Blade of the Endless Paths

I sided with the dozens too but did at least one quest for the knights before they didn't want me helping them anymore. I had no problem getting the smith to reforge it. It wasn't even a skill check iirc. 

- How can I live my life if I can't even tell good from evil?

- Eh, they're both fine choices. Whatever floats your boat. 

Note that the quest will update to explicitly tell you "The blade is ready to be reforged now" once you have all the pieces -- if it hasn't, you don't have all 4 pieces.

The text of the journal entry is confused -- the "header" (for lack of a better turn) says "I've found a portion of an ancient blade", then an entry is added for each piece of the blade that you find.  Thus, when you have three pieces, it will look like you have all four from the quest log (the header, plus three updates) but you really are still missing one.  This confused me for quite some time...

Is it always an Estoc though? I would like multiple options to forge it into a weapon of your preference either by Dunstan or there could be multiple smiths scattered across the world and each of them would make a different type of sword.

Where do I find the 4th part? I've got the blade, hilt and the red gem. Answer as a hidden spoiler pls.

The blade was snapped into two pieces.  The pommel is the last piece you find if you find them in order.  So this should give you an idea where to go.