Linux GOG.com version (3 issues)

Ram

Question

I bought Pillars of Eternity the day it came out on the 26th of March from GOG.com. I run Linux as my primary operating system on my desktop computer.

I love the game, don't get me wrong - GOG.com staff offered me money back as credit for another game and I said no, because this problem occurs with every Linux version of their games, so it wouldn't have made a difference and since I like the game so much I wouldn't have agreed to give it up anyway, despite these problems.

These may be little, but they matter to me.

I'll list the problems below, in easy to read format:

1) The first problem is: Not properly packaged archive, instead of an installer.

a) As a result the game doesn't get installed and doesn't show up in the Games location on any distribution used, or tried on.

b) Cannot add the games shortcut to the panel in KDE, because it's not a properly packaged installed game.

c) Cannot add the games .png icon to the launcher (there are 2 in the folder of the launcher) in XFCE desktop (which I am using now for simplicity)

2) The second problem is: Capes have no visual representation on the characters models in game on the Linux version, but on the Windows version they do.

a) As a result it makes capes seem nothing more than invisible stat bonuses (if you happen to get ones that have them).

Those are the issues I'm experiencing on Linux. Hopefully someone can shed light on the problem and fix it. GOG.com staff are too lazy to care, I've asked them for help and they linked me here and offered money back as credit toward another game instead of actually assisting me. I did give them proper information to assist me, but they never did. Initially they stated that the distribution I was using at the time was not supported, which isn't actually true - considering the distribution is Ubuntu 14.04 which they say they support, but instead of the Unity desktop it uses the XFCE desktop. Before that I had tried it on Netrunner which is Ubuntu 14.04 based but uses KDE as it's desktop. The XFCE desktop was on Xubuntu, which is Ubuntu with XFCE. When I proceeded to tell them that information, they stated to me that the desktop environment is what's in question - which is just lazy for "I don't care, go to the forums".

I have let a friend try the game on his system to test out the issues I'm experiencing and he too has experienced them. However on the XFCE desktop environment he was able to add the games launcher file to the panel, but the other problems still existed.

I hope this has been enough information to get proper help with the issues. If not, please state what is needed and I will do my best as a relatively newer Linux user to get you the requested information.

I don't mean to be rude, I'm just being honest, and showing how I feel through my words here. I will not use curse words.

Thank you for your time.

Sincerely,

Ram

3 answers to this question

1) The first problem is: Not properly packaged archive, instead of an installer.

a) As a result the game doesn't get installed and doesn't show up in the Games location on any distribution used, or tried on.

I've created a .desktop file for this. Posted in another thread, but it seems I must wait for someone to approve the post. Since it was asked directly here and maybe it is useful for someone else:

[Desktop Entry]
Version=1.0
Type=Application
Name=Pillars of Eternity
Comment=
Exec="/path/to/Pillars of Eternity/start.sh"
Terminal=false
Categories=Game;
Icon=/path/to/Pillars of Eternity/game/PillarsOfEternity.png

Edit Exec and Icon accordingly, save to $HOME/.local/share/applications/pillars_of_eternity.desktop

Will show up in XFCE menu games (and probably any other desktop environment, too)

• Like 1

I bought Pillars of Eternity the day it came out on the 26th of March from GOG.com. I run Linux as my primary operating system on my desktop computer.

I love the game, don't get me wrong - GOG.com staff offered me money back as credit for another game and I said no, because this problem occurs with every Linux version of their games, so it wouldn't have made a difference and since I like the game so much I wouldn't have agreed to give it up anyway, despite these problems.

These may be little, but they matter to me.

I'll list the problems below, in easy to read format:

b) Cannot add the games shortcut to the panel in KDE, because it's not a properly packaged installed game.

c) Cannot add the games .png icon to the launcher (there are 2 in the folder of the launcher) in XFCE desktop (which I am using now for simplicity)

2) The second problem is: Capes have no visual representation on the characters models in game on the Linux version, but on the Windows version they do.

a) As a result it makes capes seem nothing more than invisible stat bonuses (if you happen to get ones that have them).

Those are the issues I'm experiencing on Linux. Hopefully someone can shed light on the problem and fix it. GOG.com staff are too lazy to care, I've asked them for help and they linked me here and offered money back as credit toward another game instead of actually assisting me. I did give them proper information to assist me, but they never did. Initially they stated that the distribution I was using at the time was not supported, which isn't actually true - considering the distribution is Ubuntu 14.04 which they say they support, but instead of the Unity desktop it uses the XFCE desktop. Before that I had tried it on Netrunner which is Ubuntu 14.04 based but uses KDE as it's desktop. The XFCE desktop was on Xubuntu, which is Ubuntu with XFCE. When I proceeded to tell them that information, they stated to me that the desktop environment is what's in question - which is just lazy for "I don't care, go to the forums".

I have let a friend try the game on his system to test out the issues I'm experiencing and he too has experienced them. However on the XFCE desktop environment he was able to add the games launcher file to the panel, but the other problems still existed.

I hope this has been enough information to get proper help with the issues. If not, please state what is needed and I will do my best as a relatively newer Linux user to get you the requested information.

I don't mean to be rude, I'm just being honest, and showing how I feel through my words here. I will not use curse words.

Thank you for your time.

Sincerely,

Ram

There isn't an issue you have raised that the Gog staff can help you with--they did what they could do, which is to offer you your money back.  Those are all developer issues, and Gog is a distributor of the game, not a developer.  Gog is at the mercy of whatever Obsidian provides for them in the way of files and patches.  When Gog (or Steam) lists what OSes the game supports and so on, that is a list the developer provides them.

It's very well known that I don't make mistakes, so if you should stumble across the odd error here and there in what I have written, you may immediately deduce--quite correctly--that I did not write it... :biggrin:

I've created a .desktop file for this. Posted in another thread, but it seems I must wait for someone to approve the post. Since it was asked directly here and maybe it is useful for someone else:

[Desktop Entry]
Version=1.0
Type=Application
Name=Pillars of Eternity
Comment=
Exec="/path/to/Pillars of Eternity/start.sh"
Terminal=false
Categories=Game;
Icon=/path/to/Pillars of Eternity/game/PillarsOfEternity.png

Edit Exec and Icon accordingly, save to $HOME/.local/share/applications/pillars_of_eternity.desktop

Will show up in XFCE menu games (and probably any other desktop environment, too)

Thanks, this solves the only problem that I as a user could solve from this post. So I'll mark it as solved. The other issues apparently they are working on, considering one of them isn't working on Linux because it's feature isn't supported on it. So I'll just have to wait on that, and the other problem - well... it is apparently not related to the game itself anymore. So it's source is caused from something else entirely.