PoE - Sales figures STEAM

It's really depressing how many people on this forum are saying they wouldn't fund a second kickstarter or buy future Obsidian products all because of a few lines of text being changed (by the original author, no less). 

You obviously have no idea how offensive this is to people with a more conservative political orientation. The left is dictating too much in this so called "democratic" society. 

Obsidian's customers aren't all American, buddy; sexual orientation and gender identity and expression are protected characteristics where I live.

• Like 7

PoE isn't even in the top 10 best sellers right now. I remember D:OS was in the top 3 for about a month? Maybe people got their fill with D:OS or maybe it was just an unfortunate time to release PoE with so many AAA titles hitting the market.

If i remember correctly D:OS was released during the summer holidays and there was basically no competition, so total sales might be a better comparison. Also like you said, several AAA titles are currently released/about to be released: GTA5, Bloodbourne, The Witcher 3 are just the ones on my personal list.

Exactly. Sales figures will be comparable after a couple of months... But D:OS may also just have a larger audience (among the gamers who don't regularly play cRPGs), even though PoE's overall "quality" is arguably higher.

PoE isn't even in the top 10 best sellers right now. I remember D:OS was in the top 3 for about a month? Maybe people got their fill with D:OS or maybe it was just an unfortunate time to release PoE with so many AAA titles hitting the market.

Personally I feel like PoE might be saddled with a notion of mediocrity and the $45 price tag isn't helping matters. D:OS had a grand coop experience and an acclaimed, innovative combat system. PoE, while praised by most media outlets as an excellent game, offers a solid single player experience but little else. This can be found all over the place and a lot cheaper to boot.

I'm glad they have the sales they do and I hope it's enough to warrant future PoE content. A sale will definitely raise those numbers quite a bit but, unfortunately, I think it's going to have to happen a lot sooner than it did for D:OS.

I think it's important to note that Divinity: Original Sin was released relatively bug-free. I sunk 120 hours into the game in the two months from release and cannot recall encountering a single bug. I could, and indeed, have recommended D:OS to friends before they Larian had gotten around to releasing any patches, whereas I am still waiting for 1.04 to restart my PioE playthrough.

As one of  Larian's founders pointed out during his GDC talk, they've experienced firsthand that a buggy release can seriously hurt sales. Whether PioE's sales are more affected by the state of its release, sparse marketing or complexity/obscurity of its combat mechanics remains to be seen.

Here is Larian's GDC talk if anyone is interested: http://www.gdcvault.com/play/1021934/Divinity-Original-Sin-Postmortem-Success

I hope Obsidian will do a postmortem for PioE at some point. It would be interesting to hear their experiences once the post-release stress has cleared.

Edited by Concordance

I think it's important to note that Divinity: Original Sin was released relatively bug-free.

Almost every single review I saw on PoE applauded it for being surprisingly bug-free. While quite a few people encountered severe bugs, I don't think the support forum threads have as high of an impact on sales as reviews do...

Whether PioE's sales are more affected by the state of its release, sparse marketing or complexity/obscurity of its combat mechanics remains to be seen.

You make it sound as if PoE wasn't selling well or living up to its expectations in terms of sales. I don't see why that would be the case (at least Paradox definitely doesn't think so)

Edited by vilverin

"For me its more annoying, the reality is its a game that offers massive entertainment value."

You do realzie that even with the removal of the limerick this game is still filled up with everything youa re supoosedly standing against? Sexism, racism,  and a host of other nasty un PC things. Women are called bitches, racism is  praised, raping, spousal abuse, child murder for ****s and giggles, etc., etc. Some of this stuff is also included in other backer material. LMAO

• Like 1

DWARVES IN PROJECT ETERNITY = VOLOURN HAS PLEDGED $250.

It's really depressing how many people on this forum are saying they wouldn't fund a second kickstarter or buy future Obsidian products all because of a few lines of text being changed (by the original author, no less). 

You obviously have no idea how offensive this is to people with a more conservative political orientation. The left is dictating too much in this so called "democratic" society. 

Obsidian's customers aren't all American, buddy; sexual orientation and gender identity and expression are protected characteristics where I live.

I'm not Murican either. I come from one of the most liberal states in EU. People don't like gays for that one reason, they just can't stop getting in your face. Also, they are heavily aligned with the far left including communist sympathizers. 

Here's the thing buddy. People will always find something political to harp about. That's their right of freedom of expression (in many states at least). That doesn't mean Obsidian have an obligation to listen. Removing the joke just empowers these crazed militant groups. 

Also, have you thought about the correlation between these vile "advocates" and how they have absolutely no qualms about ridiculing the Lord Jesus Christ? Hypocrisy at the finest. 

• Like 1

I'm not Murican either. I come from one of the most liberal states in EU. People don't like gays for that one reason, they just can't stop getting in your face. Also, they are heavily aligned with the far left including communist sympathizers. 

Here's the thing buddy. People will always find something political to harp about. That's their right of freedom of expression (in many states at least). That doesn't mean Obsidian have an obligation to listen. Removing the joke just empowers these crazed militant groups. 

Also, have you thought about the correlation between these vile "advocates" and how they have absolutely no qualms about ridiculing the Lord Jesus Christ? Hypocrisy at the finest. 

...wow.  Yeah, okay, I think I know exactly the sort of political groups in the EU you'd align yourself with, and I don't see a ton of point in continuing this conversation.

• Like 4

You know posting like that you are alienating the only group that can help you in your "battle", becasue there are many in the LGBT community who are right wing libertarians who hate SJW and everything they stand for. Who know you may even lose support from straight males too, talking like that.

Edited by Vadász
  • Like 1

You know posting like that you are alienating the only group that can help you in your "battle", becasue there are many in the LGBT community who are right wing libertarians who hate SJW and everything they stand for. Who know you may even lose support from straight males too, talking like that.

Hrmm.  I'm a straight male right wing libertarian and i thought his post was dead one.  He is particularly accurate about the cognitive dissonance displayed in these groups.  He gave a great example in how they have no problem railing on religion, christianity, etc.   They also love to talk about tolerance and acceptance, but that only means tolerance and acceptance for groups they've decided are "acceptable".  They like to say they're for freedom of speech and expression, but again, only speech and expression they have decided is "right" or "good".  Its a complete farce.  The only people he is alienating are people incapacble of logical and rational thought. Which sadly has a stronghold in both the far left and the far right.

• Like 1

Why does this SJW / limerick nonsense have to make its way into every thread.  Isn't there enough of these threads dedicated to this discussion on this forum.  I just want to know how well this game is selling, but here it is the same old tired arguments thrown around from both sides yet again. GO back into the threads dedicated to the subject and let those interested in this game's success  discuss sales numbers in this thread.  Thank you.

• Like 3

Why does this SJW / limerick nonsense have to make its way into every thread.  Isn't there enough of these threads dedicated to this discussion on this forum.  I just want to know how well this game is selling, but here it is the same old tired arguments thrown around from both sides yet again. GO back into the threads dedicated to the subject and let those interested in this game's success  discuss sales numbers in this thread.  Thank you.

Because people are sick of them. Anyway, PoE is still in the top Ten on Steam, that includes a new BIG release and a big sale on south park and some youtube deal with gtaV maybe, so far it´s doing goog. I would say let Obsidian come out when they are ready to say the sales and what they can do with money. Speculating is fun, but also pointless :D

"A reader lives a thousand lives before he dies, the man who never reads lives one."

Why does this SJW / limerick nonsense have to make its way into every thread.

Yes, I would really like to see one clearly marked dedicated thread with active modding elsewhere. Because I really never want to read about this **** again.

Also, it's not a limerick.

• Like 4

DID YOU KNOW: *Missing String*

"For me its more annoying, the reality is its a game that offers massive entertainment value."

You do realzie that even with the removal of the limerick this game is still filled up with everything youa re supoosedly standing against? Sexism, racism,  and a host of other nasty un PC things. Women are called bitches, racism is  praised, raping, spousal abuse, child murder for ****s and giggles, etc., etc. Some of this stuff is also included in other backer material. LMAO

Good points raised Volo, you shouldn't play PoE at all...I'll give you regular updates around  my experience  :biggrin:

"Abashed the devil stood and felt how awful goodness is and saw Virtue in her shape how lovely: and pined his loss”

John Milton 

"We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing.” -  George Bernard Shaw

"What counts in life is not the mere fact that we have lived. It is what difference we have made to the lives of others that will determine the significance of the life we lead" - Nelson Mandela

Hypothetically, if POE 2 doesn't require a kickstarter, they should start one anyways and gather $50,000.00 extra to use towards voice acting the ENTIRE game, every single line of dialogue.

Costs waaaay more than this, and makes game development MUCH more restrictive. Any dialogue changes require voice acting?

PoE isn't the game that's going to blow millions and millions of dollars on voice acting. I encourage you to get used to reading or find a different game.

• Like 1

"Now to find a home for my other staff."
My Project Eternity Interview with Adam Brennecke

Hypothetically, if POE 2 doesn't require a kickstarter, they should start one anyways and gather $50,000.00 extra to use towards voice acting the ENTIRE game, every single line of dialogue.

Try a few hundred thousand.

I encourage you to get used to reading or find a different game.

I enjoy reading, but I also enjoy fully voiced games.

Edited by Bryy

Because people are sick of them. Anyway, PoE is still in the top Ten on Steam, that includes a new BIG release and a big sale on south park and some youtube deal with gtaV maybe, so far it´s doing goog. I would say let Obsidian come out when they are ready to say the sales and what they can do with money. Speculating is fun, but also pointless :D

If you are sick of people who care about social justice, you should probably stop supporting Obsidian and their products, as they in fact do care about such things. Don't worry thought, I will buy an extra copy of their games because I do think it is important.

• Like 2

If you are sick of people who care about social justice, you should probably stop supporting Obsidian and their products, as they in fact do care about such things. Don't worry thought, I will buy an extra copy of their games because I do think it is important.

QFT

I am also not sick of SJ discussions and I still care very much about them....people just make a mountain out of molehill when it comes to most SJ causes

You guys have no idea how long I have actively been involved in supporting various SJ causes and most of the time the outrage and venting opposed to SJ endeavors  is just not warranted or is completely exaggerated :)

Its like a knee-jerk reaction  

• Like 1

"Abashed the devil stood and felt how awful goodness is and saw Virtue in her shape how lovely: and pined his loss”

John Milton 

"We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing.” -  George Bernard Shaw

"What counts in life is not the mere fact that we have lived. It is what difference we have made to the lives of others that will determine the significance of the life we lead" - Nelson Mandela

Because Social Justice Warriors are poison, a cancer that never goes away. The best you can hope for is remission. It's like a cloud of diseased spores that worms it's way into every nook and cranny, looking for something to be offended by and attack; like a virus turning the own body against itself, or a fungus that corrupts and rots the brain until the organism climbs up high and kills itself.

Edited by Luckmann
  • Like 6

t50aJUd.jpg

Because Social Justice Warriors are poison, a cancer that never goes away. The best you can hope for is remission. It's like a cloud of diseased spores that worms it's way into every nook and cranny, looking for something to be offended by and attack; like a virus turning the own body against itself, or a fungus that corrupts and rots the brain until the organism climbs up high and kills itself.

This is so much hyperbole other hyperboles ask it for candy money.

• Like 3

This is so much hyperbole other hyperboles ask it for candy money.

It's not hyperbole, it's figurative. Pick up a book once in a while, Bryy.

t50aJUd.jpg