After spending a lot of  time struggling on what to play as the main character, I finally decided that I'm going for either a barbarian or monk because I don't want to overlap any NPC, and I don't like rogues.

I want to build some sort of striker, probably wielding a 2hander. Are mons any good with 2h weapons? What stats are important for these two? I'll be playing on Hard

At this point I have no doubt that Barbarians are good, but atm I'm more inclined to play a Monk due to RP reasons.

I'd have no interest in fighting unarmed, tough. I'm thinking about going 2H or one handed sword. Can this work?

Yea but unless an enemy has crust resistance ive found my fists hit harder than most weapons (and are cheaper too XD) im sure if i see good enough weapons i will use them.

Go with barbarian if you want to wield a two-hander. Monks are dual wielding fist users.

Whatchu talkin' about? Monks are sword-and-shield fighters.

Monks can fight with their fists, but unarmed falls behind pretty rapidly, and even if you want to dual-wield, it's generally better to use weapons.

If I'm typing in red, it means I'm being sarcastic. But not this time.

Dark green, on the other hand, is for jokes and irony in general.

Go with barbarian if you want to wield a two-hander. Monks are dual wielding fist users.

Monks can fight with their fists, but unarmed falls behind pretty rapidly, and even if you want to dual-wield, it's generally better to use weapons.

they dont drop off until you have pretty high level weapons. Especially with the accuracy, makes you hit for more in PoTD especially with all the high deflection values

My main character is monk and I also created a barbarian in tavern and they both destroy everything in their path.(hard difficulty) Especially barbarian's brute force/threatening presence combo is crazy because it's almost like a permanent +10 accuracy (foes around you are sickened(-10 fortitude) ALL the time, its %100 confirmed, tested many times) and he crits quite often even on carnage attacks. Btw if you don't know what brute force is it is a passive that lets you hit fortitude instead of deflection if it's the lower defense. It's huge.

Do not get abilities like Barbaric Shout or self heals on your Barb. You can apply those effects with your casters. Go FULL offensive with your abilities and talents. Take blooded and frenzy too, you'll thank me later when you see the damage numbers.

My barb wields two handed swords. Estocs are also really good because you get the best unique estoc after clearing the endless paths and it gives attack speed, really valuable stat. I also give him an item with second chance(you rise again when your endurance is zero) and also boots that let him stay up for 3 more seconds.(found on a special NPC that you can defeat and capture). Perfectly synergizes with the class.

As for monk i built mine with swift strikes and lots of cc abilities he has a great damage output and his fists are actually better for most of the game and it just got a buff in last patch. Don't believe people that say otherwise. Also fists deal crushing damage and you can further increase your damage with swift strike upgrade(%10 lightning damage) and also turning wheel (%5 fire damage PER WOUND) I suggest getting only cc and damage abilities on Monk, defensive stuff are not really that good, they give stuff like minor deflection and other defenses.

Turn Eder into full tank with shield mastery, he'll have something like 110 deflection in Defiance Bay, he can be a great tank. Let him tank and hit them safely with ur Monk/Barbarian whatever you choose.

Min-max your stats towards offensive build. If you pick barb increase your might and dex as much as you can. Constitution is actually not that important!!! The deflection penalty per and res. gives are nothing, later you get huge deflection buffs on your priest. Like +20 deflection! Also there are rings that increase deflection by 10+. It's really easy to increase. Don't forget the hardest stats to increase are attack speed and damage bonus. Thats why high might/dex and abilities that give as are really important. Later on the game unique items that increase your attack speed are the best. Also the ones that give endurance leech.

Edited by tnc

Call me a purist. I dislike the idea of using a shield on my monks.