http://www.pcgamer.com/pillars-of-eternity-tabletop-rpg-and-card-game-in-the-works/

Speaking of expansions, can you give us any details on what might be coming in the future?

Sure. So, with the Kickstarter we announced that we were going to do an expansion, and so how we're approaching that is to actually do the expansion in two parts, and have one part out sooner than the other part. The idea being that people are really enjoying Pillars right now and they're going to get finished their first or second playthrough within in the next two weeks, a month, something like that. And so, we definitely want there to be content for them to enjoy and I think we're going to be talking about that pretty soon. I don't think we've released anything specifically, but it really ends up being this concept of this story that expands parts of what you would see in those sort of old school expansions we made for Icewind Dale and Baldur's Gate. So not just these three, four hour downloadable DLCs, but definitely big chunks of a story and a new hub to go to and things like that.

So that's kind of how we're really approaching it, like we've done with Eternity throughout is this idea of, these games kind of went away but not for a reason they should have. The industry shifted to so much console with this idea that PC wasn't so much of a gaming platform, which I know no one thinks that anymore. So, back then when you got an expansion you got this meaty thing with hours and hours of gameplay. And that's really what we're trying to do. So, while we're splitting it in two, it is like one continual story that people get to play.

The above quote is not entirely unique, I've read basically the same thing said elsewhere before. So it's unlikely I'm misreading it.

The weird thing here is that Obsidian are contradicting themselves. I'll paraphrase to make my point clear:

"These days most folks make a number of small DLCs, but instead we are going to do a big meaty old school expansion."
...and then in the same breath:
"but we're going to split it into two parts"

Umm, what? It's absurd to talk about a big chunky expansion that is split into parts. It can't be both.

Frankly I'm not complaining or worried as I have full confidence that I will be pleased with the expansion(s) (which I have already paid for). But you guys are putting out a confusing message. What's up?

Edited by BrainMuncher
  • Like 4

They mean that it is one continuous, large story while most DLCs these day are tiny and have nothing to do with each other as a whole.

And honestly, I don't mind it being in two parts. It will allow for the content to be delivered at a faster pace, and they'll most likely do a better job with the second half once people have voiced their opinions on what works and doesn't work in the first half. You have to test the waters a little when you're starting something new and big like this.

• Like 2

Umm, what? It's absurd to talk about a big chunky expansion that is split into parts. It can't be both.

Frankly I'm not complaining or worried as I have full confidence that I will be pleased with the expansion(s) (which I have already paid for). But you guys are putting out a confusing message. What's up?

Eh, it didn't seem that conflicting to me, but it's early and I could just be reading it wrong. What I took away from it was 'Well, we have this big expansion of four acts in the works, but we know people are going to want new content now to keep the game fresh, so we are just going to release two acts now, and two acts later instead.' Something along those lines.

I didn't felt ripped off after seeing Empire Strikes back even if I paid for a full movie and the story only ended in Return of the Jedi (granted that might be because I saw return 5 min later and I didn't actually pay anything to watch it at my friend but you get my point). The important thing is not that there are one or two expansions, or that they follow -or not- the same storyline. The important part is that each feels like a distinct and complete experience. For all the ****storm it provoked, I liked what they did in starcraft 2 (not in term of writing, god no, in term of story balance between the main game and the first expansion and the fact that each had its own definite themes and conslusion).

Edited by Any_ILL

@sleazebag

I'm not convinced. Will you get halfway through a quest and get a screen saying "to be continued...?" I've heard tales of the sword coast mentioned a few times which from (failing) memory was basically one big sidequest/dungeon, rather than a continuation like throne of bhaal. Seems like it would be a little jarring to go halfway through something like that and then just continue on with the main game. Are you going to load up an old save that has already completed the game just to do the second half of something like that when it comes out?

I wouldn't complain about two smaller expansions. I just don't understand how "one big" expansion can work in two parts, unless it is a continuation, ToB style. It doesn't make any sense to me.

Edited by BrainMuncher

Guest BugsVendor

I would prefer something completely stand alone.

Or even a PoE 2 all together. Adding new location / items / quest to the same game is not interesting. I don't want to go through another playthrough just so I can experience few new items and some spin off story. 

To me this sounds a bit more like this: We will make PoE the game we wanted it to be in the first place. And we will milk our fans for every single small expansion so that in the end we have "Game of the year" edition for the price of original game. All financed by idiots who bought the parts sequentially right after release.

If they will start pulling this kind of crap I'm out.

Edited by BugsVendor

So not just these three, four hour downloadable DLCs, but definitely big chunks of a story and a new hub to go to and things like that.

It can because it is a big chunk of story with a new hub to go to and things like that.

I'll be happy if they just fix this version of the game within the next 3 months. If they do that I will buy any DLC or expansions indiscriminately out of gratitude. (not that I hold out any hope of this at all)

On a more serious note they are partnered up with Paradox now. Although I mostly love Paradox they do have a wee bit of a reputation concerning DLC's.

@sleazebag

I'm not convinced. Will you get halfway through a quest and get a screen saying "to be continued...?" I've heard tales of the sword coast mentioned a few times which from (failing) memory was basically one big sidequest/dungeon, rather than a continuation like throne of bhaal. Seems like it would be a little jarring to go halfway through something like that and then just continue on with the main game. Are you going to load up an old save that has already completed the game just to do the second half of something like that when it comes out?

I wouldn't complain about two smaller expansions. I just don't understand how "one big" expansion can work in two parts, unless it is a continuation, ToB style. It doesn't make any sense to me.

Uh what? Why would they do that? It'll probably be handled like episodic content of Telltale games, but in two bigger parts. 

Or even a PoE 2 all together. Adding new location / items / quest to the same game is not interesting. I don't want to go through another playthrough just so I can experience few new items and some spin off story. 

To me this sounds a bit more like this: We will make PoE the game we wanted it to be in the first place. And we will milk our fans for every single small expansion so that in the end we have "Game of the year" edition for the price of original game. All financed by idiots who bought the parts sequentially right after release.

If they will start playing this kind of crap I'm out.

They are making a sequel but they're making an expansion first. That was one of the kickstarter promises and I have already paid for the expansion myself, so...

Seriously, do any of your posts include anything positive about Obsidian? Or not include some dumb conspiracy theory for that matter?

• Like 1

Guest BugsVendor

I'll be happy if they just fix this version of the game within the next 3 months. If they do that I will buy any DLC or expansions indiscriminately out of gratitude. (not that I hold out any hope of this at all)

On a more serious note they are partnered up with Paradox now. Although I mostly love Paradox they do have a wee bit of a reputation concerning DLC's.

Paradox's DLC policy is shameful & disgusting.

I can already see it coming to PoE:

2 New music soundtracks 15 $.

3 Portraits 10 $.

New race 20$.

15 new xaurip animations 12 $.

Oh God help us.

Paradox does have this reputation but it is mostly by those who don't actually understand how Paradox builds their DLCs.  Each main DLC adds a large amount of new gameplay unlike the traditional DLCs other publishers put out.  Additionally, with each major DLC, many new free features are added to the base game that are available to players who never pay for said DLC.

I can already see it coming to PoE:

2 New music soundtracks 15 $.

3 Portraits 10 $.

New race 20$.

15 new xaurip animations 12 $.

Oh God help us.

Nah bugs you don't have to worry about that. It won't happen. I guarantee it.

Guest BugsVendor

Paradox does have this reputation but it is mostly by those who don't actually understand how Paradox builds their DLCs.  Each main DLC adds a large amount of new gameplay unlike the traditional DLCs other publishers put out.  Additionally, with each major DLC, many new free features are added to the base game that are available to players who never pay for said DLC.

No They don't. Just look at Crusader Kings II.

There is DLC containing 3 music pieces or 20 new portraits and stuff like that.

Speaking of Crusader Kings 2, major DLCs include: Sword of Islam, Legacy of Rome, Republic, Old Gods, Sons of Abraham, Rajas of India, Charlemagne and Way of Life.  Those all add large chunks of gameplay.

I don't know, I didn't buy a single dlc or add-on for CK2, yet my game keeps improving since release for free...

They reworked the whole map and added India on last big update... It's either a disgusting dlc policy, or the most generous update policy out there (especially considering how ez it is for these games to get illegaly downloaded) ;)

Edited by CaptainMace
  • Like 3

Qu'avez-vous fait de l'honneur de la patrie ?

Maybe it will be like if TotSC had been split into two parts: releasing a first part with Ulgoth's Beard, Werewolf Island, etc. and then a second part with Durlag's Tower. Hopefully apart from areas/quests, they'll add a few new NPCs as well.

"Forsooth, methinks you are no ordinary talking chicken!"

-Protagonist, Baldur's Gate

Guest BugsVendor

Speaking of Crusader Kings 2, major DLCs include: Sword of Islam, Legacy of Rome, Republic, Old Gods, Sons of Abraham, Rajas of India, Charlemagne and Way of Life.  Those all add large chunks of gameplay.

That's true but also you have to admit there is like 40 -50 more which should really be the part of the game.

Charging for extra songs and putting 5 tracks into original game so you will be bored to death is not a nice policy.

Bah. Paradox could've bundled the gameplay, music, and graphics DLC into one item, but them everyone would've had to pay for all of it instead of just the parts you want. It's a consumer friendly model.

On topic, "chunky expansion" and "split into 2 parts" are not a contradiction. "Chunky" to me refers to total content amount, so as long as each part has lots of content (say 10-20 hours of gameplay?) they can each still be chunky.

"Wizards do not need to be The Dudes Who Can AoE Nuke You and Gish and Take as Many Hits as a Fighter and Make all Skills Irrelevant Because Magic."

-Josh Sawyer

That's true but also you have to admit there is like 40 -50 more which should really be the part of the game.

Charging for extra songs and putting 5 tracks into original game so you will be bored to death is not a nice policy.

You continue to be untruthful, the Crusader Kings 2 original soundtrack had over 20 tracks that clock in at just short of an hour and half of music.  Of course, when the average user playtime is 100+ hours, I suspect things might get a little dull in the music department.  Which is the exact reason they released those music packs, they are also available for free places like Spotify and Paradox's own YouTube channel.

Wow I've heard of rose colored glasses, these are deep musky brown. You could be right, but it is like you already feel betrayed. I look at it as Obsidian just rec'd some major cred points and is easily on the benefit of any doubt side of things. They went out and made a IE spirited game that many have been clamoring for years for and still no respect. In fact assuming deception from them, they just did us a huge and now we should be skeptical of them. Yeah that's well grounded. pfff

• Like 1

Guest BugsVendor

Wow I've heard of rose colored glasses, these are deep musky brown. You could be right, but it is like you already feel betrayed. I look at it as Obsidian just rec'd some major cred points and is easily on the benefit of any doubt side of things. They went out and made a IE spirited game that many have been clamoring for years for and still no respect. In fact assuming deception from them, they just did us a huge and now we should be skeptical of them. Yeah that's well grounded. pfff

Considering the state of game industry as a whole I think my course of action is way more probable than the rosy one.

But you are right it is too early to say what is going to happen. We can only wait an see.

Remember this is a business. Did I want PoE to happen? Very much so and it's success just shows what a huge demand there is for this type of games.

Believe me if they would reckon it wouldn't sell well, they wouldn't do it. I don't blame them, it's a normal thing to do. Just because they make money and enjoy doing what they are doing at the same time doesn't mean we should regards the devs as saints.

Given the market in it's current state I would keep both eyes wide opened as a customer.

I read the OP quote as a positive effort to make the biggest and best product possible - and the decision to put it into 2 parts to maximize the potential of the whole, rather than to weaken it. As the expansion is to be a big product, like classic expansions were, putting full effort into each part of the expansion can enable each piece to be robust, while doing it all as one could put more pressure on a larger focus, and pressure on Obsidian financially, and energy-wise.

I think what Feargus says in the interview is expressing that Obsidian are reaching-higher and not a settling-for-less.

Considering the state of game industry as a whole I think my course of action is way more probable than the rosy one.

I've only read this line, plenty to work off of that. This is like reading Facebook posters, I have it figure out you might not, unless you like it. That everything is getting worse, kids these days, Obomber's fault. Nonsense.

How about these facts, there has been a golden age resurgence of Iso RPG's, so when you say it is getting worse? Personally and honestly, as a whole it is way better than it ever has if resolution benefits alone, even vs the magical 90's. So many good TB games have been released the past two years. But we still show the scars of the dry years, I get that, but there is a point imo where you have to put the guns down Mr. Whales, the was is over.

Caveman, preached doom and talked about kids these days, but someone we've advanced quite a bit. There is some innate need to be gloomy.

EDIT: Read the rest, yeah lets wait and see, there is plenty of time to bitch and moan in the future. I don't agree with the state of the industry, I don't care what mobile or console games are doing, I'm talking right here in the TB/ISO world, it's blooming beautifully right now.

Edited by Horrorscope
  • Like 1