Willing to pay for a voice pack DLC.

I like this game a lot, but I wouldn't mind having even more voice acting and would be willing to purchase a voice pack DLC if you could provide one. Some people just like to read, but I like to listen to the voice acting, followed by reading afterwards.

Please consider a voice pack DLC that adds even more voice acting, thank you!

• Like 8

Having trouble with the games combat on POTD, Trial of Iron?

- Hurtin bomb droppin MONK - [MONK BUILD] - [CLICK HERE]

- Think Rangers suck? You're wrong - [RANGER BUILD] + Tactics/Strategies - [CLICK HERE]

- Fighter Heavy Tank - [FIGHTER BUILD] + Tactics/Strategies - [CLICK HERE]

Despite what I may post, I'm a huge fan of Pillars of Eternity, it's one of my favorite RPG's.

Anita Sarkeesian keeps Bioware's balls in a jar on her shelf.

I would appreciate this too.  With my long commute to work I've really gotten into audiobooks.  Currently I'm working through Way of Kings, and Michael Kramer's reading gives  me a kind of vibe like playing/reading in this game.  So, now I kinda have his narration in my head when reading anything on screen that doesn't have audio to it.

Yeah I'm a voice-acting fan and would enjoy a pack like this, though I very highly doubt it would ever even be considered. If it wasn't so costly, I'd love for big CRPGs like Pillars to be 100% voice-acted.

• Like 1

Guest BugsVendor

I like this game a lot, but I wouldn't mind having even more voice acting and would be willing to purchase a voice pack DLC if you could provide one. Some people just like to read, but I like to listen to the voice acting, followed by reading afterwards.

Please consider a voice pack DLC that adds even more voice acting, thank you!

Don't even give them ideas please.

They can include more voices in the expansion or next game.

Step in the wrong direction.

Would pay for more voice acting. Originally when BG EE got announced I was hoping for something like that but they did not fail to disappoint. Hopefully since this is a new game, and the voice actors hopefully are still in reach this could be attempted.

Keep in mind, I'm not asking for voice acting as if it's a bad thing. The existing voice acting in the game was great and now I find myself wanting MORE!

• Like 1

- Think Rangers suck? You're wrong - [RANGER BUILD] + Tactics/Strategies - [CLICK HERE]

Despite what I may post, I'm a huge fan of Pillars of Eternity, it's one of my favorite RPG's.

Voiceovers are one of the most expensive features. I don't want more, in fact, I'd be perfectly fine with less VO if it meant this money went into expanding other gameplay elements - like a stronghold that isn't insanely boring, although I'm not a great fan of strongholds either, so maybe this isn't the best example.

Edited by Rosveen
  • Like 6

Voiceovers are one of the most expensive features. I don't want more, in fact, I'd be perfectly fine with less VO if it meant this money went into expanding other gameplay elements - like a stronghold that isn't insanely boring, although I'm not a great fan of strongholds either, so maybe this isn't the best example.

I can understand that, I'm currently trying to get in touch with Justin Bell, if he can help me figure out how to add new voice files, then they won't need to ever add a voice pack. The community can do it on their own.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Voice acting can add up, that's for sure.  The thing to also consider is that you'd have to include the designer/audio designer/QA/programmer time as well as the voice acting costs.  That's what really gets you.  If enough folks are vocal (heh... see that?) about more VO, we might be able to consider it for future projects!  

Adding more into PoE now would be risky I think.  It's amazing what will add bugs to the game!  Something as simple as adding new VO could create a ton of new bugs :(  It would be awesome though.

• Like 3

The only minor gripe I have right now is that some parts of the dialog are voiced, and some aren't. It does break immersion. I can live with it, and at the same time I welcome any further enhancements to giving audio life to a script over another 15 floors of dungeon crawling. 

Unless you add beholders. 

Throw in displacer beasts while we're at it. 

And chimeras. 

To be honest, i ´d much rather see that money go into more intricate quests, dialogue and more reactivity overall than in voice acting. This are things that, in my opinion, have the potential to set a game like PoE apart from AAA Blockbusters like Dragon Age, but - perhaps not coincidentally - would at some point most certainly get prohibitively expensive if one would insist to voice every last syllable of dialogue.

Because of that I have to agree with BugsVendor: it would be a huge step in the wrong direction.

Edited by Cookie
  • Like 11

For the record, I would also pay for a voice pack.

But if they went ahead and did this -- made a purchasable DLC of voiceovers -- it would be absolutely ridiculed as a cashin. People would expect it to be free (as a feature that should have come with the original purchase) and bitterly criticize it for costing extra.

I doubt it will happen for free, and thus, I doubt it will happen at all.

Edited by Hebruixe

Voice acting can add up, that's for sure.  The thing to also consider is that you'd have to include the designer/audio designer/QA/programmer time as well as the voice acting costs.  That's what really gets you.  If enough folks are vocal (heh... see that?) about more VO, we might be able to consider it for future projects!  

Adding more into PoE now would be risky I think.  It's amazing what will add bugs to the game!  Something as simple as adding new VO could create a ton of new bugs :(  It would be awesome though.

Please don't. The costs are not worth the returns, by a long shot. Don't even think about it.

• Like 7

t50aJUd.jpg

I actually feel like there is a bit too much VO as it is already.  I would not like them to do more of it in future games, both because I prefer to read (or skim read) as I like and put more of it in my head and because VO requires 'locking down' the dialogue early, preventing them from just adding or changing dialogue as they go along like in the olden days (Monkey Island dialogue was pretty much made up by the programmers as they made the game, a lot of the dialogue was originally even just filler text they decided was actually pretty good).

• Like 8

"That rabbit's dynamite!" - King Arthur, Monty Python and the Quest for the Holy Grail

"Space is big, really big." - Douglas Adams

They promised no DLC but they backpedaled on so many promises that it wouldn't surprise me if they would on this one to. So go for it :-)

This is one promise, that if ever broken, would take the respect I have for Obsidian left, launch it into space on a rocket filled with manure and then nuke it. I'd never buy an Obsidian product again.

Also, I don't want more voice acting in the game. If anything, it's already got too much of it methinks. The only exception to this, would be more voice options for the main character would be nice. That's something I'd like to see in the expansion.

I wouldn't mind a full voice acting (Vampire the Masquerade: Redemption or Legacy of Kain series gained a lot from it), but it HAS to be GOOD and requires superb dialogues to begin with. For a game like Pillars of Eternity? Too much people to voice them all, so I am willing to settle for partial VO.

Don't even give them ideas please.

They can include more voices in the expansion or next game.

Step in the wrong direction.

Not really. As long as DLCs add cosmetic content or add something that wasn't possible for the main game and is fully optional to the main experience there is nothing wrong with asking for a DLC.

I'm also against more VO. In fact there is already too much VO in dialogues (it's somewhat breaking imerssion). But I would apreciate more interactions between characters.

• Like 2

"Go where the others have gone, to the tenebrous limit

for the golden fleece of void, your ultimate prize

go upright among those who are on their knees

among those turning their backs on and those fallen to dust"

Zbigniew Herbert, Message of Mr. Cogito

What is this travesty, Justin!? Don't encourage decline in my incline!

codex_mob.png

• Like 4

To be honest, i ´d much rather see that money go into more intricate quests, dialogue and more reactivity overall than in voice acting. This are things that, in my opinion, have the potential to set a game like PoE apart from AAA Blockbusters like Dragon Age, but - perhaps not coincidentally - would at some point most certainly get prohibitively expensive if one would insist to voice every last syllable of dialogue.

Because of that I have to agree with BugsVendor: it would be a huge step in the wrong direction.

This and also consider voice acting will take up time and resources but more than that... Money... When a game will go total voice acted will result with dialog lines reduced by a lot due to face the cost of it... I like voice acting too but i tend to face reality and in modern day is not possible make a game with the numbers of dialogues line like pillars of eternity and avoid to cut dialogue lines....

So in the end yes... will be a huge step in the wrong direction because to have all voiced dialogues roleplay elements will be cut... This mean less dialogues this also lead to... Less Quest...Less events... There are also newer RPG that proof this things... There is a mainquest and a lot of fillers Take and Fetch mmo style quest to avoid the content problem... And most of this problems is for the creator of the game all the dialogues lines must be totally voice acted...

I don't want to see it with this ip... is just plain wrong.. We don't need another Dragon age

Edited by Mebrilia
  • Like 1

Honestly I'd prefer DLC to remove most of the voice acting from the game. I've mostly been finding it annoying as every time I try to read the descriptive text, I get distracted by the voice that's reading out some other part of the conversation.

While the voice actors generally do a decent job, none of them have wowed me like Irenicus or the Arishok. An amazing performance can really add another layer to a game, but I have yet to encounter any performances in Pillars that have. I feel that the V.O. in this game subtracts more than it adds.

I recognized Liam O' Brien within 5 minutes of starting PoE. His distinct voice and accent left a strong impression from Persona 3, and from that day the moment Liam's voice graces my years I'll give any game he voices an extra +2 points. The last time I heard him was in Darksiders I believe. 

Yeah more of him won't hurt.