Welcome to Obsidian Forum Community
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

The portrait selection is beyond awful (I am sure someone else has posted this already)

• Please log in to reply
60 replies to this topic

Sleazebag

Sleazebag

(3) Conjurer

• Members
  • 124 posts
  • Pillars of Eternity Backer
  • Kickstarter Backer
  • Deadfire Backer
  • Fig Backer

My unique character is into body modding, yet there is no portrait that has tattoos, piercings, scarifications, horn implants and genital pearls. What the hell obsidian? How can I immerse myself into the game now? I had to make a custom portrait in photoshop that had such features, but then I ran into another problem! There's no voice set that sounds exactly like Chali 2na - and my character sounds exactly like him! Now I have to spend hours cutting lines from his songs to make my character concept work.

• Ineth likes this

DocDoomII

DocDoomII

Archvillain of the Obsidian Order

• Members
  • 844 posts
  • PSN Portable ID:DocDoomII
  • Pillars of Eternity Silver Backer
  • Kickstarter Backer

Now I have to spend hours cutting lines from his songs to make my character concept work.

Having a character that talks only with pieces of songs would be awesome.

• Moira likes this

Mansen

Mansen

(3) Conjurer

• Members
  • 138 posts
  • Kickstarter Backer

I'm not normally one to praise Dragon Age but their custom portrait system was great. Spent 60 hours with a crosseyed, off center dwarf facing the wrong direction on a neon pink background and could not be happier.

I found it to be absolutely horrid. 3D portraits have no place in a game like Pillars of Eternity (Or Dragon Age: Origins at that)

As pointed out there is a metric ton of custom portraits available on the internet - Not for the three "original" races of course, but you can get lucky at times and find one that fits - or adjust it yourself to match.

https://dl.dropboxus...raits_05_04.rar

Here's my personal collection of (processed) portraits for the game. Just the ones I've given some personal attention in photoshop to match the dimensions and theme of the game.

• Arsene Lupin likes this

Cluas

Cluas

(4) Theurgist

• Members
  • 224 posts
  • Steam:Cluascorp

Well it could actually work pretty good with a system like DA:O - Guess it is too late for that, so ...

I took screenshots in my char creation, and used for portraits, it looks a bit blurry, but worked alright in-game... 

cust-portr-ingam.jpg

Yeah - I think it worked fine, for my custom Moon-godlike party - But it took me a few hours of work

BTW : It is SAD that we can't customize the portraits/voices in-game- It would be SO much easier. I would be so cool ...

Edited by Cluas, 05 April 2015 - 02:44 AM.

• Wulfram and Moira like this

DocDoomII

DocDoomII

• Members
  • 844 posts
  • Kickstarter Backer

How can you not customize portraits?

I added 46 portraits to my game.

Beardedgeek72

Beardedgeek72

(1) Prestidigitator

• Members
  • 11 posts

I'm not normally one to praise Dragon Age but their custom portrait system was great. Spent 60 hours with a crosseyed, off center dwarf facing the wrong direction on a neon pink background and could not be happier.

I found it to be absolutely horrid. 3D portraits have no place in a game like Pillars of Eternity (Or Dragon Age: Origins at that)

As pointed out there is a metric ton of custom portraits available on the internet - Not for the three "original" races of course, but you can get lucky at times and find one that fits - or adjust it yourself to match.

https://dl.dropboxus...raits_05_04.rar

Here's my personal collection of (processed) portraits for the game. Just the ones I've given some personal attention in photoshop to match the dimensions and theme of the game.

What is horrid about it? It looks good, and is the logical conclusion of actually being able to modify your character. 

My point is that the two system clashes, a problem that IWD and BG didn't have (or Fallout for that matter): You cannot both have a detailed in depth visual character creation process AND handpainted 2D portraits. Because they clash. If I spend 30 minutes building my blond mohawk pirate elf, I want a portrait that at least REMOTELY look like that.

In BG and BG2 that wasn't an issue because quite frankly you could not customize your characters enough for it to matter.

Btw Shadowrun Returns had the generic portrait option, a black silhouette, for each race and gender if you couldn't find one you liked.There is one "generic" file in the art folder in this game but it is not used, it seems.

As for your file: Thank you. I mean it. But I have already looked at, and discarded, all of those.

Btw as it looks now  I am going back to one of three options:

The hooded pale elf. The hood looks awesome but the skin color is too white. 

The hooded (blue with pattern) human female. The skin color is awesome but the hood is a little too garish for me.

The hooded (white with pattern) human female. The skin color is too dark, however.

If I could get the face of the caucasian human with the black assassin hood of the pale elf... that would be perfect. I can live with only seeing the mouth and nose, because that allows me to create the rest as I want.

FootDive

FootDive

(1) Prestidigitator

• Members
  • 25 posts
  • Kickstarter Backer

Basically what the thread title says.

Too few portraits. Too little variation.

Here is a riddle for you: Why go through the hassle of making 3D models with detailed choices for looks, if you are still going to use Portraits for characters and not a still picture from the character creation process (like Dragon Age. It's brilliant)?

I have yet to start this game 3 days after installing it because I have been desperately trying to find a custom portrait online that looks like the character I want to create. Of course those portraits will clash like hell against the game UI, but what can you do...

If you're having so much problems finding a custom portrait for THREE DAYS then the issue comes down more with you as opposed to the portrait selection. Don't get me wrong, it does need more variations but struggling to play the game because you can't find your own portrait of your liking (of which there is plenty on the web) is an issue of your own.

Tartantyco

Tartantyco

(6) Magician

• Members
  • 787 posts
  • Kickstarter Backer
  • Deadfire Silver Backer
  • Fig Backer

The real issue is that there are 3(6) races that have portraits with no visual overlap(Aumaua, Orlan, Godlike). If you take Baldur's Gate, for instance, you could use a lot of portraits interchangably between most races. Dwarves kind of required beards and Elves had pointy ears(And many portraits obscure ears), but that was about it.

In terms of pure quantity, PoE wins hands down. However, because of the visual distinctiveness of 3(6) races, and the fact that existing portraits are too revealing(Showing pointy ears, for instance), the selection is drastically reduced for all races, and pretty much singular in some instances.

For the Aumaua, the Orlans, and the Godlikes, there's no real fix. They need more race- and subrace-specific portraits. With the rest, overlap is possible if they're made properly. Humans are interchangeable with Elves and Dwarves, Elves with Humans, and Dwarves with Humans. Just keep the visual distinctions(Ears, beards) ambiguous.

Edited by Tartantyco, 05 April 2015 - 03:49 AM.

• sparklecat and bonegolem like this

bonegolem

bonegolem

(1) Prestidigitator

• Members
  • 7 posts
  • Kickstarter Backer

The real issue is that there are 3(6) races that have portraits with no visual overlap(Aumaua, Orlan, Godlike). If you take Baldur's Gate, for instance, you could use a lot of portraits interchangably between most races. Dwarves kind of required beards and Elves had pointy ears(And many portraits obscure ears), but that was about it.

In terms of pure quantity, PoE wins hands down. However, because of the visual distinctiveness of 3(6) races, and the fact that existing portraits are too revealing(Showing pointy ears, for instance), the selection is drastically reduced for all races, and pretty much singular in some instances.

For the Aumaua, the Orlans, and the Godlikes, there's no real fix. They need more race- and subrace-specific portraits. With the rest, overlap is possible if they're made properly. Humans are interchangeable with Elves and Dwarves, Elves with Humans, and Dwarves with Humans. Just keep the visual distinctions(Ears, beards) ambiguous.

Quite correct.

Especially considering there are several types of Godlikes, and they don't look alike.

tinderbox

tinderbox

(2) Evoker

• Members
  • 94 posts
  • Deadfire Silver Backer
  • Fig Backer

Devs did mention in the backer beta forum during the beta feedback process that they would continue to make and release character portraits post-full release. I can't recall the precise scheduling -- I don't think it was actually stated with certainty -- but the implication was it would be part of the pre-mapped patch schedule at some point down the track. So we should see new portraits "soon" ei: before the expansion pack hits.

scottyford

scottyford

(1) Prestidigitator

• Members
  • 17 posts

I agree the portrait selection is terrible. I mean the Godlikes only have 1!! Oh well, I guess it is fairly straightforward to add custom portraits? It doesn't say how in the manual..

Cluas

Cluas

(4) Theurgist

• Members
  • 224 posts
  • Steam:Cluascorp

I agree the portrait selection is terrible. I mean the Godlikes only have 1!! Oh well, I guess it is fairly straightforward to add custom portraits? It doesn't say how in the manual..

http://forums.obsidi...stom-portraits/

LLaney

LLaney

Obsidian Alumni

• Members
  • 131 posts

Devs did mention in the backer beta forum during the beta feedback process that they would continue to make and release character portraits post-full release. I can't recall the precise scheduling -- I don't think it was actually stated with certainty -- but the implication was it would be part of the pre-mapped patch schedule at some point down the track. So we should see new portraits "soon" ei: before the expansion pack hits.

I can't say one way or the other about this specifically, but I will say all of your concerns have been vigorously noted, and it is very helpful to hear here and in other threads what you all are finding lacking in the portrait selection. In fact, if someone were to set up a poll for responders to submit what they are seeking most, that would be even more helpful~

• Grand_Commander13, AndreaColombo, Moira and 1 other like this

DocDoomII

DocDoomII

• Members
  • 844 posts
  • Kickstarter Backer

I can't say one way or the other about this specifically, but I will say all of your concerns have been vigorously noted, and it is very helpful to hear here and in other threads what you all are finding lacking in the portrait selection. In fact, if someone were to set up a poll for responders to submit what they are seeking most, that would be even more helpful~

Poll incoming in 3... 2... 1...

and here it is
http://forums.obsidi...ke-to-see-next/

Edited by DocDoomII, 05 April 2015 - 08:45 AM.

Beardedgeek72

Beardedgeek72

(1) Prestidigitator

• Members
  • 11 posts

Not familiar enough with this forum to set up a poll yet (I am still being audited as a newcomer for example) but:

1. More portraits for the unique races.

2. More ambigious portraits, as stated above.

3. At least one portrait per race for the available hair colors and 2-3 of the skin colors. 

4. At least one portrait per race using a non-standard hairdo, like the mohawk or "bald with braids".

Also, is it just me or is everyone so... nice? How about some drunk, angry, scared, etc faces?

ProjectBG2Respawn

ProjectBG2Respawn

(3) Conjurer

• Members
  • 144 posts
  • PSN Portable ID:Samsho--

Try this website : http://drakonis.org/...umans_and_elves

Oh joy ! Oh happiness !

ProjectBG2Respawn

ProjectBG2Respawn

(3) Conjurer

• Members
  • 144 posts

Here's a badass aumaua : http://drakonis.org/...gory/79-reptile

ProjectBG2Respawn

ProjectBG2Respawn

(3) Conjurer

• Members
  • 144 posts

UP !

I'm sure you'll be glad to see this

ProjectBG2Respawn

ProjectBG2Respawn

(3) Conjurer

• Members
  • 144 posts

Heroic-fantasy gangsta : http://drakonis.org/...ry/84-pirates_m

gurugeorgey

gurugeorgey

(1) Prestidigitator

• Members
  • 13 posts

It's an odd thing because the painted look of portraits is a big part of the charm of these games, for me, but at the same time it is frustrating (granted, in a #firstworldproblems sense :) ) not to be able to have a portrait that matches the character you've created.

Maybe for an expansion, Obsidian could commission a ton more portraits, and have the character creator START with portrait selection.  That way, you create the 3-d avatar according to the "feel" you get from the portrait you choose at the beginning?

Or, what about having a portrait creator similar the amazing character creation in EVE Online?  That way you could have an incredibly rich and detailed 3-d creation for just the portrait (tons of options, backgrounds, lighting, etc.), then you take a posed "photo" of it?  Then you model the actual in-game 3-d avatar as a simplified version of that?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users