Aggressive generic NPC bug

elfbarf

Question

So I was doing the quest "Sacrificial Bloodlines" yesterday and was not content with simply killing Simoc after giving him the poison, nor did I want to sacrifice the child for him. Unfortunately for me, I lacked the intelligence & resolve necessary for the dialogue options, even with buffs (being a rogue). After looking over my options, I realized I could use the spell "Crowns of the Faithful" to give myself a ridiculous buff, allowing me to select the proper dialogue choices. The problem was it could only be used in combat.

My solution was to go into a nearby house in Elms' Reach, kill the generic NPC tribesman and tribeswoman inside, then cast the spell before combat dropped. After doing this I was able to reach Simoc on time to complete the quest.

Unfortunately, this seems to have caused an odd bug where generic NPCs (not just tribesmen/tribeswomen, but even a Vanguard Soldier in my stronghold) will engage in combat with my party if I walk right next to them. This only happens if I'm literally rubbing against their hitbox, thankfully. Unfortunately, it does require me to pay a bit more attention to where I'm moving so that I don't accidently start a fight with all of Twin Elms for example.

3 answers to this question

This is just another example of why the "only in combat" spellcasting restriction is ridiculous.

Infinity Engine games allowed you to use all those utility spells outside combat (like Knock, Friends, etc.), making you feel like a real wizard and not some kind of bound and gagged freak who is only released to wreak havoc at "appropriate times" upon "appropriate enemies". Deplorable encroachment upon player freedom.

This is just another example of why the "only in combat" spellcasting restriction is ridiculous.

Infinity Engine games allowed you to use all those utility spells outside combat (like Knock, Friends, etc.), making you feel like a real wizard and not some kind of bound and gagged freak who is only released to wreak havoc at "appropriate times" upon "appropriate enemies". Deplorable encroachment upon player freedom.

It also shows a glaring issue with the attribute system, with how it's practically impossible to create a well spoken rogue MC (which is probably my most commonly played character in RPGs) without seriously gimping their combat ability. Most locked dialogue options seem to require resolve or intellect, both of which are of very limited use to rogues. I've only come across a few strength checks, with them being very aggressive, brash options as one would imagine. I think I've come across a dexterity check once (during a quest for The Dozens)...maybe twice. Perception has been a bit more common, but not nearly as common as Resolve.

I was expecting less reliance on extremely high attribute checks after it was said that they weren't always the best choices, but I've run into several quests where they're required to avoid the "kill everyone" option. I've even consulted the official guide to see if I was missing some sort of alternative resolution, but I can't think of any cases in which I've missed anything.

Edited by elfbarf