Hey Oby!

JFSOCC

• Like 9

Remember: Argue the point, not the person. Remain polite and constructive. Friendly forums have friendly debate. There's no shame in being wrong. If you don't have something to add, don't post for the sake of it. And don't be afraid to post thoughts you are uncertain about, that's what discussion is for.
---
Pet threads, everyone has them. I love imagining Gods, Monsters, Factions and Weapons.

Yeah Oby is paid to push stuff to an insignificant place like this...

Why has elegance found so little following? Elegance has the disadvantage that hard work is needed to achieve it and a good education to appreciate it. - Edsger Wybe Dijkstra

So the JIDF was so popular it had to be copied?

"Akiva Goldsman and Alex Kurtzman run the 21st century version of MK ULTRA." - majestic

"I'm gonna hunt you down so that I can slap you square in the mouth." - Bartimaeus

"Without individual thinking you can't notice the plot holes." - InsaneCommander

"Just feed off the suffering of gamers." - Malcador

"You are calling my taste crap." -Hurlshort

"thankfully it seems like the creators like Hungary less this time around." - Sarex

"Don't forget the wakame, dumbass" -Keyrock

"Are you trolling or just being inadvertently nonsensical?' -Pidesco

"we have already been forced to admit you are at least human" - uuuhhii

"I refuse to buy from non-woke businesses" - HoonDing

"feral camels are now considered a pest" - Gorth

"Melkathi is known to be an overly critical grumpy person" - Melkathi

"Oddly enough Sanderson was a lot more direct despite being a Mormon" - Zoraptor

"I found it greatly disturbing to scroll through my cartoon's halfing selection of genitalias." - Wormerine

"Am I phrasing in the most negative light for them? Yes, but it's not untrue." - ShadySands

I thought that was just a joke at /pol/  :blink:

Edited by Meshugger

"Some men see things as they are and say why?"
"I dream things that never were and say why not?"
- George Bernard Shaw

"Hope in reality is the worst of all evils because it prolongs the torments of man."
- Friedrich Nietzsche

"The amount of energy necessary to refute bull**** is an order of magnitude bigger than to produce it."

- Some guy 

I thought that was just a joke at /pol/  :blink:

No it's real.

http://www.thejidf.org

"Akiva Goldsman and Alex Kurtzman run the 21st century version of MK ULTRA." - majestic

"I'm gonna hunt you down so that I can slap you square in the mouth." - Bartimaeus

"Without individual thinking you can't notice the plot holes." - InsaneCommander

"thankfully it seems like the creators like Hungary less this time around." - Sarex

"Oddly enough Sanderson was a lot more direct despite being a Mormon" - Zoraptor

"I found it greatly disturbing to scroll through my cartoon's halfing selection of genitalias." - Wormerine

"Am I phrasing in the most negative light for them? Yes, but it's not untrue." - ShadySands

Places like this are far more significant than you think in the war of information and ideas.

Taken by itself, pretty much any forum or bit of social media can be considered insignificant. Taken by itself nearly every conversation ever had in the history of the world can be considered insignificant. It's a mistake to look at things that way however.

A hypothetical paid government troll wouldn't just be posting here, they'd be posting many places under all sorts of names. Oby puts maybe an hour or two a week into this forum, tops, he's got plenty of time to troll it up elsewhere.

That said, I don't think Oby is a paid government troll, I just use him as an example.

• Like 2

Places like this as in 'social media', perhaps. But the Obsidian forums, heh. Some of Oby's stuff does me laugh in how out of the blue it is, so that's something.

• Like 1

Why has elegance found so little following? Elegance has the disadvantage that hard work is needed to achieve it and a good education to appreciate it. - Edsger Wybe Dijkstra

All the cool kids are doing it. Old news.

http://mondoweiss.net/2013/08/covert-online-students-hasbara-units-directed-out-of-israeli-pm-netanyaus-office

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/7783640.stm

This is how the pros do it, though: https://firstlook.org/theintercept/2014/07/14/manipulating-online-polls-ways-british-spies-seek-control-internet/ (with cool Bond-like op codenames and all; I like CHANGELING in particular)

Now I'm wondering how we got downgraded from the philosophical Lord of Flies to the girls gone wild Oby.

He was promoted and now serves in a management/overseeing capacity.

Edited by 213374U
  • Like 1

- When he is best, he is a little worse than a man, and when he is worst, he is little better than a beast.

This is old news, Russia (and China) has been featuring the Freedom House **** list for a while, as well as leading the state-sponsored propaganda effort for at least three years. Although to be fair, now all the big boys do it to some extent:

Russia: Web brigades, first alleged in April 2003

China: Internet Water Army, 50 Cent Party, in operation since October 2004

United States: Operation Earnest Voice, officially started in 2011

United Kingdom: revealed in February 2014.

Speaking off, you might be interested in this blog Russias Media Imperialism , which provide the backdrop to much of the events in Russia's ongoing real-estate grab on the shores of the black sea.

• Like 1

Places like this are far more significant than you think in the war of information and ideas.

Taken by itself, pretty much any forum or bit of social media can be considered insignificant. Taken by itself nearly every conversation ever had in the history of the world can be considered insignificant. It's a mistake to look at things that way however.

A hypothetical paid government troll wouldn't just be posting here, they'd be posting many places under all sorts of names. Oby puts maybe an hour or two a week into this forum, tops, he's got plenty of time to troll it up elsewhere.

That said, I don't think Oby is a paid government troll, I just use him as an example.

So near and yet so far.

Because obviously oby isn't a paid troll. He's just doing precisely what the paid trolls are paid to do. It must be for all the positive social reinforcement we give him.

"It wasn't lies. It was just... bull****"."

-Elwood Blues

tarna's dead; processing... complete. Disappointed by Universe. RIP Hades/Sand/etc. Here's hoping your next alt has a harp.

I'd lean more towards oby being an alt rather than a paid troll. I suspect that one of LadyCrimson's cats is behind it, but I have no proof.

• Like 3

More likely to get shills for EA here.

*cough*alanshu*cough*

*cough*alanshu*cough*

Considering Alan talked openly about his work for Bioware, I am guessing you don't understand what a shill is.  He also left since everyone decides to get on his case about his job.  Kind of sad that people make a developer feel that unwelcome, given that he is one of the few that can give actual insight on the way games are made.   :getlost:

• Like 4

Probably consider he's not being entirely serious. He's flounced off ? I assumed he just busy with DA:I related things.

We should just rename WOT to Oby's playhouse.

"Show me a man who "plays fair" and I'll show you a very talented cheater."

I'd lean more towards oby being an alt rather than a paid troll.

Ah, but have you worked out that Bruce and Oby are both the same person's alts yet? We're through the looking glass here, people! Or are we?

Now I'm wondering how we got downgraded from the philosophical Lord of Flies to the girls gone wild Oby.

Oby is far lower effort for more reward. LoF was higher effort and was largely ignored by the end.

Alternatively, it was like seeing a Jehovah's Witness or 7th Day Adventist slowly get more and more depressed about all the unbelievers around him, until finally he stopped trying, gave up, and went mad. So we should all feel ashamed.

• Like 1