PoE - Sales figures STEAM

Free speech people, would you be okay with including a neo-nazist manifesto and a detailed description of male genitalia as backer memorials?

Weird comparison to the actual issue at hand. Guy should have submitted lyrics from a certain Aerosmith song.

Good for Obsidian to make money off this, though.

Why has elegance found so little following? Elegance has the disadvantage that hard work is needed to achieve it and a good education to appreciate it. - Edsger Wybe Dijkstra

Why should the game I purchased be drastically changed just because some minority got offended over a harmless joke? 

Oh, come on.. "Drastically changed"??  It was a few lines on a memorial stone that has absolutely zero effect on gameplay.  This is obsidians game and it is, ultimately, up to them what gets put in it.  How is approaching the backer and saying "do you want to change what you put on on your memorial stone in light of whats happened?"  How is that unethical at all?  The backer then decided to change the tomb stone to something else of his choosing, without making a fuss at all, and in fact has defended obsidian about the choice, when it is he who has the most reason to be angry!

Youre also ignoring the fact that this is not a matter of free speech..  Everyone involved in this issue has had "free speech", including the SJWs who brought this up in the first place, the backer who changed it, and of course everyone who seems to think that it is a great injustice that it has been changed.

Everyone has had the right to voice their opinion, but the decision was made to change that "controversial" content.

Like I said, it should be an optional patch. Obsidian gave in to the SJW pressure just to make a few extra bucks. Removing text from a game isn't censorship? Interesting. I guess removing books from libraries in the USSR or Germany wasn't censorship either. After all, the government owns the libraries and get to dictate what's in them. Taking it up with steam is pointless, they will tell me to take it up with Obsidian because they are the developer who forced the change through.

Whatever. I hope Obsidian enjoys the $50 that they have STOLEN from me. I guess I learned a valuable lesson for those $50 - never back or pre-order a game unless you are 100% sure of the developers moral and ethical values.

And yes, it is comparable to messing up a house or a car. My computer is my property. The developer went into my property and changed something without my consent and made it drastically different and in my opinion, worse.

I don't like it how much power the oversensitive whiny outrage brigade has these days. But some people are just taking this to crazy town and it's no better than the radical crybabies from the other side. It's not a big deal. I don't agree with Obsidian if they felt it should be changed, I do understand however if they just didn't want to deal with the potential SJW hit pieces. But like I said, it does warrant the kind of reaction some people are having.

... I value freedom of speech, Obsidian detests it...

...I prefer to send my money to companies that value human rights, such as the right to free speech and expression...

... it's been modified without my consent, in a way, that no longer makes it enjoyable. I guess if someone broke into your house, destroyed everything, you wouldn't complain because hey, the house isn't burned down, so you can still live in it? It just looks a bit different...

Yes, you're a great moral crusader and Obsidian is evil incarnate because they changed one piece of text. Sure it's as bad as destroying someone's house.

Jesus Christ.

Changed one piece of text at the behest of one twitter user (I'm wading in late here, so I assume it's due to the moral outrage that one user expressed ?). 

That don't sit easy with me (not to the same extent as the poster above)

Free speech people, would you be okay with including a neo-nazist manifesto and a detailed description of male genitalia as backer memorials?

If it was worked into the game setting, I would see nothing wrong with it. The tombstone didn't say "KILL ALL TRANNIES", it was worked, cleverly, into the game world. If "Neo Nazi" was worked into the game as let's say, a racist faction, that had their own writings, I'd think that would make for a more interesting gameworld, even if I don't agree with content. To point that out in another game, notice how  the original "The Witcher" had a lot of racism and bigotry in the game, but it was well integrated into the game world and made it a lot more interesting and creative. That doesn't mean CD Project are racists or evil, it's just part of the game world.

Edited by Shargrath
  • Like 2

Steam patched it automatically

Why aren't you complaining about Steam then? In fact, how can a man with your sense of ethics buy anything from a company that patches stuff without you explicitly opting in? Smells like double standards...

I got my copy from GOG and neither it or Obsidian have forced me to patch anything, I did that voluntarily.

• Like 2

Why aren't you complaining about Steam then? In fact, how can a man with your sense of ethics buy anything from a company that patches stuff without you explicitly opting in? Smells like double standards...

I got my copy from GOG and neither it or Obsidian have forced me to patch anything, I did that voluntarily.

I use Steam because I can buy their prepaid cards with cash and don't have to give my credit card number or info to buy games. GOG needs a credit card.

Just out of curiosity however. If you are a straight man and you end up in bed with someone who has a **** when you thought otherwise and you are upset with the experience, this is considered some kind of bigotry these days yes?

EDIT: The P word is censored, really?

Edited by Fighter
  • Like 2

Too many good games came out in March +I believe this title is a sleeper hit.  I didn't even know about it before late last month and I  love Infinity Edge games.  I dismissed it as another bad indie remake and then saw a video review followed by a short twitch stream.  Wasteland 2 and Original Sin simply didn't have enough to pull me back in the way this did.

If it was worked into the game setting, I would see nothing wrong with it. The tombstone didn't say "KILL ALL TRANNIES", it was worked, cleverly, into the game world. If "Neo Nazi" was worked into the game as let's say, a racist faction, that had their own writings, I'd think that would make for a more interesting gameworld, even if I don't agree with content. To point that out in another game, notice how the original "The Witcher" had a lot of racism and bigotry in the game, but it was well integrated into the game world and made it a lot more interesting and creative. That doesn't mean CD Project are racists or evil, it's just part of the game world.

Sure, I had no problem at all with this memorial and I don't think its removal was necessary. However, throwing a fit about stifled creative freedom is ridiculous. It's Obsidian's game and ultimately it's their decision what texts fit into it. You want to have complete freedom, make your own game. The only person who could legitimately be outraged is the backer who wrote the memorial - all memorials should have been diligently scrutinized before releasing the game and that decision should have been final.
  • Like 1

I use Steam because I can buy their prepaid cards with cash and don't have to give my credit card number or info to buy games. GOG needs a credit card.

So basically you willingly use a service/buy games from a distributor that auto-patches games, don't turn off auto-patching, and complain about patches being forced on you.

Okay then.

• Like 1

In other words: you're ignoring your ethics for the sake of convenience. Buy stuff from stores where you can pay with cash.

I heard a dev on another board say if they got 250k or more they'd be a success. Looks like that happened :)

I'm around 50 hours in the game now. Well 10+ hours wasted due to restarting because of the earlier bugs. So far i'm very impressed with this game and i would rate it as a masterpiece and one of the best games of all time. 250K really a little low. I would hope that at least 500K. I mean come one DOS is almost 800K already.

Compared to DOS, sorry to say i love this game more than DOS. But i still like DOS for the TB but this is much more awesome compared to DOS. Of course this is just my opinion.

Edited by Archaven

In other words: you're ignoring your ethics for the sake of convenience. Buy stuff from stores where you can pay with cash.

I don't have any problems with buying things with a credit card, I just don't trust Steam's level of security. Nothing about convenience or ethics here. I don't mind Steam auto-updating my games, the problem is 100% with Obsidian for censoring their own game.

Yet it's a completely optional patch.

It's autopatched, not optional.

How many times do I need to say this? It's Steam that does the autopatching, not Obsidian. Use GOG and you can choose yourself whether you install a patch.

How many times do I need to say this? It's Steam that does the autopatching, not Obsidian. Use GOG and you can choose yourself whether you install a patch.

Don't try to reason with this guy, it would be like trying to reason with the SJW's.

• Like 3

Steam cant be responsible for what a developer includes in a patch. I'm not going to be buying this game again on GOG just to get an uncensored copy, which if what I think you're implying...that anyone who doesn't like censorship should just buy a second copy off GOG?

I never had this issue with another game, never seen another developer engage in this sort of blatant censorship.