Ever make a decision based on what your character would do, but you didn't want to? Anything you still feel guilty about?

I'm playing a morally-ambiguous rogue, correcting wrongs where profitable and punishing douchebaggery where affordable. I've barely set foot inside Defiance Bay and there's already been a few cases where the more lucrative course of action was at odds with my own morals, but made the most sense in light of character.

Some of it involved the deaths of NPCs that I didn't want to see dead (spoiler: like Moedred because I..uh..my character, wanted to loot his office) and the resulting inner conflict has only made the game more interesting.

Anyone got stories like that? Does your character do the things you would, or do you do things your character would?

I killed those villagers with Aloth, but nobody cared so I guess it is not too bad?

Oh yes, also I let the Adra Dragon take over that dragon hunter. I felt a bit guilty but I had no option of digging the Adra Dragon out and dragons are adorable. :dragon:

In my first play through I went with a Paladin who was *too* good, that is to say he tried to violently resolve *any* interaction with perceived evils. 

It lead to him slaughtering fairly sizable portions of some cities...  There were also a few COMPLETE, I swear, misunderstandings that led to bloodshed on a fairly massive scale... 

This is the whole reason I play Paladin in PnP rgps. A good DM can make you feel like utter crap when playing the hero. Arresting the woman stealing crucial medicine for her brother, letting the hostage die so you can catch the villain, killing the likable chaotic good vampire. 

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

There were a lot of grey scenarios but the baby one I drew the line at. Doing it was the 'right' (most exp) thing to do, but, F that! Simply wasnt gonna do it.

Instead I got labelled a 'takes a baby into the most dangerous place in all the lands' as my legacy

"Arresting the woman stealing crucial medicine for her brother, letting the hostage die so you can catch the villain, killing the likable chaotic good vampire. "

L0L Sounds like you are playing LN paladin not LG paladin. (not that has to do with how PE paladins work though)

DWARVES IN PROJECT ETERNITY = VOLOURN HAS PLEDGED $250.

I rationalized all of the things that turned out badly as big "misunderstandings" I mean....  Yes, my generally benevolent Paladin killed every person in the Sanitarium, it was a complete misunderstanding.  Yes, I did the bidding of the Gods and killed all of the war-paint manufacturers for no real reason other than to please the Gods.  BUT THEY GAVE ME A VISION!  I told Calisca's sister the truth instead of letting her believe she'd have a normal pregnancy, for no reason; because truth.

* I convinced a woman to kill herself, just to get help of a God, even if I was not convinced, I didn't get any trouble with her, and i didn't really need the help.

* I killed a beautiful Mother Dragon and her baby, even if I didn't need it. Excuse: the dragon was quiet agressive.

* I made some people upset, so they attacked me, so I could kill them and loot them. Especially when I felt that to be diplomatic wouldn't work... so I got the excuse that I was diplomatic, not my fault if they were violent.

(To be honnest, it's a a weird point in the game for me. Everyone is really agressive, and people attack you when they don't agree with you. Even if they are alone, an you get a very powerful team, well equiped, and with great reputation! Life's value seems to be different in this world... but still, people were too crazy, it was stupid to attack my group, even if they don't have aother solutions.)

* I stole a baby. I really just wanted to look at it, and find him a quiet place, but nobody believes me...

* I would have sacrifice a friend to get permanent stat increase. (I learned that when I finished the game. But the blood pool didn't do anything for me, so I didn't sacrifice. I don't know why it didn't work.)

* I used spells or abilities to make people kill their friends, family,  or masters.

But the worst, for me:

* In a cave, I killed a spider-man with no good reason, with extinction of his race, just to be able to make a powerful weapon. (Internet helped me to know that.) Anyway, I didn't make the weapon, because I refused to sacrifice a part of my soul... and it was not a such interesting weapon. (Even if the sacrifice was not real... technically?)

* I helped to kill a merchant, to be friend with mafia in a big city. Excuse: I didn't kill him myself (I run in another room and I let bad guys doing bad job), and he was condemned anyway... Bu I felt really guilty! :D

"Guilty" kinda. My biggest problem was with the baby in Twin Elms, i understood the pain of the leader and after all i respected their cultur (who i am to judge) but no way i would kill a baby. On the otherside helping his son murdering his father was also a no go, but in my eyes still the better option, so i got the poison...turns out i couldn´t convince him to drink it because of lack of stats (that is stupid Obsidian..) and i had to kill everyone in there!

That left a very bitter taste. :getlost:

"A reader lives a thousand lives before he dies, the man who never reads lives one."