Because it's their reputation, any bug that occurs in one of their games is blown up under a microscope because people are looking for them.

I stopped buying NCAA Football games (outside of '10 so I could have one for the 360) because they introduced crowd noise in '05, and when it would get "too loud" the game would crash. I couldn't get past Nebraska.

360 fully patched GOTY FO3 had a game-crashing bug in it for me that was worse than anything I experienced in NV unpatched vanilla. I had to go back multiple saves multiple times to get through Zeta, a DLC I hated more than just about anything else on there. I haven't touched it again since, even when I picked it up for PC when I finally replaced my old one that died just before FO3 first came out. Meanwhile by reputation, NV is a lot worse than that.

I don't remember any real problems with DS3, but I was late to the game with that one.

I only experienced 1 minor camera glitch in South Park that worked itself out after that turn, but because of their reputation I remember it. I've had many camera glitches in many other games but I can't remember which ones right now because of reputation.

Yet I don't remember what problems I had when I first experienced KOTOR2 for the first time (outside of wandering why I couldn't finish HK-47's story) because Obsidian was new to me and they didn't have a reputation. (I didn't realize they were Black Isle til a bit later.)

But then NWN2 had some of the same bugs experienced by others in KOTOR2, then AP, then NV. It almost doesn't matter how solid their games are from here on out. Any bug would be put under a microscope moreso than with most other companies that can make major titles, many times with people giving it a "wait til they patch it first" warning.

• Like 1

You see, ever since the whole Doritos Locos Tacos thing, Taco Bell thinks they can do whatever they want.

It was a big task for Obsidian to develop PoE on three different platforms, two of which they've never developed a game on before. Even on one platform was a big ask. Considering they released the game on all three platforms with the staff they had is amazing to me. I'm also surprised at how quickly they got the physical rewards to backers compared to InXile. Regardless of what design decisions I may disagree with, with any faults with the game and it's great to see the intended patch notes go up for the players to see, I think Obsidian have done a sterling job.

Blizzard is basically the only game developer in the entire world that can afford to bugtest and balance for 2 years.

Not really. Rather it has to do with their approach to game development i.e. when it's done it's done.

"There once was a loon that twitter

Before he went down the ****ter

In its demise he wasn't missed

Because there were bugs to be fixed."

~ Kaine

Also, "4 million1!!!!11one!!!", yeah compared to the avarage 50 or so million of AAA+ games.

There are video game budgets as high as 300$ million, so what. Most of the time those are trash. Far better games have been made 15 or 20 years ago, with low funds, laughable staff count, and faulty game engines. Anyone with half a brain would know that. If you're guided by passion four million is a lot. Otherwise even 500$ million won't do you any good. Considering its budget PoE feels sub-par.

I must have missed the class that teaches how enough passion will pay the bills. Damn you Finnish school system, you have failed me yet again.

Sorry for being blunt but that's BS. I'll just say it again. Far better games have been made 15 or 20 years ago, with low funds, laughable staff count, and faulty game engines. So why cant they do it now? Because they're not guided by passion as much as before. People get older.

Most of the high budget games are trash. (also has to do with focusing resources on graphics)

Edited by Luj1

~ Kaine

Far better games have been made 15 or 20 years ago, with low funds, laughable staff count, and faulty game engines. So why cant they do it now?

Of course, they *can* do it today as well.

I have four words for you Obsidrones. Legend. of. Grimrock. 1.

4 man team. In a basement. Killer content. Killer graphics.

Edited by Luj1
  • Like 1

~ Kaine

*checks Wikipeida*

And it ONLY took them 12 years. See PoE2 in 2027?

Anyone obvious troll is obvious.

Giving up on the harder of the two speaks about yourself. In either case bad analogy is bad.

Shows how little you know, TSLRCM was definitely the harder of the 2, yet also the more satisfying.
Tell me, honestly, why the heck I should work for free for a bunch of ungrateful idiots?
If that apparently lacks character, so be it. I'm not a mule.

I bet you feel it's very bad slavery, torture and emotional abuse are outlawed pretty much everywhere. They build such character for people...

Not really. Rather it has to do with their approach to game development i.e. when it's done it's done.

If only a philosophy magically generated money. Seeing most filosophic people are pretty broke however, I don't think that's how the real world works.

Actually, I also recall a certain mod that had that philosophy... :-

• Like 1

^

I agree that that is such a stupid idiotic pathetic garbage hateful retarded scumbag evil satanic nazi like term ever created. At least top 5.

TSLRCM Official Forum || TSLRCM Moddb || My other KOTOR2 mods || TSLRCM (English version) on Steam || [M4-78EP on Steam

Formerly known as BattleWookiee/BattleCookiee

Far better games have been made 15 or 20 years ago, with low funds, laughable staff count, and faulty game engines. So why cant they do it now?

Oh yes, look at all the different shades of stone walls.   :rolleyes:

I enjoyed Grimrock, but it got pretty boring about 15 hours in.  Besides, it's a puzzle game, not a story RPG.  I don't see how it compares to PoE.  The story consists entirely of 'you've been pushed into a pit.'  How original.

Edit: Best thing about Grimrock is it probably got us Might & Magic Legacy.

Edited by Hurlshot

Oh yes, look at all the different shades of stone walls.   rolleyes.gif

No clue whatsoever.

I enjoyed Grimrock, but it got pretty boring about 15 hours in.

Yeah you really enjoyed it. lol. Anyway you're alone in that. Or youre simply not a fan of crawlers. Either way you're really challenged when it comes to separating the objective from subjective.

Besides, it's a puzzle game,

Just lol

Heh. MMX had a very well done combat system. But not much else. Actually it was a disaster overall. It's only worth playing for its turn based combat.

Edited by Luj1

~ Kaine

*checks Wikipeida*

And it ONLY took them 12 years.

That's irrelevant. What they did with 4 people and 50k is far more impressive than what Obsidian did with 80X that amount. Of other people's money. Raised up front.

~ Kaine

Obsidian is the best game company out there right now. They've been carrying the gaming torch since the demise of Black Isle Studios and Bioware, Bioware before EA got their hands on them.

• Like 3

War is Peace, Freedom is Slavery, Ignorance is Strength

Baldur's Gate modding
TeamBG
Baldur's Gate modder/community leader
Baldur's Gate - Enhanced Edition beta tester
Baldur's Gate 2 - Enhanced Edition beta tester

Icewind Dale - Enhanced Edition beta tester

Blizzard is basically the only game developer in the entire world that can afford to bugtest and balance for 2 years.

You realise that means the same thing, right?

Oh yes, look at all the different shades of stone walls.   rolleyes.gif

No clue whatsoever.

I enjoyed Grimrock, but it got pretty boring about 15 hours in.

Yeah you really enjoyed it. lol. Anyway you're alone in that. Or youre simply not a fan of crawlers. Either way you're really challenged when it comes to separating the objective from subjective.

Besides, it's a puzzle game,

Just lol

Heh. MMX had a very well done combat system. But not much else. Actually it was a disaster overall. It's only worth playing for its turn based combat.

Well I'm glad you enjoyed Grimrock.  As I said, I did as well, it was worth my money.  Not quite sure why you are comparing a crawler to PoE, but enjoy your time on these forums until you eventually wander off.   :thumbsup:

15 hours is a very good amount of hours for me on a budget title.  I have more games then time.

Edited by Hurlshot

dude, all big CRPG games have Bugs that passes through the radar after the release

Pillars is one of them, BG1 and 2 had lots of it, Divinity suffered from it, it takes time to locate all of them, and there are a few ones that needs a lot of work to replicate it

Diablo 2 had some of the most nastiest bugs ever

That's irrelevant. What they did with 4 people and 50k is far more impressive than what Obsidian did with 80X that amount. Of other people's money. Raised up front.

50k? And where did you get that number? I'm quite certain I've seen bigger numbers being thrown around in Finnish gaming magazines. They didn't take Kickstarter money because of Finnish law, not because they didn't want to. Yes, they did contract work long enough to get the money to get started and then afaik they borrowed some money from Tekes etc. Finnish organisations to fund the rest.

50k isn't enough to pay wages, rent etc. for 4 people office in Finland.

Hate the living, love the dead.

Killer graphics? Oh ffs. I'm from Finland and even I won't go as far as calling the graphics killer. They had solid graphics which they then recycled a lot since they did not have the budget nor the time to actually make more.

• Like 2

Also, "4 million1!!!!11one!!!", yeah compared to the avarage 50 or so million of AAA+ games.

There are video game budgets as high as 300$ million, so what. Most of the time those are trash. Far better games have been made 15 or 20 years ago, with low funds, laughable staff count, and faulty game engines. Anyone with half a brain would know that. If you're guided by passion four million is a lot. Otherwise even 500$ million won't do you any good. Considering its budget PoE feels sub-par.

I must have missed the class that teaches how enough passion will pay the bills. Damn you Finnish school system, you have failed me yet again.

Sorry for being blunt but that's BS. I'll just say it again. Far better games have been made 15 or 20 years ago, with low funds, laughable staff count, and faulty game engines. So why cant they do it now? Because they're not guided by passion as much as before. People get older.

Most of the high budget games are trash. (also has to do with focusing resources on graphics)

Faulty game engine doesn't sound like solid programming to me. 15-20 years ago it was much easier to get your game released and it was far easier to come up with something that hadn't been done to death by 153 other gaming companies. Publishers were actually interested in publishing different games not just the AAA crapfest we get these days from most publishers. Guess what happened to most of those "passion driven" gaming companies? They died 15-20 years ago. Either they went bankrupt on their own, got bought *cough EA cough* and then were sentenced to death. But most of those companies are now dead and buried. No matter how great their games were, they died just like the rest. No publisher wanted anything do with a game like Baldur's Gate. Not a single one. Even 15 years ago creating Baldur's Gate, Icewind Dale and Torment cost a lot of money. We are talking millions. You don't just create that kinda money out of thin air doing contract work here and there and keep your 160 staff members happy and paid. As far as I know Obsidian did do / are doing some contract work on the Russian MMO.

It's stupid to say that people working on PoE don't have passion for making games. Actually it's beyond stupid, it's retarded. They work long hours to create something so others can enjoy what they've created. There are far more easier ways to make money for programmer than to work in a indie gaming company. Sometimes they work every day of the week. To say that people who work that hard, don't have passion is disrespectful. But then again, you don't seem like a guy who actually would know anything about respect.

• Like 4

4 people in a basement splitting 50k over a 12 year development cycle sounds like the plot of a horror movie.

Why can't Obsidian follow this business model?   :blink:  

Actually it was 10 months or so. But still if they actually got paid something during that 10 months that 50k isn't enough.

• Like 2