Wizardry 8

Luj1

pBswl6X.jpg

I love this game. It has such a great setting (scifi - fantasy), atmosphere, music, and tactical combat. Its also first person which is great for immersion. It also has humour. And is hard as hell, both combat-wise and puzzles. Character progression is not too slow but fast enough. What is everyone thoughts on it? Here is my last party consisting of - Fighter, Valkyrie, Gadgeeter,  Priest, Bishop, Mage, and 2 NPCs - a Rogue and another Valkyrie. Cheers.

hEPXCXr.jpg

• Like 1

"There once was a loon that twitter

Before he went down the ****ter

In its demise he wasn't missed

Because there were bugs to be fixed."

~ Kaine

Wizardry 8 is one of my favorite games, though I wouldn't call it hard (except maybe on hard, but given that hard basically just screws you on dice rolls, I've never seen the point.) I even bought the guide book when it came out, because I was worried I wouldn't be able to get it later if I wanted it (and online guides weren't really a thing at the time.)

My favorite party was Lord/Monk/Samurai/Ranger/Bard (Level 18 + 100 Music)-> Fighter/Gadgeteer (Level 18 + 100 Engineering + all gadgets) -> Rogue

Let me have all the goodness of every spell school and all the instruments/gadgets, while still having a party that would wreck face in melee. Oh, and screw the XP Thieves (also known as NPCs...though I'd probably actually use them if they didn't have the annoying bit about not going to certain areas.) Also never used the Omnigun, since I hate having to chase enemies that get blinded. Oh, and the Ranger was a Mook so I could use the Giant's Sword.

That wasn't the first party I beat the game with, but it was my favorite. First party had a fighter and a priest, but I don't recall the others (I want to say I had an alchemist that I changed to a ninja after learning all the spells, but I'm not sure if that was in my first party or not.)

I will admit I've never beaten all 3 hidden dungeons, though. It's something I've been meaning to do...of course, so is beating Wizardry 7, and I've been meaning to do that for a couple decades now.

Edited by Vaeliorin
  • Like 2

Wiz8 and especially Wiz7 have some awesome class systems don't you think :D

~ Kaine

Wiz8 and especially Wiz7 have some awesome class systems don't you think :D

Wiz 8 is probably one of my favorite class systems. Wizardry 6 & 7 however, have insanely abusable class systems that almost demand you save before leveling up, reloading if you don't get the stats you want. Constantly switching classes every few times you level up (which is basically mandatory in order to get the skill points you need) is just silly.
  • Like 1

I really enjoyed this game. But there was so much grindy combat I could never play it a second time but man it was fun.

The humor parts were really great. I remember one of my characters upon his resurrection: 'There IS life after death! But it wasn't that interesting. Oh well' the dead pan the voice actor did really sold it.

• Like 2

I really enjoyed this game. But there was so much grindy combat I could never play it a second time but man it was fun.

yeah combat was grindy... there is a utility which speeds it anywhere from 2-1000x so that alleviates it a little bit

The humor parts were really great. I remember one of my characters upon his resurrection: 'There IS life after death! But it wasn't that interesting. Oh well' the dead pan the voice actor did really sold it.

yeah :D haha

or when one of my female party members died, someone said in a burly voice "aye she was a bony lass" xD

Edited by Luj1

~ Kaine

I really liked Wizardry 8 except one thing.

Formations.  I really hate it in games when the opponent in combat has options that the player can't have.  That's a cheap way to make combat "challenging" to me.  Often the difficulty in fights in Wiz8 weren't because of facing or poor squad formation or something similar like you'd expect in the style of game.  It was because enemy spell lobbers could hit your entire group with spells EVERY ROUND because you were locked in a close formation but because they weren't locked into formation you'd be lucky to hit both of their spell casters at once and you'd rarely get more than one round where you *might* be able to hit most of their group with a spell.

Otherwise it was a fun game.  Disliked that particular "feature" though something fierce; I don't recall it being a part of the early Wizardry's (which were more traditional - PC/Enemy fight in formation in turns as I recall) and I don't know if that was something that crept into the 4-5 Wizardrys I never played before 8.

Edited by Amentep

I cannot - yet I must. How do you calculate that? At what point on the graph do "must" and "cannot" meet? Yet I must - but I cannot! ~ Ro-Man