Pillars of Future, new Engine

No. I despised NWN. The dragon age series is better than that was.

Your problem :D  Sounds like you never gave it a chance.

Also, Dragon Age *series* is a lost cause ... Only the first DA was good.

Edited by Luj1

"There once was a loon that twitter

Before he went down the ****ter

In its demise he wasn't missed

Because there were bugs to be fixed."

~ Kaine

The first NWN was extremly disapointing in solo, and quite enjoyable in multi.

I enjoyed it quite a lot in solo and LAN. But its golden era was post-2003 multiplayer, I agree. People still play on various PWs believe it or not. Some have been online for the last 10 years.

Edited by Luj1
  • Like 2

~ Kaine

I gave it a lot of chances. Worst. 3D. Engine. Ever. Made. In. The. History. Of. Video. Games. Do. Not. Repeat. That. Trash.

Ok I'll bite. Tell us why Neverwinter Nights' engine is the worst 3D engine created in the history of video games. Such extreme statement would prompt an equally verbose explanation.

My personal impression is that the camera in NwN was awkward and could've been done a lot better, but it's not as if it was game-breaking or particularly bad at the time (2001)

Edited by Luj1
  • Like 2

~ Kaine

Your overreacting but w/e. We all have some games we hold grudges against. I'll give you 1/10 for that concise answer.

• Like 1

~ Kaine

And compared to the previous IE games, it felt like a constipated turd to play.

NwN wasn't a successor to IE games , even though many people expected something along those lines at the time. Comparing an isometric RPG with 2D backgrounds and sprites to a 3D RPG, is like comparing apples to oranges. Very intelligent. Your knowledge of video game engines is impressive indeed.

• Like 1

~ Kaine

Here's the thing ... Over 77,000 people backed this game with $4m to have it as a 2D IE experience.

Now why exactly do you want to go back to a 3D engine? You already have hundreds of 3D RPGs to play.

Its not 'thinking of the future' to want future pillars games to move to 3D, the only reason why this game got backed and why it saved Obsidian is because they went back to what all the backers wanted - a 2D IE style game.

Stop trying to ruin that. We've already seen what happens in the end aka Dragon age 2 / DAI / Console Ports / Dumbed Down / **** 3D RPGs.

• Like 3

Next - Mortal Kombat 2 plays smoother than Tekken. Tekken's camera is harder to grasp than it is to look at sprites over a  2D background.

~ Kaine

NwN wasn't a successor to IE games , even though many people expected something along those lines at the time. Comparing an isometric RPG with 2D backgrounds and sprites to a 3D RPG, is like comparing apples to oranges. Very intelligent. Your knowledge of video game engines is impressive indeed.

False. NWN was a successor to AD&D2 games, succeeding then with the next D&D ruleset. The only reason it went 3D was because Wizards / Atari demanded it to allow liscensing of their DnD franchise. And it sucked in comparison to BG and IWD.

Here's the thing ... Over 77,000 people backed this game with $4m to have it as a 2D IE experience.

Now why exactly do you want to go back to a 3D engine?

I adore IE games and during the week behind us I've enjoyed PoE so much I think flowers will start growing out my arse. I just asked why you think Neverwinter Nights (2001) had the worst 3D engine in the history of video games.

EDIT: Nor I prefer 3D to a 2D IE experience as you call it.

Edited by Luj1

~ Kaine

argentina the people who backed this backed it because they wanted a type of game that was no longer made - the IE like games. Games with prerendered graphics, a iso-metric perspective (or at least something resembling a 3/4 perspective), tactical and party based.

A good analogy is to think of the backers as film buffs who have funded a slow black-and-white movie, because they feel they simply are not made anymore. What you are proposing is that the next should go full color, because someone else found a new way of making the colors extra vivid. Your suggestion is simply at odds with the basic premise of why most people are attracted to this game.

Sui Generis' engine may be perfectly fine for Sui Genesis, but what it would cost for Obsidian to modify it to their needs, if that is in fact realistic, is not worth it for PoE 2, compared to the engine they already have.

I think of the future.

Probably next Eternity will be 2D

But the further, will have to deal necessarily with the times.

Not everyone loves the 2d, we are a narrow niche, but you have to think that there are millions of players who now only appreciate the 3D and Obsidian works not only for passion but also for money and must extend its users.

This game and future games in this series are not for people like you. Go somewhere else and buy a 3D RPG. Its not going to happen with this series.

False. NWN was a successor to AD&D2 games, succeeding then with the next D&D ruleset. The only reason it went 3D was because Wizards / Atari demanded it to allow liscensing of their DnD franchise. And it sucked in comparison to BG and IWD.

While it is true that NwN used the next set of rules, it could have never been a spiritual successor to IE games due to early design choices.

NwN was meant to be a DnD cRPG in its own right, not a successor to BG/ID and that's how I regard it as well.

Edited by Luj1

~ Kaine

argentina the people who backed this backed it because they wanted a type of game that was no longer made - the IE like games. Games with prerendered graphics, a iso-metric perspective (or at least something resembling a 3/4 perspective), tactical and party based.

A good analogy is to think of the backers as film buffs who have funded a slow black-and-white movie, because they feel they simply are not made anymore. What you are proposing is that the next should go full color, because someone else found a new way of making the colors extra vivid. Your suggestion is simply at odds with the basic premise of why most people are attracted to this game.

Sui Generis' engine may be perfectly fine for Sui Genesis, but what it would cost for Obsidian to modify it to their needs, if that is in fact realistic, is not worth it for PoE 2, compared to the engine they already have.

I think of the future.

Probably next Eternity will be 2D

But the further, will have to deal necessarily with the times.

Not everyone loves the 2d, we are a narrow niche, but you have to think that there are millions of players who now only appreciate the 3D and Obsidian works not only for passion but also for money and must extend its users.

This game and future games in this series are not for people like you. Go somewhere else and buy a 3D RPG. Its not going to happen with this series.

On a sidenote, I think you have wrongly put me in the same basket as these people who somehow think the next PoE should be 3D. xD. I don't think that way, or that this topic is very smart, I assure you. I just love the IE games as they have always been. I just asked why you think Neverwinter Nights (2001) had the worst 3D engine in the history of video games, seeing how that statement is overreacting a little bit. EDIT: A more sensible answer would have been 'Im just a 2D person and generally dislike 3D RPGs' but w/e.

Edited by Luj1
  • Like 2

~ Kaine

I expected a BG successor with NWN

Me too. And all my friends. However after some time I've learned to appreciate it in its own right. It is kind of a same story as HoMM 4. You know. Initial disappointment, but as the time went by, I've grown fond of it (and regard it not as a part of the series , but rather as a standalone)

I tried to play it like BG with top down camera and I almost had an aneurysm every time.

xD Ah... that explains it. I used mainly the 'driving camera mode' I think it was called. It was a lot more friendly than top down, which was the worst option I believe.

Edited by Luj1

~ Kaine

Why do everyone poses a question as 2D vs. 3D? Both can look nice enough and give an artists suitable means to express artstyle. NWN 1&2 are probably not a very good examples because when they were developed hardware couldn't afford really fancy 3D.

Aside from that, I'm strongly against "borrowing" someone else's engine for future PoEs at this point. Obsidian spent 2,5 years modifying Unity to fit their needs, building workflow, creating assets and now they should throw it all out of the window while the graphical part is awesome as it is? Why on Earth would they do that?

I like the idea of them building specific engine for RPGs like PoE, though. In theory. It's helluva work and certainly beyond their scope right now, but it still would be nice.

• Like 2

Agreed. The opening post isn't really well thought-out.

~ Kaine

AFAIK Aurora was an upgrade of Infinity, pretty much the same engine, but with a 3D renderer instead of 2D graphics

Walsingham said:

I was struggling to understand ths until I noticed you are from Finland. And having been educated solely by mkreku in this respect I am convinced that Finland essentially IS the wh40k universe.