Sure. So, with the Kickstarter we announced that we were going to do an expansion, and so how we're approaching that is to actually do the expansion in two parts, and have one part out sooner than the other part.

The idea being that people are really enjoying Pillars right now and they're going to get finished their first or second playthrough within in the next two weeks, a month, something like that. And so, we definitely want there to be content for them to enjoy and I think we're going to be talking about that pretty soon. I don't think we've released anything specifically, but it really ends up being this concept of this story that expands parts of what you would see in those sort of old school expansions we made for Icewind Dale and Baldur's Gate. So not just these three, four hour downloadable DLCs, but definitely big chunks of a story and a new hub to go to and things like that.

So that's kind of how we're really approaching it, like we've done with Eternity throughout is this idea of, these games kind of went away but not for a reason they should have. The industry shifted to so much console with this idea that PC wasn't so much of a gaming platform, which I know no one thinks that anymore. So, back then when you got an expansion you got this meaty thing with hours and hours of gameplay. And that's really what we're trying to do. So, while we're splitting it in two, it is like one continual story that people get to play.

FANTASTIC news!

• Like 2

It's possible. On several occasions Obsidian has said that they want the expansion to be about the same size as TotSC... which was really, really small. And if that's the scale they want, they could very well have it done within a week or two.

It's possible. On several occasions Obsidian has said that they want the expansion to be about the same size as TotSC... which was really, really small. And if that's the scale they want, they could very well have it done within a week or two.

Really small, compared to what?

Sure. So, with the Kickstarter we announced that we were going to do an expansion, and so how we're approaching that is to actually do the expansion in two parts, and have one part out sooner than the other part.

The idea being that people are really enjoying Pillars right now and they're going to get finished their first or second playthrough within in the next two weeks, a month, something like that. And so, we definitely want there to be content for them to enjoy and I think we're going to be talking about that pretty soon. I don't think we've released anything specifically, but it really ends up being this concept of this story that expands parts of what you would see in those sort of old school expansions we made for Icewind Dale and Baldur's Gate. So not just these three, four hour downloadable DLCs, but definitely big chunks of a story and a new hub to go to and things like that.

So that's kind of how we're really approaching it, like we've done with Eternity throughout is this idea of, these games kind of went away but not for a reason they should have. The industry shifted to so much console with this idea that PC wasn't so much of a gaming platform, which I know no one thinks that anymore. So, back then when you got an expansion you got this meaty thing with hours and hours of gameplay. And that's really what we're trying to do. So, while we're splitting it in two, it is like one continual story that people get to play.

FANTASTIC news!

Source?

• Like 1

t50aJUd.jpg

So, question: If they're splitting up the expansion into two parts, how does that effect the people who got the expansion as part of their kickstarter backing? Will we still get both parts, or just the first part, or what?

So, question: If they're splitting up the expansion into two parts, how does that effect the people who got the expansion as part of their kickstarter backing? Will we still get both parts, or just the first part, or what?

You'll definitely get both parts.

You'll definitely get both parts.

I.. uh.. I don't want to be "that guy" that does nothing but question people and their motives and such, but.. uh..

Source?

:lol:

t50aJUd.jpg

That sounds like a contradiction. TotSC (from my memory) wasn't that small! What they describe definitely does sound like DLC and there doesn't seem to be enough time to make anything substantial if they're going to release it relatively soon.

Kinda disappointing. I was hoping perhaps they'd do something with the fortress, which sadly, just as Skyhold in DAI, was left basically unused. No siege, nothing.

I really wouldn't mind waiting for a proper expansion. :/

======================================
http://janpospisil.daportfolio.com/ - my portfolio
http://janpospisil.blogspot.cz/ - my blog

On my products page I see listed Pillars of Eternity - Expansion Pack 1 and when expanded it says:

*** Not yet available ***

Now that Pillars of Eternity has shipped, we're hard at work on the first expansion. Stay tuned for an upcoming backer update on release date details!

The first expansion pack for Pillars of Eternity.

Developed by: Obsidian Entertainment

Hopefully, Elithranduil is right and we'll still get both parts.