Issues Attacking (All Combat Instances)

Ivaer

Question

Hello! I've been playing the game for a few hours now, and I have finally noticed what appears to be causing so much difficulty in combat for me after the into caravan sequence:

Every battle, every time, everywhere (after the introductory caravan sequence), whenever I click/right-click/attack button + click/rebind and click/etc. to try and manually attack an enemy, it instead tries to move the character(s). It does not attack. Period. Further, characters do not auto-attack unless they are attacked by enemies first (I have tried toggling the auto-attack functionality in the game options, to no avail). The only instance where characters will auto-attack/attack on purpose is when I've used a special ability/spell; after using said ability, they will auto-attack that target, but if I tried to change their target manually after that point it defaults to not attacking, and I can't change it again without using an ability.

• Like 1

11 answers to this question

I experience characters not auto-attacking very frequently. It is frustrating.

Off the top of my head, a prime example of this would be: if I use arcane assault with Aloth, he will not continue to attack the target he just hit with arcane assault...I have to go back to him, re-initiate an attack order for him to continue.

This isn't restricted to range classes either. If a melee member isn't being engaged by any enemies, he will just stand there idle in front of the enemies unless instructed to attack. An example of this is my melee cipher, I fire off a spell, and he will not attack the enemies in front of him who are engaged with the tank. I have to give him an attack order after the spell is finished.

I feel like there should be a way to toggle on an aggressive AI or something to make them FIGHT and not just stand there idle like chumps.

Edited by McPartyson
  • Like 1

A single target spell results in them auto-attacking after using it, I believe (even when it's also got AoE effects around the target), while a primarily AoE one won't, even if you target it with one specific creature at the centre.

Ivaer, are you clicking on the enemy itself, or in the selection circle at their feet to start your people attacking?

Edited by sparklecat

Another example would be Kana.

1. He will be auto-attacking from range during battle.

2. I check Kana to see if his chant spells are ready, so i summon skeletons

3. Skeletons won't attack unless ordered, so I must give them an attack order even though they are right beside the enemy

4. Kana has stopped attacking because I just used the summon skill

5. I must re-select Kana and issue an auto-attack order.

This is a multi-step process to get Kana to fire off a single spell and continue auto-attacking!? During the above process I have to assign various multi-step processes for other party members to insure they keep attacking the f-ing enemy.

Am I missing something here? Isn't this a problem?

Edited by McPartyson

I don't really find it a problem myself, no; I understand why you find it annoying, but right now there's no party member AI for "start attacking someone on your own without first being given a single target" and since I'm set up to auto-pause every time one of my people completes an ability/spell anyway to let me re-evaluate the situation and decide what I want them doing, I'm fine with this.

The one thing that would be nice is if the UI made it more obvious if a character isn't currently set to do anything when combat's going.

I appear to have figured out PART of my problem: that of not being able to attack creatures without using an ability. It seems that, whenever I tried to rebind my attack back to Mouse 0 (which I attempted to rebind to Mouse 1, initially), it would automatically remove the binding after I left the menu. However, if I clicked on Attack first binding field (to rebind the button), then clicked on the SECOND binding button for attack, it would stick. That was weird as all get-out to figure out. Essentially, it wouldn't let me rebind the first attack button if I clicked anywhere but the SECOND attack bind button AFTER clicking the first. Ugh. That all said, no other keybinding FOR attack worked, either. It has worked after I figured out how to actually rebind it to Mouse 0, but as soon as I try to make attack anything other than Mouse 0, it stops working.

However, auto-attacks still don't appear to work unless they are attacked- they won't if I use an ability, which makes it incredibly tedious to manage everyone (though it's easier now that I actually CAN attack again).

I just find it so tedious to use certain skills on party members because I know that they will just stop auto-attacking if I use that skill so I just don't bother with certain skills because if i forget to resume their auto-attack, it's probably not worth it.

Is it possible that the "disable auto-attack" in the options menu is secretly bugged and enabled on even though it's not checked off in the options?

Edited by McPartyson

Well, it appears my auto-attack issue has resolved itself. Not sure what happened, or what the cause was, but now everything seems to work fine. Maybe it was just some underlying symptom of my initial "unable to attack at all" issue and it just eventually smoothed itself out. No clue, personally, but the inability to rebind attack to Mouse 0 (and the subsequent inability to attack at all outside of abilities until rebinding using the previously mentioned ridiculous fix) seems like a pretty serious issue. Not sure how I haven't seen the like yet on the forums, given what I'd think would be the commonplace desire to rebind attack (only) to right-click, and move to left-click, like a lot of other isometric RPGs.

MUCH happier with the game now.

Oi mates!

I got an issue related to attacking, too: My group can't attack enemys and enemys can't attack me group.

post-159421-0-31966300-1449251900_thumb.jpg

Like u're able to see in this picture, the "attention-meter" is decreasing while my dudes stand peacefully side by side to the enemy... OK I understand they saw enough blood - make peace not war etc. - but... they're zombies and... in what movie or game the're peaceful zombies?!

Plus I got this problem outside this dungeon too.

And maybe it's a corrupted save-file, because I created a new game for investigation and there i was able to and get attacked.

But i have no old save files of my main character... what should I do?

Greetings

Hello W4R,

Welcome to the forums and thanks for joining us! Have you tried verifying your game cache to see if that resolves your issue? In your steam library, right click Pillars of Eternity  > Properties > Local Files > Verify Integrity of Game Cache. 

If that doesn't fix it, could you please upload a save file and an output log via dropbox or any other cloud storage site?

Thanks a bunch.

I verified mygamecache but it didn't help.

Here I uploaded two saves and the output log:

https://www.dropbox.com/sh/2r5in6cr6oj2ygv/AABA0nYzxwhZAVyorxYnuBfQa?dl=0

With this save it is possible to attack enemies, but after saving and loading that and any other new (auto) save I can't anymore.

9155b50cbe1c4bcbbf37856ec2545664 12080691 EndlessPathsofOdNuaLevel8.savegame

This is one currupted save.

9155b50cbe1c4bcbbf37856ec2545664 12142263 EndlessPathsofOdNuaLevel8.savegame

Thanks dude.