PoE - Sales figures STEAM

Also you can turn off Steam's autopatching and put it into offline mode if this is a concern for you.

Not really a valid option is it? Forcing people to go into offline mode (Negating the use of the social aspect of Steam) in order for games not to patch is just silly. I don't know when or why Valve removed the option to not apply a patch, but it was a silly, silly change. 

It astounds me, however, that the people saying it was only removed because of shrill SJW whining are the ones generating thread after thread about it (seriously, you should have seen the Steam forums two days ago), and hijacking other threads to cry about it.

Whereas I'm not surprised in the slightest.

Amused, certainly, but not surprised at all.

• Like 3

"Lulz is not the highest aspiration of art and mankind, no matter what the Encyclopedia Dramatica says."

Those sales are great, especially given how many people got a copy 'for free' by backing the game through Kickstarter. 

I don't know how scientific this is, but according to Steam 17.2% of players have the "Kickstarter Backer" achievement -- so we are a sizable minority of the game's Steam audience, but still a minority.

DID YOU KNOW: *Missing String*

Also you can turn off Steam's autopatching and put it into offline mode if this is a concern for you.

Not really a valid option is it? Forcing people to go into offline mode (Negating the use of the social aspect of Steam) in order for games not to patch is just silly. I don't know when or why Valve removed the option to not apply a patch, but it was a silly, silly change. 

No, I agree, it's one of the big downsides of Steam.  It's also something you probably know about after buying a game or two with them, and thus are willingly opting into by choosing them over GOG.

Unfortunately people forget that they have set their games to not apply patches and then get irate thinking bugs havn't been fixed when they have - start creating irate forum threads and support tickets blaming the devs etc.  It can become a huge hassle for the devs and Valve so I can see why they would change it back

What a some independent devs do now is to release their patches first to test as an open beta - people who don't mind testing them out then opt into the beta program for the game (in the steam client, right click on the game, select properties, select beta tab, opt into beta), and if the patch breaks something significant the gamer can opt out again and go back to the pre-patched version. 

• Like 1

"It astounds me, however, that the people saying it was only removed because of shrill SJW whining are the ones generating thread after thread about it (seriously, you should have seen the Steam forums two days ago), and hijacking other threads to cry about it."

Not surprising that at all. Most of the SJWs whining about it don't even post on this forum or play Obsidian games so of course they don't make multiple threads. Also, they also WON. On to the next thing to complain about. L0L

• Like 1

DWARVES IN PROJECT ETERNITY = VOLOURN HAS PLEDGED $250.

Not surprising that at all. Most of the SJWs whining about it don't even post on this forum or play Obsidian games so of course they don't make multiple threads. Also, they also WON. On to the next thing to complain about. L0L

So what you're saying is that SJWs don't come to the places I hang out and bother me, so I should hate them?

Curious about the subraces in Pillars of Eternity? Check out 

Stop counting Obsidian's money and cross fingers game will be "succesfull enough" to make them release either DLC or sequel soon.

An expansion is already guaranteed as it was a backer option, and Paradox have mentioned there will be a sequel.

Paradox are a great company, they make and support lots of amazing games.

God, this thread is trolling me so hard.

I'm actually curious to know what the sales figures are, so every time some twit bumps the thread to whine about the dirty quatrain (it's not a limerick!), I get suckered into clicking by the optimistic hope that there's some on-topic information being posted.

And I suppose I'm now doing the same thing to someone else with this content-free post!

DID YOU KNOW: *Missing String*

Only real way to know how well the game has done so far is to wait for Obsidian or Paradox to make an annonucement with the sales numbers. 

So far we know from what Paradox has announced that the game has been doing well, relatively speaking of course. 

Edited by ChipMHazard

I truly wish I had waited to buy this. Instead, I was so excited that I decided to pre-order, and then Obsidian had to reveal their true face of censorship by censoring the you know what poem. Now I have a game that I bought but will never play...serves me right for not waiting. That's why the smart people wait, not only do they get it for less, but they can also avoid situations like this.

I'm not commenting on the politics of any particular discussion, but if you think a third party created an injustice, don't let them create another one by denying you the enjoyment of the game on top of it. Whatever politics abound, it's still a game, you own it, and it would be a shame if you let someone else deprive you of its use. I know tempers are running hot on this issue, but I just hope you reconsider and at least give the game a shot. Hell, even if you really love it, I'm not saying come back and praise the game. Keep complaining if you want, but at least get the use of the product you've purchased. :Cant's Dutch uncle icon:

It wasn't a third party that created the "injustice" though. It was Obsidian, who decided, to pursue a policy of censorship and displayed themselves as anti-free speech. It feels wrong for me that my money has gone to a company, whose values, are entirely against my own. I am a strong proponent and believer in free speech and dislike censorship, which is a polar opposite to the values Obsidian displayed in this situation. It feels wrong for me to play a game, knowing that it was produced by a developer who does not believe in the right of free speech and easily caves in to special interests just to make a quick buck.

Anti-Free Speech?

It's THEIR game.

• Like 1

I really hope that sequel will be Kickstarted despite those sales. I really don't understand people who don't won't it. It would be great to have some influence on the game and it would be grate to have it for 50% on the launch.

• Like 1

"Go where the others have gone, to the tenebrous limit

for the golden fleece of void, your ultimate prize

go upright among those who are on their knees

among those turning their backs on and those fallen to dust"

Zbigniew Herbert, Message of Mr. Cogito

I really hope that sequel will be Kickstarted despite those sales. I really don't understand people who don't won't it. It would be great to have some influence on the game and it would be grate to have it for 50% on the launch.

And without Kickstarter there won't be backer NPCs and limericks!

And without Kickstarter there won't be backer NPCs and limericks!

Or any Obsidian at all, according to the Documentary. I can take ignoring people with gold nameplates and not clicking on memorials to put up with that (I stopped bothering after finding that gamebanshee.com one. It was breaking my immersion too much to continue reading them after that).

Those sales are great, especially given how many people got a copy 'for free' by backing the game through Kickstarter. 

I don't know how scientific this is, but according to Steam 17.2% of players have the "Kickstarter Backer" achievement -- so we are a sizable minority of the game's Steam audience, but still a minority.

I remember checking it early on... first day of release or the day after? Something like that, and I think it was something like 22% with the Kickstarter achievement early on, so new buyers are certainly streaming in and slowly reducing that number.

Edited by Avantre
  • Like 1

So, is there any word on Sales at GoG?

I mean it's still the topseller 1 1/2 week, and the pricier editions are again on rank 3 + 4.

Is there a site like steamspy or was anything official said?

Of course, GoG will not add that much revenue then steam does, but it seems that there will be also

some good revenue coming from GoG.

Would be nice to know.

Edited by Godfather101

Does it really need to have huge post-Kickstarter sales, though ? The point of Kickstarter is the game is funded before sales come in. This is assuming that 100% of costs were funded by Kickstarter, of course. Anything on top of that is a bonus.

It does for Obsidian, they wanted to use this KS and game to finally get rid of publishers and their rules.
  • Like 1

I still cringe when realizing we almost had an Alien RPG.

Hopefully the sales are good and we won't need to hear about those things any longer :)

Though I'd love to see another Kickstarter to be sure anyway.

Does it really need to have huge post-Kickstarter sales, though ? The point of Kickstarter is the game is funded before sales come in. This is assuming that 100% of costs were funded by Kickstarter, of course. Anything on top of that is a bonus.

It does for Obsidian, they wanted to use this KS and game to finally get rid of publishers and their rules.

They would have to sell to super duper level to get rid of them for all their future titles. KS is good for ideas that publishers are too picky about. But to fund PoE 2 without punlishers or KS again, they would need good sales of PoE beyond the KS backers. Very good sales?

Tanks, cards... those seem fine for traditional model of being paid by big guys. Maybe cRPGs have a comeback to the mainstream... with all the risks of watering-down/streamlining involved by the big bucks.

So, is there any word on Sales at GoG?

I mean it's still the topseller 1 1/2 week, and the pricier editions are again on rank 3 + 4.

Is there a site like steamspy or was anything official said?

Of course, GoG will not add that much revenue then steam does, but it seems that there will be also

some good revenue coming from GoG.

Would be nice to know.

It is said that Steam holds ~80% of all digital sales for PC Gaming, GoG basically confirmed this with Witcher 2 shortly after release of that game.  Assuming that Steamspy is somewhat accurate, this would put total digital sales around 321,000 +/- 27,000

Hypothetically, if POE 2 doesn't require a kickstarter, they should start one anyways and gather $50,000.00 extra to use towards voice acting the ENTIRE game, every single line of dialogue.

Having trouble with the games combat on POTD, Trial of Iron?

- Hurtin bomb droppin MONK - [MONK BUILD] - [CLICK HERE]

- Think Rangers suck? You're wrong - [RANGER BUILD] + Tactics/Strategies - [CLICK HERE]

- Fighter Heavy Tank - [FIGHTER BUILD] + Tactics/Strategies - [CLICK HERE]

Despite what I may post, I'm a huge fan of Pillars of Eternity, it's one of my favorite RPG's.

Anita Sarkeesian keeps Bioware's balls in a jar on her shelf.

Would anyone actually mind if they funded a second game with KS? It keeps them able to avoid the bureaucratic nightmare of an oppressive publisher and it is overall a superior economic model, I'm all for it.

Edited by Yenkaz
  • Like 2