Chill Fog nerf + Bad Pathing/AI = ouch

I have the clear impression the best part is to just spam druid/ciphers and fighters.

Paladins suck, wizards used to suck and got nerfed, and rogues have some nice capabilities but the stealth system make them also suck (ie: the fact that if anyone attack, your rogue is not invisible anymore, of course this also means that having more than one rogue is absolutely pointless, since after one attack the other become visible)

• Like 1

To be fair, I still haven't played with a Cipher or Druid...

...but my mage is definitely pulling his weight. He's no worse than any other member of the team. Aoe prone? Aoe blindness? Aoe confusion? Wizards have god-tier cc.

The issue is Wizard starting was already slower than any other class, but now it got downgraded even more.  

Chill Fog was perfect.  Now my tanks with their crappy pathing, if they step 1 foot forward they hit my 4-5x stacked Chill Fog and get destroyed.

Not only that, but once the fight is over I actually have to wait for it to dissipate before going forward.  This is incredibly annoying. The nerf was a bad design decision

Rogues do not need to be stealthed to backstab. The target must have some negative condition (there's a list somewhere in the load screen hints). A good way to cause such conditions is, by the way, a wizard.

• Like 2

Therefore I have sailed the seas and come

To the holy city of Byzantium. -W.B. Yeats

Χριστός ἀνέστη!

Rogues do not need to be stealthed to backstab. The target must have some negative condition (there's a list somewhere in the load screen hints). A good way to cause such conditions is, by the way, a wizard.

"Backstab" should be "Sneak Attack" but other than that small detail... This. Rogue and Wizard team up very nicely, especially with Blind now changed into Foe AoE.

So much of these convos are comparing classes/abilities to others without addressing collaboration potential at all.

• Like 1

I'm doing a new play-through after this new patch, and me and Aloth low level just really blows compared to vanilla build. (blows more)

It's SO much slower :(  Go go race to Dryford Village even faster this play-through to get Grieving Mother, my real Player_Name.

Edited by Parsong

I have the clear impression the best part is to just spam druid/ciphers and fighters.

and chanters

"There once was a loon that twitter

Before he went down the ****ter

In its demise he wasn't missed

Because there were bugs to be fixed."

~ Kaine

Worst wizard class maybe in any game I've ever played.

While this is true, he gets really great later on.

The issue is, a very bad start just got even worse with this patch.   

There is a mod over up at Nexus to revert Chill Fog, but I need to wait for the GoG Hotfix.

IMO there should be at least a few spells that are 100% party-friendly. Like the old Chill fog.

"There once was a loon that twitter

Before he went down the ****ter

In its demise he wasn't missed

Because there were bugs to be fixed."

~ Kaine

Well I send in my tanks, and throw a chill fog, firewall and fireballs at them.

The tanks live, everything else dies.

What gear/build please. My tanks have like 100+ deflect and still get wrecked by my AOE, maybe I'm too powerful accuracy?.  

I am mostly talking about lower levels tbh (6 and under).

Edited by Parsong

Mine are level 6-7 and on Potd? They take no damage.

Heres at level 4, tanking in chill fogs in the second level (post patch new group because lockpick bug broke my game):

Edited by Mungri

Looks like i have to put cold DR on the chests.  

Thing is I'm used to stacking quite a few Fogs for rapid damage.  My special frost mage spec, which was kinda gutted. 

I liked being more involved rather than shooting low damage Cipher/Druid variants.

Edited by Parsong

Have you ever played Pen and Paper AD&D? :) I mean seriously, one first level per day while your fighter friend has 3/2 1-8 +5 attacks with his longsword? Holding back that one sleep spell for the ogre boss but after the orc lair is cleared finding out that actually there was no ogre and the villagers were reporting a large orc that your fighter just killed in 2 rounds? *That* sucks! :)

• Like 3

I find Aloth to be more and more useful the more I play the game, using wizards to debuff stronger enemies and then nuke them have made a lot of fights easier and faster. And I know there's a lot of spells I underutilize at the moment, so it might just be that the learning curve for wizards is a bit higher than other classes.

As for low level ones being useless, having a lvl 2 wizard in BG who died on 2 shots and could cast 3 magic missiles each rest and nothing else, while being mosty useless with his low thac0 and a sling... Aloth was at least more useful at lower levels, and just like BG wizards, he gets significantly better the higher level he his.

• Like 1

Another case of people whining because their favourite crutch spell doesn't win the game for them on its own anymore.... :getlost:

Go find new ways to play. Every class in the game could do with some minor tweaking, but there's nothing especially wrong with the wizard.

• Like 3

Wizards can still just throw Spectacle on a group and solo the entire group because they're now killing each other.

It works on bosses. Wizurd gurbuge.

Also the sleep spell that works on only enemies? It's garbage. Even though it works on bosses. Garbage. Who would use a wizard. 

• Like 2

I feel like people are underestimating the power of debuffs.

Yeah wizards can throw out fireballs and stuff, but those aren't their best spells. Their best spells are their blinds, knockdowns, confusions, etc.

Lower an enemy's deflection by 20-30 and all of a sudden your entire party is critting them. That's some pretty significant damage.

• Like 1

Another case of people whining because their favourite crutch spell doesn't win the game for them on its own anymore....  :getlost:

Go find new ways to play. Every class in the game could do with some minor tweaking, but there's nothing especially wrong with the wizard.

Wizards can still just throw Spectacle on a group and solo the entire group because they're now killing each other.

It works on bosses. Wizurd gurbuge.

Also the sleep spell that works on only enemies? It's garbage. Even though it works on bosses. Garbage. Who would use a wizard. 

Original Chill Fog a crutch spell? Meh, Druid and Cipher have better.  That nerf wasn't really called for IMO.  All the nerf does is slow down the group after an encounter.

I think the OP was mostly talking about low level stuff though, he mentions he had to restart after new patch.  Wizard does have a relatively slow start.  Chill Fog did help with that.  Slicken was super OP though, I agree with that nerf.

Edited by Dongom

I still think people do not know how to use wizards in Pillars..... Seriously, the classes are pretty balanced (They will never be completely balanced. Just doesn't work that way). Wizards usually ALWAYS start out slow in fantasy RPGs.... This is no different.