Paralyzed - is it broken? Adra Dragon still wipes party with Wing Slam while it's paralyzed

I've seen this lots of times actually - mobs moving and making attacks while paralyzed, although it hasn't blocked progress till now. It's particularly frustrating, repeated wipes because the dragon still attacks after it's paralyzed.

I've completed the main quest on path of the damned - basically just the Adra Dragon to go, and I think I could take it if paralyzed actually worked ...

That wing slam of hers is precisely what Josh Sawyer claimed to dislike about the insta-kill spells in the IE games. It serves no in-game purpose but to force reloads since there's nothing that mitigates it in the slightest. It's an insta-kill no matter what level, class, or battlefield position your party may be.

Hey Josh, a question for you. What's the difference Between the Adra Dragon's Wing slam and, say, Icewind Dale 2's Wail of the Banshee? Well, besides the fact that decent party tactics can be used to survive the latter?

Edited by Stun
  • Like 1

That wing slam of hers is precisely what Josh Sawyer claimed to dislike about the insta-kill spells in the IE games. It serves no in-game purpose but to force reloads since there's nothing that mitigates it in the slightest. It's an insta-kill no matter what level, class, or battlefield position your party may be.

Hey Josh, a question for you. What's the difference Between the Adra Dragon's Wing slam and, say, Icewind Dale 2's Wail of the Banshee? Well, besides the fact that decent party tactics can be used to survive the latter?

Josh here. As I completely designed the adra dragon just by myself, let me preface this by saying *farts*

well in the end I did it on Path of the Dammed in spite of broken paralyze. Spoke to dragon agreed to help it, then went off and killed the lizardmen first and kept retreating and spamming paralyze (which works most of the time) to take dragon and wood nymphs.

I just beat the Adra dragon about an hour ago on Path of the damned running Fighter, Chanter, Barbarian, Cipher, Wizard Priest. I wiped 4 times in total before I figured out how to beat it. I didn't cheese it or anything and I fairly engaged all the enemies at once; I've done the whole cheese dragons thing from 3xDoom + Greater Malison + Chromatic Orb to Cloudkilling it from off screen, I wanted to fight it fairly.

I have to say, the hit detection for some of the Dragon's attacks seems extremely odd. For example Tail Lash, wtf? It doesn't hit in a conical area maybe 60 degrees wide at the back as you'd expect...no, it hits maybe 270 ****ing degrees around the Dragon, I was just dumbfounded when my casters who were near enough closer to her head than her tail got hit by it. Similarly that Wing Slam has an extremely daft range. My priest was standing a good few feet away from the Dragon and got hit while my Cipher who was closer didn't get hit.

At any rate, my Wizard managed to crit a scroll of paralysis for 30 seconds of paralyse while I had 4 Malignant clouds eating her health. Fun fight though.

I didn't cheese it or anything and I fairly engaged all the enemies at once; 

You cheeky bugger - "cheese it" indeed .... There's a spontaneous (no dialogue box) line of spoken dialogue from the dragon if you do it  my way - I suspect there's at least one other smart way the devs intended. But kudos to you for going all leeroy jenkins...

Edited by n0f8r

I've seen this lots of times actually - mobs moving and making attacks while paralyzed, although it hasn't blocked progress till now. It's particularly frustrating, repeated wipes because the dragon still attacks after it's paralyzed.

This is a bug, and it happens when hard CC effects are reapplied while a previously-applied effect of the same type is still active.

• Like 1

I told the dragon to help him, got the amulet to the dragon slayer and got this new dragon spell. Now the dragon is still friendly to me as long as I don't attack her. So I ran to her treasure-room and was infight. the Dragon will not run to you because he is blocked by the small creatures. So I spawned 2 Ogres with kana and kited the dragon with them until every minion was dead. After that I used Kana und kited the Dragon in a circle while he was singing his songs. I spawn this Ice attack that goes in 7 Directions every 5 Phrases. I did this for 20min and the Dragon died... my Party was counting the coins from the treasure during the kite session.

And thats how you kill a slow Dragon... running in a circle and singing Songs ^^

This is a bug, and it happens when hard CC effects are reapplied while a previously-applied effect of the same type is still active.

Thanks Anthony - so has it been reported - and acknowledged by Obsidian?

Edited by n0f8r

I told the dragon to help him, got the amulet to the dragon slayer and got this new dragon spell. Now the dragon is still friendly to me as long as I don't attack her. So I ran to her treasure-room and was infight. the Dragon will not run to you because he is blocked by the small creatures. So I spawned 2 Ogres with kana and kited the dragon with them until every minion was dead. After that I used Kana und kited the Dragon in a circle while he was singing his songs. I spawn this Ice attack that goes in 7 Directions every 5 Phrases. I did this for 20min and the Dragon died... my Party was counting the coins from the treasure during the kite session.

And thats how you kill a slow Dragon... running in a circle and singing Songs ^^

"I killed the dragon with the power of Rock and Roll!"

But.. buh.. muh hard counters.

t50aJUd.jpg