Cant set more than 1 trap (fix plz)

I couldn't. Maybe in the patch. If this is true (1 per character per encounter) props to Obsidian

"There once was a loon that twitter

Before he went down the ****ter

In its demise he wasn't missed

Because there were bugs to be fixed."

~ Kaine

Trap efficiency should go up, or trap set limit should go up, they are worthless at the moment

Not worthless maybe, but overall have a low impact in most fights because you can use only 1.

You can use six.

I cannot confirm this, still lets me set only one trap per encounter.

~ Kaine

Trap efficiency should go up, or trap set limit should go up, they are worthless at the moment

Not worthless maybe, but overall have a low impact in most fights because you can use only 1.

You can use six.

It's one per party member. 

Traps are very powerful as is. Spamming anymore would just make the game (which is already easy on POTD) even more trivial while placing a bigger emphasis on mechanics, which is already by far and away the most useful skill in the game. 

Ok so I just found out when trying to do the lighthouse again that you can only cast 1 priest seal at a time too now.

****. How do I beat all those shades now???

Use a AoE CC like "Call to Slumber" on Mage class, it works great on the shades,

You wont have level 5 spells at that point.

You can use six.

It's one per party member.

Doesn't matter which party member I use to set a trap, the previous one always disappears. I didn't patch up my game so maybe that's it.

Traps are very powerful as is.

I sincerely doubt this. At least the majority of them isn't. Furthermore, the traps that trigger on the player are devastating. My own traps don't have nearly such an impact. These are clearly not the same traps.

Edited by Luj1

~ Kaine

Each person from your party can set one trap,...

Wow that screenshot. I want that too. Is your game patched? I found your statement to be only partially true for me. In addition to being set by a different companion, each trap must be of a different type. For example I cannot set two Noxious Cloud traps, even if I use different party members.

... Also you can cast glyph on top of traps...

Hmm. When I do that, the traps below disappear. Now that's weird.

Edited by Luj1

~ Kaine

Doesn't matter which party member I use to set a trap, the previous one always disappears. I didn't patch up my game so maybe that's it.

Traps are very powerful as is.

I sincerely doubt this. At least the majority of them isn't. Furthermore, the traps that trigger on the player are devastating. My own traps don't have nearly such an impact. These are clearly not the same traps.

You're doing it wrong If you think freezing pillar/sunlance/petrify/noxious/chain lighting etc aren't powerful I don't what to tell you. Maybe pay more attention to what DR the enemies have when placing certain trap types. 

Another fun thing, Fighter's Into the Fray ability can pull enemies into traps which is entertaining. 

I can understand putting the limits on glyphs seeing how those are spells. Traps in BG2 were also skills. But here we're talking about items.

It makes no sense to limit the player's capability/desire to hoard items for the goal of using them all at once during a specific encounter.

Edited by Luj1

~ Kaine

Wow that screenshot. I want that too. Is your game patched? I found your statement to be only partially true for me. In addition to being set by a different companion, each trap must be of a different type. For example I cannot set two Noxious Cloud traps, even if I use different party members.

I have newest version, 1.0.3.0530, but it always worked for me (I can't be sure about earlier patches, because I may have not tried it then, but it never not worked for me). Also I didn't have any issues with setting multiple of one trap type, as seen in this screenshot:

http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=421659382

... Also you can cast glyph on top of traps...

Hmm. When I do that, the traps below disappear. Now that's weird.

Weird indeed, I can cast them on top without problem.

I think I remember having a problem with setting few noxious traps next to each other too, but I came to conclusion that when setting traps with (same?) AoE, their effects can't overlap either. But I just checked a moment ago and I can put few noxious traps next to each other without issues. All my characters have mechanics in between 1 and 6 so I doubt the problem lies there.

Only thing I can say is to make sure each trap is set by different character, like in screenshot log, and try to put them far away from each other to see if it's working at all.

But it's fun when it works, only problem is finding enemies worthy of the setup. original.gif

Another fun thing, Fighter's Into the Fray ability can pull enemies into traps which is entertaining.

I must try it sometime. :)

Edited by Ilxuss
  • Like 1

Traps are fine as they are. Raising the limit would make crucial combats very trivial. 

What I don't understand is why they didn't limit seals to 1 as well. I myself refused to ever plant more than 1 before doing hard pulls, but that's just because I felt like not cheesing the encounters to not destroy the fun for myself, there is nothing else preventing you from, let's say, getting 2 priests to put down 15 seals each and blow up the Adra Dragon almost instantly.

• Like 1

Allowing setting 50 traps to make an encounter trivial would be absurd design. Anyone with half a brain should be able to see this.

Wait just a second there. If youre gonna hoard traps for the entire game and blow the final boss with 30 traps that's, 1) your choice, 2) it doesn't come without a price (as you'd be restraining from using traps the whole game). PS Anyone with half a brain should know that

Edited by Luj1

~ Kaine

I have half a brain.  How else am I going to get Celestial Fury right out of Irenicus's dungeon?

Trap early, trap often.

The trap limit is an unfortunate artifice.  If they wanted to limit traps, they should've had trap disarming only result in partial salvage of trap components (requiring traps to be built from the necessary components before they could be utilized).

Also, add a full encumbrance system (weight and bulk), make trap components not necessarily something one could stockpile in excessive quantities because of either quality, and lose the stash (replace with a pack mule system or something reasonably "immersive").

And get rid of wizards, they're too much.

--/\/

I have half a brain.  How else am I going to get Celestial Fury right out of Irenicus's dungeon?

Trap early, trap often.

The trap limit is an unfortunate artifice.  If they wanted to limit traps, they should've had trap disarming only result in partial salvage of trap components (requiring traps to be built from the necessary components before they could be utilized).

Also, add a full encumbrance system (weight and bulk), make trap components not necessarily something one could stockpile in excessive quantities because of either quality, and lose the stash (replace with a pack mule system or something reasonably "immersive").

And get rid of wizards, they're too much.

So you want to add a completely unfun feature like encumbrance yet limiting traps is not ok. Haha.

Traps are useful free damage as is and if you want to spam 6 of them (which will completely win 95% of the encounters in game) take mechanics all on your party members.

If you want to spam 30 traps then mod. 

Allowing setting 50 traps to make an encounter trivial would be absurd design. Anyone with half a brain should be able to see this.

Wait just a second there. If youre gonna hoard traps for the entire game and blow the final boss with 30 traps that's, 1) your choice, 2) it doesn't come without a price (as you'd be restraining from using traps the whole game). PS Anyone with half a brain should know that

Hoard what? There's a vendor in the keep that sells Fireball traps for like 500 gold each. I don't know you, but I ended the game with over 200k gold excess. And that's spending **** tons of gold on potions waiting for that grand difficult fight that never came, bought about every unique merchant item and didn't sell any items that I found and was named different than "Fine something" just for collection's sake, seeing I didn't need gold at all.

It was all in PotD difficulty, too. I can't imagine how ridiculous it must be in lower difficulty settings. You could probably beat the entire game just with trap stacking exploits, if it was allowed.

Edited by Emerwyn

Wait just a second there. If youre gonna hoard traps for the entire game...

Implying you need all the traps in the game to make an encounter trivially easy, which is simply not true, especially when we have merchants with em and gold coming out of our ass.

...and blow the final boss with 30 traps that's, 1) your choice,

Yes, and it would be terribad design to give the players that choise because it's absurdly overpowered compared to other "choises". You could say the exact same thing about anything, like ok, let's give wizards this spell that lets them do 90000 points of damage because it's the player's "choise" whether they wanna use it. Well no, genius, it's not a real goddamn "choise" when everything else is pathetic in comparison. You either do it or you suck if you're given that "choise".

2) it doesn't come without a price (as you'd be restraining from using traps the whole game).

I beat my first playthrough on hard (yes, I know, hard is more like easy, but still) effortlessly without using a single trap, so this is hardly an issue, and like I said, it doesn't take anywhere near "all the traps in the game" to lay down enough for a fight to be made much easier.

PS Anyone with half a brain should know that

Indeed, which you seem to lack.

• Like 1

I do agree that usage of traps should be governed by amount of resources you have(i. e. trap items) and not by arbitrary trap limit

But since economy in this game is in such a sad state(there is abudance of  both gold and traps in vendor stock) putting an arbitrary limit to how many traps you can use at a time seems the only option to avoid traps becoming the one and only effective way of dealing with any opposition. So this limit looks like a hotfix that shouldn't be needed if traps were valueable resource in the first place.

TL;DR : Game has problems that lead to necessity of trap limit