PoE - Sales figures STEAM

Would anyone actually mind if they funded a second game with KS? It keeps them able to avoid the bureaucratic nightmare of an oppressive publisher, I'm all for it.

Although I've mentioned a dislike of kickstarter on other posts, I wouldn't mind - as long as it's on the understanding we give our money so the designers and developers can achieve their vision without compromise - and not so we get to insert loads of annoying personalised content (mentioning no examples, of course). I'm paying the developers NOT other contributors.

• Like 1

I like to think PC bothered with 3 or 4 of them and thought "oh that's interesting...", then noticed they were everywhere and just ignored them, because he couldn't be bothered. His companions notice he glimpses at people that are not there once in a while and sometimes he has to ask if the others sees them as well, but he doesn't do his thing unless it's relevant to the progression.

What I'm saying is that I don't mind so much because ignoring them makes a lot of sense... Though I would like them to be gone in a sequel.

(Is this too spoiler-y?)

Hypothetically, if POE 2 doesn't require a kickstarter, they should start one anyways and gather $50,000.00 extra to use towards voice acting the ENTIRE game, every single line of dialogue.

KS cares very little for full VO game. Actually most don't want it because it almost always means less overall conversation in the game. I would rather see a KS that gives us 2x those interactive adventures and have them all voiced with a cool DM/narrator kind of a voice.

Hypothetically, if POE 2 doesn't require a kickstarter, they should start one anyways and gather $50,000.00 extra to use towards voice acting the ENTIRE game, every single line of dialogue.

KS cares very little for full VO game. Actually most don't want it because it almost always means less overall conversation in the game. I would rather see a KS that gives us 2x those interactive adventures and have them all voiced with a cool DM/narrator kind of a voice.

Voice acting costs many, many multiples more than 50k, otherwise everybody would do it.

It's not a good use of money.

• Like 3

Voice acting costs many, many multiples more than 50k, otherwise everybody would do it.

It's not a good use of money.

As far as I know, voice over rates wary wildly depending on the experience of the actor. (Semi)-amateurs often work for pittance (~40-50 bucks for hour) and others charge same for each minute with a minimum charge for short commissions like ads. And this does not mean that the cheap guy is bad, everybodys gotta start somewhere. But vetting for good actors for the roles also takes time and thus money and so someone with more known quality is a safer bet.

Edited by Zorfab

I am too very disappointed in the whole censorship thing. I honestly don't care if a PoE 2 gets made. I think Obsidian screwed up too much such as the no combat xp, the low character levels and obviously catering to femen terrorists. 

I am too very disappointed in the whole censorship thing. I honestly don't care if a PoE 2 gets made. I think Obsidian screwed up too much such as the no combat xp, the low character levels and obviously catering to femen terrorists. 

I am so disappointed in the idiots using trivial things as an excuse to troll the forums of a great game. Can we patch those out next game?

• Like 19

It is said that Steam holds ~80% of all digital sales for PC Gaming, GoG basically confirmed this with Witcher 2 shortly after release of that game.  Assuming that Steamspy is somewhat accurate, this would put total digital sales around 321,000 +/- 27,000

But only if it happens to all games, and that is really unlikely.

Some games earn 25% on Gog, some other only 18%.

Thats why i asked how many copys at GoG PoE sold.

would be a better guess than taking the random number which meant all the games sold on GoG and Steam.

I didnt know about Steamspy. Thanks for the tip, it is such an interesting website.

PoE hasnt done as well as I had hoped, especially after a chorus of rave reviews.

At only around 300k sales despite all the publicity, we simply have to admit that this kind of RPG has a very niche market.

On the censorship:

I am disappointed with the behaviour of many members of the forum instead.

Obsidian was put in a very difficult position and they did the only thing they could do.

As a medium sized game developer, Obsidian does not have the freedom that a small indie has. You'd think this would be very obvious. 

Edited by Iankas
  • Like 6

What so good about PoE is that it spark a new Fantasy world setting with it's own mechanic, with Eora that we seeing now is only Dyrwood. It is but a beast still at infant stage or yet dormant. If we seeing more games, expansions, table tops and and card games from it, probably Obsidian is the modern of WotC in the making..

It's nice to see that moral/ethic justice warriors are expressing their demands in nearly every single topic that gives even lightest excuse that Obsidian should be forced to put content in their game that they don't want to have there because they are so against censorship. And it's not censorship to demand content that artist don't want in their products but only ensuring that artist don't forgot add official message from ruling party in their products that is as far censorship as something can be.

For the topic itself, I was hoping bit better initial sales but number from Steamspy seem solid enough to ensure that PoE's tale will continue in future.

Edited by Elerond
  • Like 2

Just out of curiosity however. If you are a straight man and you end up in bed with someone who has a **** when you thought otherwise and you are upset with the experience, this is considered some kind of bigotry these days yes?

EDIT: The P word is censored, really?

I'm surprised by all the fuss as well. Isn't this kind of hypothetical situation every straight man's worst nightmare, and funny to hear when it happens to someone else? I fully support lgbt rights, but this whole situation feels like people wanting to get upset about something rather than having a valid reason for it. That said, I think Obsidian handled the case very maturely by discussing a change with the backer who contributed to the memorial.

I like the term homophobia. Phobia = fear. Someone who hates gays (I don't) likely doesn't 'fear' gays. They hate them. That's wrong but not a phobia. LMAO

Then again, I know lots of people who are victims of freedomphobia. :p

Anyways, if I were in that situation, I'd feel shame that i was so drunk I couldn't tell I was having sex with someone who had the same sexual organ as me. That's something I hope I always notice. L0L And, if the person purposefully misled me that person should also be shamed of being a lying deceiteful piece of crap.

\I would never kill myself. Then again, I think people who commit suicide are 90% likely to be simply cowards so the person in that limerick who I disapprove most is the coward who killed himself b/c an emo crybaby.

DWARVES IN PROJECT ETERNITY = VOLOURN HAS PLEDGED $250.

Does it really need to have huge post-Kickstarter sales, though ? The point of Kickstarter is the game is funded before sales come in. This is assuming that 100% of costs were funded by Kickstarter, of course. Anything on top of that is a bonus.

It does for Obsidian, they wanted to use this KS and game to finally get rid of publishers and their rules.

Do they also want to get rid of Kickstarter, and become self-published ? Because it's safe to say they can fund next PoE-like game with another Kickstarter.

Someone who hates gays (I don't) likely doesn't 'fear' gays. They hate them. That's wrong but not a phobia. LMAO

No. I hate your stupidity but I don't fear it.

Fear leads to anger, and anger leads to hate. That's one degree of separation; this is dark side 101 here, come on.

• Like 3

"Forsooth, methinks you are no ordinary talking chicken!"

-Protagonist, Baldur's Gate

"A meaningless poem was willingly changed by a backer, and now Obsidian is dead to me.  I need therapy."

• Like 4