So there's a 1 per rest Summon 3x Shade item.

3 Shades vs. most things = things lose.

I've got it equipped on my tank PC on PotD. Any time a battle goes seriously south on me, I pop shades and quickly turn the tides. I've even had ONLY my tank left, summoned shades, and they clean up everything NP.

The Phantom summon Chanter gets is pretty good. But 3 shades basically spam stun a single target, or you can split them up and CC three targets for awhile. It's hard for most enemies to deal with just a single shade beating on them.

Shades themselves, and shadows, phantoms and the like are probably just overpowered themselves. They're easily the most difficult/frustrating part of the early game to face. They have crazy high deflection and high defenses, seem to have sneak attack, and they attack fast and interrupt a lot. And of course as many people have found out they like to teleport past melee and just KO your Aloth.

• Like 2

I've got it equipped on my tank PC on PotD. Any time a battle goes seriously south on me, I pop shades and quickly turn the tides. I've even had ONLY my tank left, summoned shades, and they clean up everything NP.

The Phantom summon Chanter gets is pretty good. But 3 shades basically spam stun a single target, or you can split them up and CC three targets for awhile. It's hard for most enemies to deal with just a single shade beating on them.

Shades themselves, and shadows, phantoms and the like are probably just overpowered themselves. They're easily the most difficult/frustrating part of the early game to face. They have crazy high deflection and high defenses, seem to have sneak attack, and they attack fast and interrupt a lot. And of course as many people have found out they like to teleport past melee and just KO your Aloth.

I sat though what felt like hours of being stun locked its my turn now. 

• Like 6

Assuming the summon items are hand-placed uniques, just give them a limited number of charges like the wolf totem thingy in IWD II. Three shades uber strong? Then the lamp only has two charges, so you'll want to save the item for a really tough fight. Or make it two shades and give it three charges.

Exoduss, on 14 Apr 2015 - 11:11 AM, said: 

also secret about hardmode with 6 man party is :  its a faceroll most of the fights you will Auto Attack mobs while lighting your spliff

I was hoping this was a joke topic.

Am disappoint.

(I don't dispute your argument, to be clear. I just wasn't familiar with the item and assumed you were making fun of topics about things being overpowered.)

If I'm typing in red, it means I'm being sarcastic. But not this time.

Dark green, on the other hand, is for jokes and irony in general.

@OP (or anyone else that knows): could you please tell where to get this item, using a spoiler tag of course

now that slicken, chill fog and mind blades have been nerfed i need another way to cheese hard fights :p

Their accuracy is otherworldly.

They have low Health though and respond well to debuffs. 

My anti-shade Rx is Fan of Flames as opener, then Holy Radiance (DD and +5 ACC), any DEFL debuff I have available (Curse of Blackened Sight, Eyestrike), and then murder them. They go down in a couple of hits once you've got the defenses down.

They are among the hardes early-game enemies though, no question about that. I got TPW'ed lots of times before I figured out how to beat them.

I have a project. It's a tabletop RPG. It's free. It's a work in progress. Find it here: www.brikoleur.com

Its somewhere in defiance bay in one of the buildings.

could you be more specific? i just murdered the whole doemenel clan in search for this item (to no avail) :p

Edited by cdd
  • Like 1

It was in some odd locked chest IIRC, in one of the defiance bay buildings. First thing I did when I got to defiance bay was loot everything I could while getting, of course, lots of lockpicking/trap disarming XP.

I can't recall exactly where TBH. I didn't have to kill anyone for it.

It might be technically stealing, but I was able to get it without being spotted.

My anti-shade Rx is Fan of Flames as opener, then Holy Radiance (DD and +5 ACC), any DEFL debuff I have available (Curse of Blackened Sight, Eyestrike), and then murder them. They go down in a couple of hits once you've got the defenses down.

They are among the hardes early-game enemies though, no question about that. I got TPW'ed lots of times before I figured out how to beat them.

All of their defenses are pretty high so they don't really respond well to debuffs. Fortitude is their weakest and it's 50. The Shades' and Phantoms' are even higher.

Edited by Odd Hermit

The summoning items are lovely, but 3 shades might be a tad too much. I use the cloak that summons a beagle and love it. It's not too powerful, but it can be a life saver when the game does its cutscene -> start fight with bad positioning nonsense.

Edited by termokanden

I think its in the val..... embassy in first fires

You're right. Chest in the back, Mech 8 or 7 + 8 picks.

The Adra Beetle statue is nuts too. Two casts of Shocking Blast per summon? That's the same spell that makes Forge Knights so crazy for an unprepared player.

• Like 1

Exoduss, on 14 Apr 2015 - 11:11 AM, said: 

also secret about hardmode with 6 man party is :  its a faceroll most of the fights you will Auto Attack mobs while lighting your spliff

Don't forget that they also throw iceshards of doom, 

You forgot the worst part, they can constantly summon more Shadows to fight too!

Not in POTD. Debuffing them in that seems futile.

• Like 1

im glad we can find these things without buying them.... 15000 for the one from the merchant in copperland jog right on, ill have finished five times over by the time i can afford to buy all the figurines

Is it after patch? Before patch they were valued at ~600 (horn) to ~1500 (figurines). If yes - damn, that's a difference. Still, you can find at least two figurines (scarab and spiders) quite early in the game.

im glad we can find these things without buying them.... 15000 for the one from the merchant in copperland jog right on, ill have finished five times over by the time i can afford to buy all the figurines

Is it after patch? Before patch they were valued at ~600 (horn) to ~1500 (figurines). If yes - damn, that's a difference. Still, you can find at least two figurines (scarab and spiders) quite early in the game.

Yea the main issue i was having (over in the solo expert whatever thread) is that in PoTD solo some fights are just impossible without a summon because you get swarmed and stun locked, before the patch you could just about do it by finding a wall and summoning a figurine. IT was annoying as hell because the only reason the fights are impossible is because phantoms stun lock you for your entire hp (i had a cloak that healed my damage back to me) so it went from full hp to 0 over like 3-5 minutes, and because phantoms stun on autoattack multiple phantoms were entirely impossible to deal ith regardless of how good your build was.

The figurine was so needed that I resorted to banditry until i could afford it

Edited by Ceranai

Don't forget that they also throw iceshards of doom, 

You forgot the worst part, they can constantly summon more Shadows to fight too!

Not in POTD. Debuffing them in that seems futile.

They should let the shades summoned by this lamp summon shadows.

With their own Obsidian Lamp Figurines.

Then it would all make sense.

And Fort is their weakest defense. They have high will and I believe reflex is their highest which most low level spells target. There's a Druid spell that targets fort but it's freeze damage so pffffffffffft.

Cipher probably the best against them at low level since Eyestrike targets Fort and is a pretty good debuff.

Edited by Odd Hermit