I don't like that the right way to play this game is: sneak+fast mode

It's annoying. If you sneak then ur snail slow but discover traps and secrets, which is mandatory.

So basically the new "normal" is sneak + fast mode (D button)

I don't really like it.

Please make trap and secret detection automatic without sneak, obsidian

• Like 11

Ive been doing the exact same thing through every map, you pretty much have to since traps show up odd places, and some random bushes rocks, and piles of stuff turn out to have items hidden in them, while others dont, so you have to keep it on everywhere you go if you want to find stuff.

• Like 1

there was a workabout if you equip the boots of speed on everyone, but they've broken it in 1.03

I see the dreams so marvelously sad

The creeks of land so solid and encrusted

Where wave and tide against the shore is busted

While chanting by the moonlit twilight's bed

trees (of Twin Elms) could use more of Magran's touch © Durance

Mechanics really should be always on. 

• Like 4

"When the foul sore of envy corrupts the vanquished heart, the very exterior itself shows how forcibly the mind is urged by madness. For paleness seizes the complexion, the eyes are weighed down, the spirit is inflamed, while the limbs are chilled, there is frenzy in the heart, there is gnashing with the teeth."

Traps are almost always only inside dungeons.

But cool loot could be anywhere.

This. Ive run into treasures in tent shadows, random piles of stuff, and so on, since we dont know where everything already is, I atleast feel I have to search everywhere if I want to find treasure to sell so i can upgrade this giant castle i was handed and get a proper weapon.

well it's OK if you dont like it. but i'm loving it ALOT. the slow mode really important when i'm playing hard. and the fast mode is really nice when moving from point A to point B where you have previously cleared.

Way of totally missing the point.

He is arguing about the fact that as the game is now, he feels that he needs to be constantly in stealth mode to detect stuff, and at the same time in fast forward mode to not go around at a crawl speed.

well it's OK if you dont like it. but i'm loving it ALOT. the slow mode really important when i'm playing hard. and the fast mode is really nice when moving from point A to point B where you have previously cleared.

We, or atleast I, am not bothered by having the slow and fast modes, the problem is the fact that fast mode + stealth has become the default way of moving anywhere since we need scout on in order to find, often important hidden items.

Trap and secret detection without also slowing your character down will fail, because people will move past secrets and run into traps before they detect them.  Even when moving slowly, those situations are possible, so when I think a secret or trap is likely to be in the area I will occasionally stop my movement for a moment to give a little more time for detection.

If they made the change you're requesting it wouldn't hurt me, because I'd just stop moving more frequently, but there would be a lot of people complaining about walking into traps, I expect.

Also, even if there was a detection mode that didn't require you to be sneaking, it would still be better for you to be sneaking so that you would see enemies before they see you.  That gives you the opportunity to determine if and how the fight will begin, which is a big advantage.  I suspect that's why they combined the two modes...even if they separated them you would be wisest to turn on both at the same time almost all the time anyway.

• Like 1

I really hate the scouting mode concept - It boils down to having to touch every vertical surface in the game as if this was an old FPS game ala. Doom or Wolfenstein.

What was wrong with half stat spot and listen checks from D&D? If something was hidden well enough you'd have to spend some real effort finding it. If it wasn't particularly well hidden, you'd notice it quickly on your own.

But instead we're basically instructed to sneak in fast mode everywhere, because the secrets are few and usually very good. It also looks incredibly silly.

• Like 4

I think it's great as is. Makes sense to me that if you're taking extra care then you move more slowly. As for 'right' way to play the game, that's nonsense: The right way to play it is whatever's fun for you - for me my characters move at their normal speed most of the time and only slow down to search if they're looking for something in particular or being wary of traps.

He is arguing about the fact that as the game is now, he feels that he needs to be constantly in stealth mode to detect stuff, and at the same time in fast forward mode to not go around at a crawl speed.

Personally, I'm very glad that it is possible to use double speed while sneaking, also also while not sneaking.  It's a nice feature that the IE games lacked.  I fail to see how removing double speed, which would slow us down more, or splitting sneak mode into detection and sneak modes, which would not remove the need for or advantage of being in sneak mode, would improve the situation.

I don't really mind. Scouting in Eternity is still a lot more convenient than trap detection in IE games.

On the other hand, if scouting was automatic and we'd have plain stealth instead, I guess we'd get rid of Durance's obnoxious "And what does the flame reveal?" God, I hate that overacting!

Also, even if there was a detection mode that didn't require you to be sneaking, it would still be better for you to be sneaking so that you would see enemies before they see you.  That gives you the opportunity to determine if and how the fight will begin, which is a big advantage.  I suspect that's why they combined the two modes...even if they separated them you would be wisest to turn on both at the same time almost all the time anyway.

I do agree with that point, but--

If they made the change you're requesting it wouldn't hurt me, because I'd just stop moving more frequently, but there would be a lot of people complaining about walking into traps, I expect.

WHY ISN'T THERE AN AUTOPAUSE ON TRAP SPOTTED OPTION?! (obviously, I'm not demanding answers of YOU, Emptiness, just sayin'--it's a heluvan oversight

• Like 1

Personally, I'm very glad that it is possible to use double speed while sneaking, also also while not sneaking.  It's a nice feature that the IE games lacked.  I fail to see how removing double speed, which would slow us down more, or splitting sneak mode into detection and sneak modes, which would not remove the need for or advantage of being in sneak mode, would improve the situation.

The point is that in the old IE games the "find/disarm trap/hidden stuff" mechanics was independent from the stealth one.

I think it's great as is. Makes sense to me that if you're taking extra care then you move more slowly. As for 'right' way to play the game, that's nonsense: The right way to play it is whatever's fun for you - for me my characters move at their normal speed most of the time and only slow down to search if they're looking for something in particular or being wary of traps.

I could have agreed with this sentiment if the secrets in the game at least tried to stick with a certain formula of logic. As it stands now most of the secrets are arbitrarily placed in hallways or in randomly placed cupboards. You'd expect to find a secret in a vault room, a puzzle or as a secret compartment in a suspiciously looking wall.

What would be the solution? E.g. Make traps and secrets visible without stealth: in that case, why even bother having them? Traps would have to be detected much more quickly than now, otherwise people running at normal speed (or on double) will run over traps they find all the time, leading to complaints. You could add autopause on trap detection, but then there would again be only one 'right way' to play, which is with that autopause on (or it's back to stealthing anyway). Similarly, what's the point of secrets being secrets if all you have to do is dump some points into mechanics (which everyone does anyway) and then they just pop up? You might as well not have any secrets then. 

I also feel pretty silly sneaking around in places were I can clearly be seen. My character might be honest and rational and benevolent but its hard to imagine I wouldnt develop a reputation for walking around very suspiciously also.

• Like 1

What would be the solution? E.g. Make traps and secrets visible without stealth: in that case, why even bother having them? Traps would have to be detected much more quickly than now, otherwise people running at normal speed (or on double) will run over traps they find all the time, leading to complaints. You could add autopause on trap detection, but then there would again be only one 'right way' to play, which is with that autopause on (or it's back to stealthing anyway). Similarly, what's the point of secrets being secrets if all you have to do is dump some points into mechanics (which everyone does anyway) and then they just pop up? You might as well not have any secrets then. 

You can give a slight bonus when stealthing slowly over normal mode, or alternately a penalty to any rolls to spot stuff - of course this would be problematic if the game doesn't make periodic roles when your characters "hang out" near a hidden object to see if someone spots them or not. Stealth itself would still be for sneaking closer to enemies or luring them etc.

Edited by VioNectro

Pretty much the same as BG/IWD.. You have to actively search for traps. It feels rather normal to me. I always use my rogue for scouting areas anyway. At least in this game you can sneak and search for traps at the same time.