"Parable of Wael" Bugged

patriot247

Question

Doesn't matter if I bury the skull in the Dragon or return straight to the Priest. As soon as I enter the building, all of the priests of Wael are hostile to me and attack me. No idea why. It's extremely frustrating. Thought it was part of the quest until I got "task failed" as soon as I killed the quest NPC who attacked me.

I didn't save it, but I tried it multiple times and nothing makes them not hostile. At this point, the task is impossible to complete for me.

• Like 2

24 answers to this question

The same thing is happening to me. Pretty certain it's because I stole some books from the locked room, whoops. Any way to reset my allegiance via the console or anything?

Any help would be hugely appreciated, this is so frustrating.

Zrin, if you turned them hostile by stealing from them, then it's not really a bug if you can't complete their other quest.

It's weird though, when I originally stole the item I was stealthed and no one noticed or seemed to care, now they're attacking me on sight as soon as I enter. Is that how stealing work or...?

I stole something in the chest but wasn't caught, but no one turned angry on me until I returned like the OP. In fact, I'm pretty sure I stole the item in the chest before I got the quest. But yeah bugged for me too. No way to reset it, and I lost a ton of reputation unintentionally in the bay. How do we know who's good or bad? It's like they forced you to fail on this quest. You automatically have to fight as soon as ya enter, can't leave, and are forced to defend yourself. The best I can do is elect not to go into that building to avoid losing rep i guess.

Zrin, if you turned them hostile by stealing from them, then it's not really a bug if you can't complete their other quest.

It's weird though, when I originally stole the item I was stealthed and no one noticed or seemed to care, now they're attacking me on sight as soon as I enter. Is that how stealing work or...?

In general, no, and it's something the game at least needs to telegraph more clearly as a possible consequence if it's intended behaviour.

I have the same thing. It's a massive let down. The game gives no indication that stealing when you are out of sight from everyone has any negative effects. I read that they attack you if you don't talk to them about hiding the scroll before you actually hide it. Reloaded the game and lost many hours of play time just so I could do it properly and then it happens anyway. Very annoying when you are being careful to do everything right. I'm beginning to think this is the kind of game I will only play through once. i'd stop now if I hadn't already invested so much time. Seriously annoyed with this!

I had similar problem. You can try entering the building in stealth mode, that way all NPCs don't turn hostile. It worked for me, although I'm not sure which behavior is a bug, NPCs turning hostile when you reenter or them acting normal when you reenter in stealth mode.

I read that they attack you if you don't talk to them about hiding the scroll before you actually hide it.

They were fine with me doing this; said that they might ordinarily doubt someone saying that, but I have a reputation as an honest person so they believe me.

Yay for disposition choices mattering.

This now happened to me twice, which have had me loose lots of in-game hours. I'll break it up in short description:

1. Both of the times I unlocked the door, and stealthed as I was stealing, and without being caught stole some books, and stole the scroll needed for The Theorems for Pandgram.

2. The first time I got so far in the quest that I got the scroll, and buried it. Upon my return I got attacked as soon as I entered the building. AND ofcourse, I had not saved for the last 3-4 hours, so it was a long backtracking.

3. Second time I did a few other quests, and thought I had forgotten to ask where to find the thieves, so I went back inside... and again, I got attacked. Reloaded from a save from just 10-20 min earlier and snuck in - none attacked. Reloaded, and walked in - got attacked.
4. Either there is a bug where you can sneak in to reset the aggro, or the bug is that they somehow realized you've stolen from them - despite not seeing you done it. And I've stolen A **** LOAD of stuffs before, without being spotted, and no consequence... so how the heck is it that this lot knows?
5. So solution for me: Sneak in! (DO NOT want to reload and backtrack another couple of hours)

• Like 2

I had this bug and can confirm that entering the building in Scouting mode fixes the issue. You can come and go from that point on without being attacked.

I do think that this is a bug, either not intended to happen at all or only working half as designed. There are no other areas (at least in my gameplay so far) where a character is recognised to have stolen an item when they haven't been seen, whether immediately or by leaving and being caught on returning to the area. However, NPCs can and will become immediately hostile if your party enters an area they deem forbidden.

In the case of the Hall of Revealed Mysteries, the archive area has an NPC near the door that specifically tells you that entrance to the archive is forbidden without the consent of Grimda. I assume entering this room without consent is what causes the eventual NPC hostility and that they should probably turn hostile instantly rather than on entering the Hall a second time.

I don't believe this bug is tied to the Parable of Wael quest as I have only picked the quest up, not progressed it at all. I think it is tied to entering the forbidden area of the Hall of Revealed Mysteries.

• Like 3

Creepy and Surreal - Death Godlike PoE Portrait Pack - Last Updated 12 April 2015

Has there been any further word on this issue? I was talking to one of my friends who just completed the game and it turns out he was hit by this bug as well. As he didn't find out about the trick to get around the issue, he ended up killing everyone in the area and lost a lot of reputation. This then meant that he couldn't continue with Eder's personal quest due to the quest's reputation requirement and, I assume, any other quests with reputation requirements in the area right to the end of the game.

Creepy and Surreal - Death Godlike PoE Portrait Pack - Last Updated 12 April 2015

yes it's a bug. First time I entered this building, I tried to steal the book in the locked room, and I got caught by the npc standing close to the door. So I quickloaded and I tried again, this time the npc didn't see me. Then I went in front of the npc that give the quest and saved my game there and closed the game. Some hours later when I reloaded my game, everyone was hostile.

Hey patriot247,

This is definitely an issue. Successfully stealing (however immoral) should not be triggering hostile responses from the NPC's. The bug is triggering after you steal from the Hall and return. To dodge the issue, just make sure to complete both quests dealing with the Hall before looting it for all it is worth. I have added the issue into our database and we will work for a fix for a future patch.

Remember hands in your pockets inside the Hall of Revealed Mysteries until we can get a fix out

Huge bug and extremely annoying.

1) I stole the said book without anyone seeing me.

2) I THEN talked to Gilda (or whatever her name is) and got the Parable of Wael quest. Obviously no one was hostile to me.

3) I exited the temple, then came back (for whatever reason). They started attacking me.

4) I loaded my latest quicksave which was when I'd just stolen the book and they attacked me still!

This is a HUGE setback as both my latest quicksave and autosave practically throw me in the middle of the battle. I don't even know if I can finish the quest now (I doubt it). My previous normal save was 2 hours ago, even before entering the temple of woedica so there's no way I'm rolling back that much. Not to mention the whole thing spoiled my local reputation.

It's very disappointing... Hopefully a future patch will rectify this but it'll probably be too late for those who've already experienced the bug.

I don't believe this bug is tied to the Parable of Wael quest as I have only picked the quest up, not progressed it at all. I think it is tied to entering the forbidden area of the Hall of Revealed Mysteries.

Exactly. I'd quicksaved immediately after entering the forbidden room and stealing the book. Obviously no one was hostile at that time. I THEN got the Parable quest. As soon as I loaded my quicksave, they attacked me on sight. The workaround mentioned here does not work. If this reputation cost really affects the Eder storyline, then the bug is nearly game breaking. Now I have to roll back and play from the temple of Woedica.

2+ hour lost, nice work Obsidian, nice work. Next time please add a kindly notification at the loading screens, to remind us to save (not quicksave) the game every 2 minutes because you never know what'll break the next time.

Edited by zeppos

OK, so it turned out it wasn't that bad as I skipped all dialogs and reading and it only took me 20 minutes or so to get to the same point.

It seems that the issue starts with the locked door that leads to the forbidden study. If my party unlocks it and tries to enter it while in stealth mode, all's well and no one gets hostile (until I come back to the library or reload a saved game inside it).

But if I simply try to enter the room in normal (ie. not stealthy) mode, the priest outside the room immediately attacks us. So that's another side effect of the bug, it's not only related to actually stealing the book. Guess I'll stay away from that door until a fix is deployed. :p

I had this problem but I did assume it was because I picked the lock & went where I shouldn't just didn't have a save I could back load to recover & start over. Here's how it went in my game & wondering if there's some way to reset Grimda to friendly so as to complete the task even (such as a control panel cheat to reset Grimda) after all the playing I've done since as I'm way past this & just going back for fun to old tasks. Originally I went to Grimda & got the Parable of Wael task mission & then went snooping around & picked the locked room but don't remember if I stole anything at that point or not then went about getting the scroll then returned to Grimda & when I entered all were hostile so I've killed them all (Hey they attacked me after all!!!) other than Grimda & looted the place. Can I reset Grimda to friendly to end the task or approach here in scout mode to open the conversation to finish the task? Like I said I'm well past this point so no save to reload back to but no biggie if I can't reset her in the overall scheme of my game. Given my situation what would burying it in the dragon skull do for me?

thanks, no problem on losing the achievements as I know what I've accomplished. I've already maxed out all party members & not even finished going after Thaos at Burial Isle plus have built all things in the stronghold etc