According to the documentation at http://rien-ici.com/iemod/console, the following command should work without IEMod installed:

RemoveTalent charname ability/talent. Works both for talents and abilities. Works like AddTalent or AddAbility. Preface talents with "tln_".

Has anyone gotten it to work with or without IEMod?

If it helps, it also doesn't work with the IE Mod.  This entire functionality appears to be broken right now.

20. Respec your party members (This console commands requires the IE Mod to be installed.)

This console command allows you to respec yourself or your party members (drops them to level 0 and allows you to relevel them up), or you can do the same thing, but also change their class. Changing the class is optional.

The console command is:

ChangeClass <name> <Class>

As always, you must find the ingame name of your characters using the "FindCharacter name".

So let's say you want to respec Aloth.

Type in "FindCharacter Aloth". You'll get something like Companion_Aloth(Clone)_1 in the console. This is the name you should use.

Now do ChangeClass Companion_Aloth(Clone)_1 Wizard - your companion will fall down to level 0 and you'll be able to level him up differently from how he was.

Or type ChangeClass Companion_Aloth(Clone)_1 Fighter - and he'll turn into a level 0 fighter instead.

Warning: do not attempt to transition/quit/save game while your character is level 0. You need to level him up first. Do not attempt to open your grimoire, etc. Just immediately proceed to leveling up.

It removes all talents and abilities, except racial ones and except Watcher's abilities, but that last part is not entirely true. I haven't progressed deep enough into the story to find all Watcher abilities, so it only makes an exception for Crucible_of_the_Soul and 3 more. I will include others as I discover them, but for now you will lose them if you're going to respec your main character. You can get them back through the AddAbility console command, so it's not a problem. Note that you will also lose your abilities gained through equipment, but you will regain them as soon as you reload your save.

In any case, exercise caution with this console command, consider it experimental.

Update: Sagani will now keep her Itumaak even if you respec her into another class.

If you respec Sagani into any other class, no further actions are necessary, you're all good.

However, if you respec her into Ranger, you will be promoted to pick an animal companion by the game. It's just a formality, so pick any. When you're done, Sagani will still keep her Itumaak. However, another action is required now.

You need to type FixSagani id. It's the same id you used in the ChangeClass command.

So if you did ChangeClass Companion_Sagani(Clone)_2 Ranger, now you have to do FixSagani Companion_Sagani(Clone)_2

Hivarias will lose his special shapeshift if you respec him, I've been told, but I'll fix it when I encounter him in game.

This worked perfectly for me. Respecced both my Chanters and a Priest using this.

20. Respec your party members (This console commands requires the IE Mod to be installed.)

This console command allows you to respec yourself or your party members (drops them to level 0 and allows you to relevel them up), or you can do the same thing, but also change their class. Changing the class is optional.

The console command is:

As always, you must find the ingame name of your characters using the "FindCharacter name".

Type in "FindCharacter Aloth". You'll get something like Companion_Aloth(Clone)_1 in the console. This is the name you should use.

Now do ChangeClass Companion_Aloth(Clone)_1 Wizard - your companion will fall down to level 0 and you'll be able to level him up differently from how he was.

Or type ChangeClass Companion_Aloth(Clone)_1 Fighter - and he'll turn into a level 0 fighter instead.

Warning: do not attempt to transition/quit/save game while your character is level 0. You need to level him up first. Do not attempt to open your grimoire, etc. Just immediately proceed to leveling up.

It removes all talents and abilities, except racial ones and except Watcher's abilities, but that last part is not entirely true. I haven't progressed deep enough into the story to find all Watcher abilities, so it only makes an exception for Crucible_of_the_Soul and 3 more. I will include others as I discover them, but for now you will lose them if you're going to respec your main character. You can get them back through the AddAbility console command, so it's not a problem. Note that you will also lose your abilities gained through equipment, but you will regain them as soon as you reload your save.

In any case, exercise caution with this console command, consider it experimental.

Update: Sagani will now keep her Itumaak even if you respec her into another class.

If you respec Sagani into any other class, no further actions are necessary, you're all good.

However, if you respec her into Ranger, you will be promoted to pick an animal companion by the game. It's just a formality, so pick any. When you're done, Sagani will still keep her Itumaak. However, another action is required now.

You need to type FixSagani id. It's the same id you used in the ChangeClass command.

So if you did ChangeClass Companion_Sagani(Clone)_2 Ranger, now you have to do FixSagani Companion_Sagani(Clone)_2

Hivarias will lose his special shapeshift if you respec him, I've been told, but I'll fix it when I encounter him in game.

This worked perfectly for me. Respecced both my Chanters and a Priest using this.

The doc above states that it doesn't remove racial abilities.  I'm hoping that "RemoveTalent" handles racial abilities, too, if/when it gets fixed.  "AddAbility" works for racial abilities, so we should expect "RemoveTalent" to behave the same way.

In a nutshell, I'm trying to respec companions fully, including their subpar race choices.  I can add good racial abilities with "AddAbility," but need to remove existing ones to keep things balanced.  Are companions that are every bit as optimized as hirelings really too much to ask for?

Are companions that are every bit as optimized as hirelings really too much to ask for?

Yes. The companion stats were awful, but have been rebalanced. Not sure how good they are now, but they're not supposed to be perfect min-max characters. They're supposed to be people, who have their own flaws as well as strengths. This is an RPG after all.

If you want min/maxed OP characters, then make a custom adventurer.

More on topic, sorry I didn't realise you wanted to remove racial abilities, but I don't think it's possible to recreate them entirely from scratch...

Edited by Akimbo
  • Like 1

No need for the IE mod, you need to pay attention to the syntax as well.

Some of those talents also end with "_talent"

eg. removetalent <character> tln_bloody_slaughter_talent

It doesn't appear to be a matter of syntax.  For example, the following is not working:

removetalent player tln_bloody_slaughter_talent

Does this actually work for you?

It doesn't appear to be a matter of syntax.  For example, the following is not working:

Yes I sadly had to remove some trash talent and switched it for Bloody Slaughter.

Just make sure to find your actual in-game name

# example main char Vorad

> FindCharacter Vorad

# should show Player_Game(Clone)_0 for your main char and something similar for npc

> RemoveTalent Player_Game(Clone)_0 tln_Arcane_Veil

> AddTalent Player_Game(Clone)_0 tln_Bloody_Slaughter_talent

Try to capitalize the words as above, it worked in my case. The way I see it is that class talents do not require the "_talent" in the end while general-type talents they do require it.

• Like 1

Yes I sadly had to remove some trash talent and switched it for Bloody Slaughter.

Just make sure to find your actual in-game name

# example main char Vorad

> FindCharacter Vorad

# should show Player_Game(Clone)_0 for your main char and something similar for npc

> RemoveTalent Player_Game(Clone)_0 tln_Arcane_Veil

> AddTalent Player_Game(Clone)_0 tln_Bloody_Slaughter_talent

Try to capitalize the words as above, it worked in my case. The way I see it is that class talents do not require the "_talent" in the end while general-type talents they do require it.

FindCharacter command was the missing piece - thank you for this fantastic tip!  I verified that these commands even work with racial abilities, allowing us to effectively change race.

In combination with IEMod and these commands, we can effectively respec companions to match hirelings in every way.  There is no reason to have to make an unpleasant choice between running an optimized party and companion banter/interactions. :)

• 1 month later...

The console command is:

The doc above states that it doesn't remove racial abilities.  I'm hoping that "RemoveTalent" handles racial abilities, too, if/when it gets fixed.  "AddAbility" works for racial abilities, so we should expect "RemoveTalent" to behave the same way.

In a nutshell, I'm trying to respec companions fully, including their subpar race choices.  I can add good racial abilities with "AddAbility," but need to remove existing ones to keep things balanced.  Are companions that are every bit as optimized as hirelings really too much to ask for?

Im sorry but this did not work... I tried it more than 30 times with different characters but he kept saying stuff like "No Command or script" ChangeClass accepting 2 Parameters exist! Can anyone tell me what the problem is?

peeace

• 3 months later...

Was there an overhaul of console commands since May?  I just tested addtalent, removetalent, and attributescore; all of them fail.  I've used these commands many times in the past and kept logs, so I know the syntax is fine.  Examples:

addtalent Player_New_Game(Clone)_2 tln_secrets_of_rime_talent

removetalent Player_New_Game(Clone)_2 tln_secrets_of_rime_talent

AttributeScore Player_New_Game(Clone)_2 might 2

Was there an overhaul of console commands since May?  I just tested addtalent, removetalent, and attributescore; all of them fail.  I've used these commands many times in the past and kept logs, so I know the syntax is fine.

Are you playing in 2.0? They changed a lot, though IDK specifically about console commands. That said, there's a legit respec option now. Especially considering the risk of messing things up with these console commands in general (which I experienced every time I tried to use them pre-2.0), I'd certainly recommend sticking to the legit respec option that's been added.

Was there an overhaul of console commands since May?  I just tested addtalent, removetalent, and attributescore; all of them fail.  I've used these commands many times in the past and kept logs, so I know the syntax is fine.

Are you playing in 2.0? They changed a lot, though IDK specifically about console commands. That said, there's a legit respec option now. Especially considering the risk of messing things up with these console commands in general (which I experienced every time I tried to use them pre-2.0), I'd certainly recommend sticking to the legit respec option that's been added.

I'm on patch 2.0 with The White March.  I suspect that some of the commands above might be from IEMod, rather than PoE itself, though I tried a few others that, according to documentation I found, are from PoE.  IEMod doesn't support 2.0 yet.

Unfortunately, the in-game respec feature does not support changing attributes for companions, though I have time-consuming workarounds available via temporarily reverting the game to an older patch.

Unfortunately, the in-game respec feature does not support changing attributes for companions, though I have time-consuming workarounds available via temporarily reverting the game to an older patch.

TBH that sounds really time-consuming and risky, but to each his own. The game was beatable by most players (myself included, and I consider my skill to be about average) even on a PoTD completionist run with all companions pre-2.0. IDK how the expansion difficulty compares, honestly, because I haven't had time to play it yet.

Edit: Also, I have a strong feeling the inability to respec a companion's stats was intentional and not an oversight. Their spreads are done mostly with RP considerations in mind, and I believe it was intended to be a tradeoff between RP value and the ability to customize and min-max a hired adventurer.

Edited by Nobear

TBH that sounds really time-consuming and risky, but to each his own. The game was beatable by most players (myself included, and I consider my skill to be about average) even on a PoTD completionist run with all companions pre-2.0. IDK how the expansion difficulty compares, honestly, because I haven't had time to play it yet.

Edit: Also, I have a strong feeling the inability to respec a companion's stats was intentional and not an oversight. Their spreads are done mostly with RP considerations in mind, and I believe it was intended to be a tradeoff between RP value and the ability to customize and min-max a hired adventurer.

Despite the low difficulty of the game on PoTD, many power gamers such as myself enjoy taking the time to optimize the party and anything less feels unsatisfying.  At the same time, I also enjoy the additional RP depth that companions bring.  By editing companions' stats to be in line with that of hired adventurers, I can satisfy my need for optimization without sacrificing story/party interaction.  I don't consider this cheating, since I don't let companions' stats exceed what I would get from hirelings.

Despite the low difficulty of the game on PoTD, many power gamers such as myself enjoy taking the time to optimize the party and anything less feels unsatisfying.  At the same time, I also enjoy the additional RP depth that companions bring.  By editing companions' stats to be in line with that of hired adventurers, I can satisfy my need for optimization without sacrificing story/party interaction.  I don't consider this cheating, since I don't let companions' stats exceed what I would get from hirelings.

Ok fair enough. As I said, to each his own, but I can see the appeal in what you have expressed. To be fair, I would probably feel the way you do about optimizing party members, if the game let me to it without console commands. The way I think about it to ease that urge is that I have optimized as much as the game legitimately lets me.

Of course, if you don't mind using console commands, that's personal preference and certainly a valid sentiment. The console commands have, however, been unreliable in my experience since long before 2.0, and my temptation to use them got the better of me at one point until I discovered this.

If you feel strongly about this issue, you may want to start a thread in the technical support forum. That's the only forum that devs regularly check to answer these sorts of technical questions, suggestions, or bug reports.

I believe that I experienced data corruption following the installation of the expansion.  After saving/reloading/restarting multiple times, these commands are finally working:

addability Companion_GGP(Clone)_3 tln_scion_of_flame_talent

removetalent Companion_GGP(Clone)_3 tln_scion_of_flame_talent

Edited by hugin7