirit-shifts to cat form* :cat:

I tried it multiple times with different save games (both with the cloud on and off) and nothing.

I highly believe this should not be our job to bugfix an issue like this!

We paid to support the game and signed up to have fun! Not to find bugs and do the devs job for them.

It is rather unfortunate because I lost a whole weekend trying to figure this out, instead I could have been playing something more reliable.

Thanks for the suggestion, I am glad it worked for you :)

I'm also seeing this issue, and even posted up a savegame with the problem.  Have not heard anything at all from developers on this which is quite dissapointing as I've sunk 58hours into my playthrough already.

Guest Matt Sheets

Hello,

Please post a link to your save games and system specs so we can diagnose the issue.

Savegames

Try to include a save file from right before as well as during the issue you are reporting

Windows Location: %USERPROFILE%\Saved Games\Pillars of Eternity\Saves

Mac Location: Library/Application Support/Pillars of Eternity/Saved Games

Linux Location: Home/.local/share/PillarsOfEternity/SavedGames

Output Log

When the issue occurs, close the game client, find this file, then attach it to your post

Windows Steam Location: \Steam\steamapps\common\Pillars of Eternity\PillarsOfEternity_Data\output_log.txt

Mac Location: Library/Logs/Unity/Player.log

Linux Location: Home/.config/unity3d/Obsidian Entertainment/Pillars of Eternity/Player.log

System Specs

This will give us most of your computer specs to help us diagnose the problem

Windows Location: Press (windowkey + R), Type "dxdiag" and press Enter, Click "Save All Information", Attach the file that you create

Mac Location: Click the Apple button in the corner of the screen, Click "About This Mac", Click "More Info", Copy and paste the Model and Year, Processor, Memory, Graphics, and Software information

Linux Location: Search for "system", Click "System Settings", Click "Details", Copy and paste all information

• Like 1

This sounds similar to an old problem I heard about when Windows XP/7 came out. People were complaining they would save files with one program, but if they tried to open it with another program they couldn't find it (but it would show up if they went to the location with Windows Explorer); the culprit turned out to be User Access Control being extremely restrictive on what programs were allowed to see - depending on the programs used and location of the files it even prevented said programs to see their own files (this is why I never install games in /Program Files, I have a seperate /Games directory for that).

Try running PoE in Administrator mode (right click on the PoE executable and click on "Run as Administrator") to see if that allows you to load savegames.

i have ran the program as admin, re-allocated and renamed the files, and hell of a lot of other methods that worked for others. Unfortunately none of them have worked, though I am thankful for all your responses and solutions. A sense of community has always existed within Obsidian. Fortunately one of the developers is considering my case at the current moment so we will see what will come out of it. By the way did anybody get an update which was about 576 mb? If so did you find any specifications as to what it was for?

The interesting part of this issue, and I've seen this issue posted quite a bit, is that the default action seems to be to verify the steam files.

Here is my take on this issue:

There is definitely something wrong with the save/load mechanism.

From a practical point of view:

1) These issues started with the patches with Steam. (At least it seems that way)

2) The saves that have been uploaded are not having issues on Obsidian's systems, implying that the save files are not corrupted. At least some of them are not.

3) There seems to be evidence that it is a client/host issue.

So, what are the requirements, from an application level, to recognize a save file?

Next, we need a tool (or method) to verify the pieces required. ie Registry, Application, config files, app path, etc.

The only way this issue is going to get fixed is to identify what is going wrong.

Obsidian, can you create a tool that will verify savegame integrity and can validate the other requirements needed to verify a savegame as valid? Perhaps there are some arguments we can give the executable that might help you isolate the problem. Re-installing the application over and over again is a recipe for frustration.

• Like 1

For me it happened again - I removed all but one save-file - no good - then I removed that one save file (over to a different drive, don't know if that matters), then copied it back again - it worked - weird.

_________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

*Casts Nature's Terror* :aiee: , *Casts Firebug* :fdevil: , *Casts Rot-Skulls* :skull: , *Casts Garden of Life* :luck: *Spirit-shifts to cat form* :cat:

So, what OS are those of you having save issues on?

Is there anything remarkable about your user profile? I.E., not an Admin, but a user?

Perhaps multiple drives, with the OS mapped to a drive other than C.

Yes, I'm grasping at straws.

Perhaps some dev introduced an absolute path issue in some of the code that was merged.

I know some applications have relative path issues with Windows 7. And, there can be odd permission issues, especially with the %user%/%appdata% permissions. So far, it looks like everyone having the issue is running Windows.... Hmmmm.

• Like 1

So, what OS are those of you having save issues on?

Is there anything remarkable about your user profile? I.E., not an Admin, but a user?

Perhaps multiple drives, with the OS mapped to a drive other than C.

Yes, I'm grasping at straws.

Perhaps some dev introduced an absolute path issue in some of the code that was merged.

I know some applications have relative path issues with Windows 7. And, there can be odd permission issues, especially with the %user%/%appdata% permissions. So far, it looks like everyone having the issue is running Windows.... Hmmmm.

^Win7 Ultimate,

game installed to D:\Games\Pillars of Eternity and saved games in default c:\user\name\saved games\pillars of eternity

It's not every time, it's not even every time the computer is shut down - it just happened twice (same fix both times for me) (though oddly, leaving one save file didn't help, but cutting+pasting it over and back did)

Edited by Silent Winter

While it's probably not a fix.

Whenever I had an issue with Pillars, all I had to do was go to my temp folder ( %TEMP% ).

Then locate the Obsidian folder and delete it.

If you're scared, simply doing a windows "clean-up" will probably clear the temp folder for you.

This fixed every issue for me when playing the game (though I only came across 2 or 3).

Sorry to hear about your trouble :(

Interesting that this issue mostly resides with the Windows OS. I have spoken to a few people that had the problem on linux, but their issues got resolved after the patch?

Ive tried restoring Windows settings (clean-up) and in terms of permissions there might be something within the source code that is limiting the execute function within save files.

My game is installd in D:/Steam and my C:/ folder is merely for windows and very few documents (including pillars' saved game folder).

Maybe this is a freak case, but its a case that should at least be fixed by now. I love this game and everything it entails, unfortunately im slowly losing my patience and a bit of respect... This is a "crowd-funded" project no?

Anyways my rants are merely a reflection of the madness this last weekend :)

thank you all for the support!

Hi, try uploading a few saves unto dropbox and share a link. Also, did you try re-installing Steam? Steam is watching that folder and syncing it, could be screwing with it. Also, if you have one good save-game you want to continue from, try copying it somewhere safe and disable Steam cloud sync, copy it back and see if it loads.

- How can I live my life if I can't even tell good from evil?

- Eh, they're both fine choices. Whatever floats your boat. 

Hi, try uploading a few saves unto dropbox and share a link. Also, did you try re-installing Steam? Steam is watching that folder and syncing it, could be screwing with it. Also, if you have one good save-game you want to continue from, try copying it somewhere safe and disable Steam cloud sync, copy it back and see if it loads.

Yea tried all of that!

My saves and everything are posted in the previous page with the details that the devs requested (located on page 1 of this thread).

Hi, yeah I only checked OP for links.

In any case it's loading just fine for me. I renamed the file to "Forums-TempleofEothas.savegame", copied it and your profile name showed up under saves with only this save in it.  At least your progress is not gone, even if you can't load it right now :/

tXvSKAg.jpg

Edited by KingNee
  • Like 1

- How can I live my life if I can't even tell good from evil?

- Eh, they're both fine choices. Whatever floats your boat.