The portrait selection is beyond awful (I am sure someone else has posted this already)

Basically what the thread title says.

Too few portraits. Too little variation.

Here is a riddle for you: Why go through the hassle of making 3D models with detailed choices for looks, if you are still going to use Portraits for characters and not a still picture from the character creation process (like Dragon Age. It's brilliant)?

I have yet to start this game 3 days after installing it because I have been desperately trying to find a custom portrait online that looks like the character I want to create. Of course those portraits will clash like hell against the game UI, but what can you do...

• Like 1

I have yet to start this game 3 days after installing it because I have been desperately trying to find a custom portrait online that looks like the character I want to create.

#1stworldproblems

• Like 17

sonsofgygax.JPG

I have yet to start this game 3 days after installing it because I have been desperately trying to find a custom portrait online that looks like the character I want to create.

The internet never disappoints.

• Like 2

Guest BugsVendor

It sure is almost a non issue but I would welcome more portraits as well.

I think there is a good variety if you play humano dwarfo elfy dude but for any of the more distinct looking races there is 1 or 2 options only.

Open photoshop and make your own, that's the fun part.

Having trouble with the games combat on POTD, Trial of Iron?

- Hurtin bomb droppin MONK - [MONK BUILD] - [CLICK HERE]

- Think Rangers suck? You're wrong - [RANGER BUILD] + Tactics/Strategies - [CLICK HERE]

- Fighter Heavy Tank - [FIGHTER BUILD] + Tactics/Strategies - [CLICK HERE]

Despite what I may post, I'm a huge fan of Pillars of Eternity, it's one of my favorite RPG's.

Anita Sarkeesian keeps Bioware's balls in a jar on her shelf.

Subject would have better read "I Did Not Find a Portrait That Fit My Individual Character Concept." There are a lot of official portraits available. Many more than BG/BG2/IWD. Most of them are fantastic. Other portraits are available online, as you've already mentioned. It is not the responsibility of the developers to produce a visual representation of the exact image in your mind.

Yeah. I remember pointing out this as a problem with the backer beta back when it first started. There are far too few portraits, and they're not properly segregated--a male orlan, for example, shouldn't be able to use the portrait of a female elf.

Sadly, as was the case with Wasteland 2, the portraits in the beta were all the portraits in the release version. Clearly, Obisidian has a number of talented artists: instead of having them do little sketches for each and every Bestiary entry, I think we'd all have been better served with more portraits.

Subject would have better read "I Did Not Find a Portrait That Fit My Individual Character Concept." There are a lot of official portraits available. Many more than BG/BG2/IWD. Most of them are fantastic. Other portraits are available online, as you've already mentioned. It is not the responsibility of the developers to produce a visual representation of the exact image in your mind.

That is absolutely not true. There may seem to be a lot of portraits, but that's only because they're all lumped together--every race and gender in one big pool. If you want to play as a female Orlan, for example, you have only 3 choices; if you want to play as a female Wild Orlan, you've only 1.

Edited by Arsene Lupin
  • Like 6

I definitely would have liked more Godlike portraits. Female Nature and Fire get three and two, respectively, everyone else gets one. Kinda wish there was a female Death portrait for the second head. I think it was the second. Not the super huge one.

"Heh heh. Dirt... Nap... Dirt nap!"

Guarantee we'll get more in the expansion.

Dunno about before then.

I'm making due. There are helmed/hooded ones that multi-purpose.

Male Aumaua IMO is the worst right now. There's one with a beard but the models themselves can't have beards which is a travesty.

I like it that we're free to pick whatever portrait for a chatacter, regardless of race or gender. Why limit it? The portrait selection is offered prioritized by the selected race and we see the available sprite colors etc. before choosing the portrait so I don't see the problem.

Guest BugsVendor

#1stworldproblems

Sure it is not game breaking or anything.

This is the forum for the game and he felt like saying it so what's the big deal ?

Let the people voice their opinions.

I'm playing elf too, but unfortunately there isn't any elf portrait that looks like the faces you can choose for your character.

As for elfes there are just 3 different faces, I thought at least these three different looking elfes will have a matching portrait.

But not a big problem for me at all - I just chose the portrait where the hood covers nearly the whole face. I'm fine with that one.

There are already 64 portraits. To have 1 portrait for every variation possible you would need more than 1050 portraits and that is a conservative estimate without even taking into consideration various color combinations.

Edited by draek

There are already 64 portraits. To have 1 portrait for every variation possible you would need more than 1050 portraits and that is a conservative estimate without even taking into consideration various color combinations.

That's not quite true. Look at Shadowrun Returns for a good example of how to make do with a small number of portraits--you take the portrait, and then simply re-work the colors so that you can have multiple variations of the same portrait with different skin tones and hair colors.

• Like 1

I'm not normally one to praise Dragon Age but their custom portrait system was great. Spent 60 hours with a crosseyed, off center pigtailed dwarf facing the wrong direction on a neon pink background and could not be happier.

Edited by Bhazor
  • Like 3

My unique character is into body modding, yet there is no portrait that has tattoos, piercings, scarifications, horn implants and genital pearls. What the hell obsidian? How can I immerse myself into the game now? I had to make a custom portrait in photoshop that had such features, but then I ran into another problem! There's no voice set that sounds exactly like Chali 2na - and my character sounds exactly like him! Now I have to spend hours cutting lines from his songs to make my character concept work.

• Like 1

I'm not normally one to praise Dragon Age but their custom portrait system was great. Spent 60 hours with a crosseyed, off center dwarf facing the wrong direction on a neon pink background and could not be happier.

I found it to be absolutely horrid. 3D portraits have no place in a game like Pillars of Eternity (Or Dragon Age: Origins at that)

As pointed out there is a metric ton of custom portraits available on the internet - Not for the three "original" races of course, but you can get lucky at times and find one that fits - or adjust it yourself to match.

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/7411861/Andet/PoE_portraits_05_04.rar

Here's my personal collection of (processed) portraits for the game. Just the ones I've given some personal attention in photoshop to match the dimensions and theme of the game.

• Like 1

Well it could actually work pretty good with a system like DA:O - Guess it is too late for that, so ...

I took screenshots in my char creation, and used for portraits, it looks a bit blurry, but worked alright in-game... 

cust-portr-ingam.jpg

Yeah - I think it worked fine, for my custom Moon-godlike party - But it took me a few hours of work

BTW : It is SAD that we can't customize the portraits/voices in-game- It would be SO much easier. I would be so cool ...

Edited by Cluas
  • Like 2

UFWDJRj.jpg