PoE - Sales figures STEAM

The owner numbers are good in my opinion considering it has only been a bit more than 1 week since the game is out. And I bet many of KS backers decided for GoG as many older players don't like even Steam level of DRM.

Thing is, the game was actually cheaper elsewhere.Steam may only make up around 60% of sales.

I mean going to KS still isn't a bad idea, you get a nice cash infusion, and you get some folks behind you right from the start to spread "hype" about your game from day 1, and along the whole development process.  It's not a bad deal for the consumer either, since you get the game at a cut rate and a modicum of input during its development phase. 

I know I'm going to miss my KS updates from Obsidian :(

The owner numbers are good in my opinion considering it has only been a bit more than 1 week since the game is out. And I bet many of KS backers decided for GoG as many older players don't like even Steam level of DRM.

Thing is, the game was actually cheaper elsewhere.Steam may only make up around 60% of sales.

Today all games are cheaper "elsewhere" and people buy from those illegal sites. But we are talking about number of sales now , not $ earned.

I'd like to see it reach much higher sales, too. But keep in mind that the development costs were taken care of before PoE's release, so all sales on Steam and GoG are pure profit. Say those 226,422 sales sold for an average of $40 USD, that's about $9 million. After Steam's cut, that's $6.3 million to Obsidian. Multiply that figure by maybe 1.4 to count for GoG's sales, and that's a hypothetical $8.82 million.

There's also whatever Paradox's cut is to be deducted.

But consider that the employees of Obsidian are already paid from the pre-release fundraising. How many people does that hypothetical $8.82 million divide between? And for how many years of work? And sales will continue for a long time to come. It's probably a very nice payday for those involved.

I think a key point there is that the supposed total is higher than what they received from the Kickstarter campaign. That would make it a success in my book.

• Like 1

"It has just been discovered that research causes cancer in rats."

BG2 is more modern and popular than BG1, many people still had working copies.  BG1 by contrast is less compatible than modern hardware, so not as many people could replay it - opening up a bigger niche for BG1 Enhanced to occupy.  Of course, BG1 Enhanced being released first was also likely to slake people's thirst for Baldur's Gate.  I expect BG2 Enhanced to have a long tail, since it is far more future-proofed than the original version of BG2.

Can people just let this freaking thing go already? It's minor crap. Nobody cares......people probably should have just have just shut up about it in the first place and let it be but no apparently some people got butthurt and started creating words to whine about it so Obsidian discussed a change with the creator so it's done. It doesn't matter, nobody cares either way even if I would have preferred that Obsidian had said f___ political correctness we don't care how much you whine, this isn't about you so go take your butthurt elsewhere.

I don't have butthurt, I just don't see why Obsidian couldn't have made their position on speech and censorship clear before I wasted my $50 on their game. Now I have it sitting in my library and I can't play it because they forced an unethical game patch on me. If someone was offended, they could've created an optional patch for those people, not screw with my game. This is why I dislike digital distribution. Had it been a physical copy, I could've returned it or sold it, but on Steam I'm out of $50 and don't have a game I can play.

BGEE sold more than BG2EE? That's strange considering BG2 is the better game. 

I'm a big believer your second game in a series is a reflection of how well your first game in the end was received by the players.

Meaning you could sell gobs for the first one, get great reviews up front, but in the end the total score per player is known and if that dwindles downward enough, people won't buy the 2nd as much. And vice versa, if the second one does better, people loved the first.

In BGEE's case it was new to the scene, an enhanced version of the classic, hooray! If we frequent some forums, whenever EE is now brought up, people say go by the GOG version and mod it, cheaper and better. So what happened is people were not overly impressed with EE, in fact well underwhelmed. Hence less sales moving forward, fool me once.

• Like 1

Can people just let this freaking thing go already? It's minor crap. Nobody cares......people probably should have just have just shut up about it in the first place and let it be but no apparently some people got butthurt and started creating words to whine about it so Obsidian discussed a change with the creator so it's done. It doesn't matter, nobody cares either way even if I would have preferred that Obsidian had said f___ political correctness we don't care how much you whine, this isn't about you so go take your butthurt elsewhere.

I don't have butthurt, I just don't see why Obsidian couldn't have made their position on speech and censorship clear before I wasted my $50 on their game. Now I have it sitting in my library and I can't play it because they forced an unethical game patch on me. If someone was offended, they could've created an optional patch for those people, not screw with my game. This is why I dislike digital distribution. Had it been a physical copy, I could've returned it or sold it, but on Steam I'm out of $50 and don't have a game I can play.

For crying out loud, how many people actually read those things and the souls? Why is this such a huge deal?

• Like 2

For crying out loud, how many people actually read those things and the souls? Why is this such a huge deal?

It';s a huge deal because it's a matter of ethics.

Not only did they do an unethical action by going the path of censorship, but they also altered the product I purchased without giving me an option to decline on installing the patch, thereby, changing the game from what I originally bought to a new product.

I think you'd be upset too if $50 were simply stolen from you. I wish there was a way to delete the product name from my Steam game list, unfortunately, it's stuck there for good to remind me of the stupidity of having being a backer for this project.

It's a shame, I enjoyed the gameplay I got out of it before Obsidian revealed their true face and pulled the game from under my feet.

Anyway, Obsidian may have a small victory in that they have stolen my $50, but I'll never buy another product from them again.

1- There is a mod that puts the original limerick back into the game

2- I cannot believe something as petty as this actually prevented you from playing the game that you already paid for.  This makes you just as bad as those who were offended by something so petty.

3- Obsidian didn't do anything unethical.

• Like 6

First of all, you have an extremely incorrect view about what "free speech" is; that Constitutional right doesn't extend to private industries. Secondly, you also fail to understand the difference between "can't" and "won't." It's your own willful choice not to play the game, and that's fine, but you really should own up to it instead of laying the entirety of "woe is me" blame on Obsidian here. That's pathetic and implies you have no control over yourself, in which case, your opinion is moot.

The KS Collector's Edition does not include the Collector's Book.

Which game hook brought you to Project Eternity and interests you the most?

PE will not have co-op/multiplayer, console, or tablet support (sources): [0] [1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [6] [7]

Write your own romance mods because there won't be any in PE.

"But what is an evil? Is it like water or like a hedgehog or night or lumpy?" -(Digger)

"Most o' you wanderers are but a quarter moon away from lunacy at the best o' times." -Alvanhendar (Baldur's Gate 1)

It';s a huge deal because it's a matter of ethics.

Not only did they do an unethical action by going the path of censorship, but they also altered the product I purchased without giving me an option to decline on installing the patch, thereby, changing the game from what I originally bought to a new product.

I think you'd be upset too if $50 were simply stolen from you. I wish there was a way to delete the product name from my Steam game list, unfortunately, it's stuck there for good to remind me of the stupidity of having being a backer for this project.

It's a shame, I enjoyed the gameplay I got out of it before Obsidian revealed their true face and pulled the game from under my feet.

Anyway, Obsidian may have a small victory in that they have stolen my $50, but I'll never buy another product from them again.

Okay. If a single limerick that not read by the vast majority of gamers, which has absolutely no effect on the game and which the original author had no problems changing, is enough for you to consider the whole game ruined, I can't really argue with that degree of pettiness. If you're looking that hard for something to have a moral crusade against (not that I consider the other side any better), I suspect anything would do.

• Like 4

1- There is a mod that puts the original limerick back into the game

2- I cannot believe something as petty as this actually prevented you from playing the game that you already paid for.  This makes you just as bad as those who were offended by something so petty.

3- Obsidian didn't do anything unethical.

1. There are mods that can change any game to anything, that doesn't mean anything and doesn't change the fact that the game was developed by Obsidian, a developer who has displayed that they are firmly against the right of free speech and only care about the almighty dollar.

2. It's not petty, it's a matter of ethics and values. I appreciate free speech and I detest censorship. I don't want to support a company that does not support the right to free speech and will compromise their product just for the sake of getting a few extra buys. It feels disgusting to play a game by a company that is committed to doing unethical things. And yes, I believe that censorship is unethical because,

3. Obsidian did do something unethical. They censored content from a game by removing content that a loud minority found to be "offensive", despite there being absolutely nothing offensive in there just to placate those people and make a few extra bucks. This altered everybody else's product WITHOUT THEIR CONSENT, even the people who didn't find it "offensive". Why should the game I purchased be drastically changed just because some minority got offended over a harmless joke? Why can't I own the same product that I paid money for? The patch should've been optional, then there would have been no issue. If anything, after the patch was released, Obsidian should have given their backers like me, an option to get their money back.

First of all, you have an extremely incorrect view about what "free speech" is; that Constitutional right doesn't extend to private industries. Secondly, you also fail to understand the difference between "can't" and "won't." It's your own willful choice not to play the game, and that's fine, but you really should own up to it instead of laying the entirety of "woe is me" blame on Obsidian here. That's pathetic and implies you have no control over yourself, in which case, your opinion is moot.

Companies may not have the legal obligation to allow free speech, but that doesn't mean that I would like to support a company that is against free speech. Obsidian's ethical values are not in line with my own. I value freedom of speech, Obsidian detests it. That is enough for me to not want to support them. However, Obsidian did not make this position clear prior to me backing their development of the game, which is perfectly good reason to consider myself being scammed. And it's not my willful choice, because the game I purchased was drastically changed from what I purchased to what it is now WITHOUT MY CONSENT! Steam patched it automatically and I can't download an unpatched version. That wasn't my choice. When you buy a game, you choose to send your money to the developer, and I prefer to send my money to companies that value human rights, such as the right to free speech and expression.

Second, imagine if somebody broke into your sports car, because your next door neighbor found fast cars to be "Offensive because they cause crashes", and replaced the engine in the car to something that can't go faster than 10 miles an hour. Would you say the person whose car engine was replaced is being "pathetic" because they no longer consider their car to be useful? It's the same situation there. Yes, the game is technically "usable", but it's been modified without my consent, in a way, that no longer makes it enjoyable. I guess if someone broke into your house, destroyed everything, you wouldn't complain because hey, the house isn't burned down, so you can still live in it? It just looks a bit different.

the limerick

It's not a limerick!

You went straight from my throat,

I merely repeated the other guy's quote,

I apologize for my mistake,

but would like to pontificate,

It does not invalidate what I wrote.

Edited by Yenkaz
  • Like 4

... I value freedom of speech, Obsidian detests it...

...I prefer to send my money to companies that value human rights, such as the right to free speech and expression...

... it's been modified without my consent, in a way, that no longer makes it enjoyable. I guess if someone broke into your house, destroyed everything, you wouldn't complain because hey, the house isn't burned down, so you can still live in it? It just looks a bit different...

Yes, you're a great moral crusader and Obsidian is evil incarnate because they changed one piece of text. Sure it's as bad as destroying someone's house.

Jesus Christ.

Edited by Yenkaz
  • Like 4

Why should the game I purchased be drastically changed just because some minority got offended over a harmless joke? 

Oh, come on.. "Drastically changed"??  It was a few lines on a memorial stone that has absolutely zero effect on gameplay.  This is obsidians game and it is, ultimately, up to them what gets put in it.  How is approaching the backer and saying "do you want to change what you put on on your memorial stone in light of whats happened?"  How is that unethical at all?  The backer then decided to change the tomb stone to something else of his choosing, without making a fuss at all, and in fact has defended obsidian about the choice, when it is he who has the most reason to be angry!

Youre also ignoring the fact that this is not a matter of free speech..  Everyone involved in this issue has had "free speech", including the SJWs who brought this up in the first place, the backer who changed it, and of course everyone who seems to think that it is a great injustice that it has been changed.

Everyone has had the right to voice their opinion, but the decision was made to change that "controversial" content.

• Like 1