Pillars of Future, new Engine

Hello guys.

As I watched this new project https://youtu.be/PvZchE30StQ?t=44s

I thought about Pillars of Eternity.

Just imagine a hypothetical Eternity with this new engine.

Looks perfect.

Clearly, the gameplay remains the same, pause tactic, etc.

But the graphics, could be revolutionary.

Try to think of the implications that could be created.

It would not be the first time that the boys of Obsidian, take "borrow" a graphics engine.

what do you all think?

Edited by argenti
  • Like 2

That's not "new". I remember that promo video for their game's kickstarter, which was a couple years ago or something, just like PoE. But yes I think at the time some were impressed with it. It got funding, at any rate.

“Things are as they are. Looking out into the universe at night, we make no comparisons between right and wrong stars, nor between well and badly arranged constellations.” – Alan Watts

That's not "new". I remember that promo video for their game's kickstarter, which was a couple years ago or something, just like PoE. But yes I think at the time some were impressed with it. It got funding, at any rate.

Yes but the point is another.

What I propose, is to use their engine, for our Pillars.

Their project is interesting but is an action RPG, I'm interested in a tactical RPG like Pillars of Eternity but with that graphics.

I don't know if I explained good

Edited by argenti
  • Like 1

One of the nice things about Unity is that it scales really, really well. Personally, though, I'd rather see Obisidian/InXile/Whoever build a NEW engine from scratch specifically for IE-style games. Obisidian managed to do great things with Unity, but you can really feel the limitations of the engine.

• Like 1

A fantastic tech demo but nothing else. And honestly, I'm not sure that kind of tech would really benefit a game like Eternity. Besides, I wonder how that engine would handle 20 characers swinging swrods on screen at the same time - because so far I've only seen two.

It looks nice but I personally would like to see more cRPGs in the format of IE engine style backgrounds. There's a artistic style that comes with it that got lost hen everything moved over to 3d rendering.

Precisely why I proposed this engine.

Because if you look carefully, you will notice how much you look like similar, in the colors and generally in the graphic style.

Dislike. Pre-rendered backgrounds and fixed camera are better.

• Like 3

"Wizards do not need to be The Dudes Who Can AoE Nuke You and Gish and Take as Many Hits as a Fighter and Make all Skills Irrelevant Because Magic."

-Josh Sawyer

Dislike. Pre-rendered backgrounds and fixed camera are better.

To be fair, you can have fixed camera on a 3D game.

And I do want a fixed camera angle. Games like NWN, DA:O and WL2 would've all been better games if they had a fixed camera angle and level design that takes that angle into account.

• Like 3

I like prerendered background more for IE style games, this engine has a lot of ??? attached to it.

Derpdragon of the Obsidian Order

Derpdragons everywhere. I like spears.

No sleep for the Watcher... because he was busy playing Pillars of Eternity instead.

I like prerendered background more for IE style games, this engine has a lot of ??? attached to it.

Take a look

SGC06.jpg

SGC04.jpg

The reason why I proposed this engine is just because I seem to have the same feeling Infinity E

I'll not post anymore pictures or video, I do not plan to advertise their Project.
I was interested only give a hint, an idea.

The Infinity engine from the old DAO would be nice, plus close ups of your companions while interacting with them would be nice.

DAO didn't use the infinity engine.

"Wizards do not need to be The Dudes Who Can AoE Nuke You and Gish and Take as Many Hits as a Fighter and Make all Skills Irrelevant Because Magic."

-Josh Sawyer

Shadowrun Returns is actually 3D with a fixed camera angle. I like it.

A free-moving camera adds nothing of value to a tactical party-based game though, whether it's RT or TB. It's just a distraction from what really matters.

Level design has to take this into account ofc. 

I have a project. It's a tabletop RPG. It's free. It's a work in progress. Find it here: www.brikoleur.com

I would prefer Obsidian to stick with Unity.  With the competition from Unreal, the people behind Unity have a lot of reason to constantly improve their product.  More importantly, Unity has been proven to be a successful engine.  Sui Generis has yet to prove its worth.