PoE - Sales figures STEAM

Yet it's a completely optional patch.

It's autopatched, not optional.

How many times do I need to say this? It's Steam that does the autopatching, not Obsidian. Use GOG and you can choose yourself whether you install a patch.

Steam cant be responsible for what a developer includes in a patch. I'm not going to be buying this game again on GOG just to get an uncensored copy, which if what I think you're implying...that anyone who doesn't like censorship should just buy a second copy off GOG?

I never had this issue with another game, never seen another developer engage in this sort of blatant censorship.

With regards to your claim, then yes, it is entirely optional. Obsidian does not force you to use steam. You made that decision, so you live with the consequences of it. Oh, but you didn't forsee that this would be an issue? Tough. Caveat emptor. You should have been aware that you wouldn't necessarily like all possible official patches.  Now, you may still dislike Obsidian, and feel the need to express this. But that is a seperate issue. This one is on you bud'

You're simply not going to look at this in context are you?  Not only that but you ignore the fact that it does not change the game drastically like you say it does (unless all you did in the game was sit and read that memorial text over and over and over), you ignore the fact that this is Obsidians game anyway so they choose what goes in, and you have never acknowledged that the backer in question (firedorn) agreed to have this changed anyway, and was given the choice. 

Edited by Excalibur_2102
  • Like 1

I don't like it how much power the oversensitive whiny outrage brigade has these days.

Spoiler: much less than the people who unironically use the term "oversensitive whiny outrage brigade" like to think.

• Like 1

"Lulz is not the highest aspiration of art and mankind, no matter what the Encyclopedia Dramatica says."

Yet it's a completely optional patch.

It's autopatched, not optional.

How many times do I need to say this? It's Steam that does the autopatching, not Obsidian. Use GOG and you can choose yourself whether you install a patch.

Steam cant be responsible for what a developer includes in a patch. I'm not going to be buying this game again on GOG just to get an uncensored copy, which if what I think you're implying...that anyone who doesn't like censorship should just buy a second copy off GOG?

I never had this issue with another game, never seen another developer engage in this sort of blatant censorship.

With regards to your claim, then yes, it is entirely optional. Obsidian does not force you to use steam. You made that decision, so you live with the consequences of it. Oh, but you didn't forsee that this would be an issue? Tough. Caveat emptor. You should have been aware that you wouldn't necessarily like all possible official patches.  Now, you may still dislike Obsidian, and feel the need to express this. But that is a seperate issue. This one is on you bud'

It doesn't matter. I don't even want to own an Obsidian product after finding out what their stance on free speech is and that they are driven strictly by money and support censorship as long as they can make a buck from it. It feels disgusting playing a game knowing it's made by such a studo. It's like if you found out your favorite actress was secretly a neo nazi, wouldn't you want to get your money back that you spent on her movies?

Its not Steam that got my money, it's Obsidian. Now my money is being used to supress speech and support censorship.

Essentially nobody cares about the limerick, I suspect. Both sides are just looking for every tiny chance they get to call someone else terrible people.

Summed up the entire GG vs anti-GG movement very well.

I'm happy that the game is, apparently, doing well. As much as I also like Bioware games, I want titles like Pillars to exist too. The game was great, it deserves recognition and the devs deserve return on their great work. 

• Like 1

You're simply not going to look at this in context are you?  Not only that but you ignore the fact that it does not change the game drastically like you say it does (unless all you did in the game was sit and read that memorial text over and over and over), you ignore the fact that this is Obsidians game anyway so they choose what goes in, and you have never acknowledged that the backer in question (firedorn) agreed to have this changed anyway, and was given the choice. 

Oh, I'm sure he did it all on his own. It's not like Obsidian would've kept the text in the game if he said no. They would've just deleted it altogether without having him rewrite it.

Oh, I'm sure he did it all on his own. It's not like Obsidian would've kept the text in the game if he said no. They would've just deleted it altogether without having him rewrite it.

Speculation. Beyond that, they already said that they failed to spot it originally, and that it wouldn't have been in the game, had they caught it originally.

Honestly, I just want my money back. The product I received is different from what I purchased, and I don't want my money going to support a studio with such immoral values.

"If we caught it originally, we would've removed it" is speculation too, of course, Obsidian would backtrack and make excuses to please their masters. For all we know, they saw, and liked it, but once they saw that it could cut into their profits, they pulled the plug.

Honestly, I just want my money back. The product I received is different from what I purchased, and I don't want my money going to support a studio with such immoral values.

"If we caught it originally, we would've removed it" is speculation too, of course, Obsidian would backtrack and make excuses to please their masters. For all we know, they saw, and liked it, but once they saw that it could cut into their profits, they pulled the plug.

No, it's not speculation. They said so in one of the last two backer emails. But of course, if you distrust everything about them, which I suspect, no evidence could convince you otherwise with regards to this silly issue.

• Like 2

Thought youd come out with that one.  But the fact is we dont know what Obsidian would have done had he said no, which he didnt.  So that point is moot.  Have you actually asked Obsidian to give you your money back by the way?  You never know.  

Edited by Excalibur_2102

Thought youd come out with that one.  But the fact is we dont know what Obsidian would have done had he said no, which he didnt.  So that point is moot.  Have you actually asked Obsidian to give you your money back by the way?  You never know.  

I did make a request for a refund or credit. Obsidian naturally, completely ignored my email. Big surprise...

1: You made an investment into a project. Even if failed, you have no right to demand your money back. Such are investments a calculated risk.

1: More than that, you invested in a game. A medium that in our day and age is subject to some flux because of constant updates. Does someone who wanted to play a character using guns also have a right to have their money back because they were nerfed slightly and now they're a little weaker?

2: As has been pointed out again and again. Naught but two extremely vocal minorities care about this. We get it, you now consider Obsidian the great Satan and hate it more than anything in the whole wide world. You won't buy another of their products. You will, however, spend hours raging about what brought this on.

I don't, and I suspect from the other comments, most people don't really care about it. Because this isn't such a big deal, even if you do disagree with either side. This is not a great injustice, it's a really tiny thing that is the vast majority of players will never even read.

Edit: Not sure you're backer or not.

Edited by Yenkaz

Just out of curiosity however. If you are a straight man and you end up in bed with someone who has a **** when you thought otherwise and you are upset with the experience, this is considered some kind of bigotry these days yes?

EDIT: The P word is censored, really?

I hope to god that the person who complained about this hasn't listened to Lola (the Kinks).

The explosion of righteous fury.

I did make a request for a refund or credit. Obsidian naturally, completely ignored my email. Big surprise...

You should ask for a refund on Steam, if you really want one. When you buy a product from a store and want a refund you go to the store, not the manufacturer.

If a company changing a product from what you purchased is, in all cases, a moral transgression in your perspective, then I frankly don't know if you can buy any PC games. Fixing typos, fixing bugs, rebalancing stats or abilities, optimizing graphics—any of these and more would fit your definition of changing the product you purchased. What if a missing NPC or item is added back in? What if a new quest is added?

Perhaps your objection is that content was removed and replaced. But what if a gun that was mis-categorized as a bow was fixed? One of the game's bows would've been removed and replaced with a gun. Would this fit your definition of a moral violation? What if an NPC was appearing in the wrong map? Fix that, and an NPC has been removed from a town. So that's out too. What freedom does Obsidian have to correct mistakes (in their judgment) in their product? Is the answer truly "none"?

I don't like it how much power the oversensitive whiny outrage brigade has these days.

Spoiler: much less than the people who unironically use the term "oversensitive whiny outrage brigade" like to think.

The fact that content gets changed on a regular basis these days because of them is enough for me not to like it.

The fact that content gets changed on a regular basis these days because of them is enough for me not to like it.

61014287.jpg

"Lulz is not the highest aspiration of art and mankind, no matter what the Encyclopedia Dramatica says."

So, I take it you never apply a patch to a game you bought.

Because, that would make the games different from what you purchased.

This whole memorial stone thing is much ado about nothing.

It astounds me, however, that the people saying it was only removed because of shrill SJW whining are the ones generating thread after thread about it (seriously, you should have seen the Steam forums two days ago), and hijacking other threads to cry about it.

• Like 5

Curious about the subraces in Pillars of Eternity? Check out 

This thread has gone all kinds of intersting places.

Those sales are great, especially given how many people got a copy 'for free' by backing the game through Kickstarter.  These are the kind of games that have long legs, and I can imagine with word of mouth and reviews this game breaking a million in sales this calendar year.  Even if it didn't, it has certainly done well enought to warrant a sequel.  Good news all around (save for weird tangents taking place in this thread). 

Btw, if someone would not tell me before ... I would kick him/her/IT out of the window too as he/she/it cheated me! So he/she/it should not be surprised by my reaction ;).

Well aren't you a psychopathic little misogynist.

No as long as they don't try to cheat me ;).

I strongly belive, that plastic surgery shouldn't be made just for fun (and to cheat man)! No problem after accidents, illness or other medical reasons. But NO to big plastic ****, libs or other fancy body parts!

And with this I'm more a feminist then a misogynist ;).

If I wake up in the morning, the woman next to me should look the same as when we go to sleep ;). And not suddenly 20kg less as the makeup disapeared (or a random plastic part explode).