PoE - Sales figures STEAM

A this day Pillars Of Eternity is 226,422 sales on STEAM (and only this one, not GOG or other...).

For exemple Baldur's Gate EE is 442,798 and Baldur's Gate 2 EE is 224,876.
Other game : Divinity OS : 795,182  / Wasteland 2 : 410,342 

I know the game only come out but i hope that sales will increase, especially when I see BeamDog sales with basic "Enhanced Edition"... 

• Like 7

★ ★ ★ ★ ★ ★ ★ ★ ★ I ' M ★  ★ ★ ★ ★ ★ ★ ★ ★ ★ ★ ★ ★ ★ ★ ★ ★ ★ ★ ★ B L A C K S T A R   ★ ★ ★ ★ ★ ★ ★ ★ ★ ★ ★ ★ ★ ★ ★ ★ ★ ★ ★ ★ ★ ★ ★ ★ ★ ★ 

And you're point is what exactly?

BG games have been around for years, so the buzz around the EE's was already in place long before they were made.  Both been out for ages now, as well as D:OS.

PoE has been out for a week....

• Like 1

I do know. I just hope that the sales figures will increase. The game deserves to sell so it's good !

Actually I'm afraid there was not enough "communication" about the game, except in the circle of "fans". But maybe I'm wrong ...

Let's see in one month for exemple.  :w00t:  :bow:

Edited by BillyCorgan
  • Like 2

★ ★ ★ ★ ★ ★ ★ ★ ★ I ' M ★  ★ ★ ★ ★ ★ ★ ★ ★ ★ ★ ★ ★ ★ ★ ★ ★ ★ ★ ★ B L A C K S T A R   ★ ★ ★ ★ ★ ★ ★ ★ ★ ★ ★ ★ ★ ★ ★ ★ ★ ★ ★ ★ ★ ★ ★ ★ ★ ★ 

I'd like to see it reach much higher sales, too. But keep in mind that the development costs were taken care of before PoE's release, so all sales on Steam and GoG are pure profit. Say those 226,422 sales sold for an average of $40 USD, that's about $9 million. After Steam's cut, that's $6.3 million to Obsidian. Multiply that figure by maybe 1.4 to count for GoG's sales, and that's a hypothetical $8.82 million.

There's also whatever Paradox's cut is to be deducted.

But consider that the employees of Obsidian are already paid from the pre-release fundraising. How many people does that hypothetical $8.82 million divide between? And for how many years of work? And sales will continue for a long time to come. It's probably a very nice payday for those involved.

• Like 1

Not only paradox, theres also high taxes for that kind of profit.

So the profit will be lower than estimated.

Plus there are running expenses which we all not know (office rent, power etc etc).

And the Programmers are already working on that expansion.

And on patches.

Also, we do not know if the 4 Millionen  Dollar they got were enough to make Pillars.

Could be as at Inxile were they needed to put another 3 Millionen to the fuel to get the Game done.

But we'll see, perhaps we get some sale numbers at a time.

Would be interesting to know.

Edited by Godfather101
  • Like 2

To be honest, most people don't buy games until they fall fairly significantly in price. 

For example, let's pretend I didn't kickstart this game and thus get myself a copy 2 1/2 years ago. 

Divinity is 4$ cheaper, the EE's are 24ish$ cheaper, and WL2 is 4ish dollars cheaper.

However, all of the above games *have* gone through a steam-sale cycle and were fairly cheap during those times - which is, I assume, when most of the copies being sold happens.  You get your hardcore fans, and your nearly hardcore fans opening weekend, and then a few months down the road you hit a summer sale, and the game sells like hot cakes. 

The only thing I'd really criticize Paradox for is the way the game is packaged on steam.  The fact that the "base" game sells for 44ish$, but the royal edition for nearly 100$, would make me believe there is some sort of unholy DLC catastrophe going on behind those numbers, instead of you just missing out on some really cool books, the OST, and so forth. They should've made it: PE: Game Edition, PE: Scholar edition, and PE: Loremaster edition or something - I've already had to talk down a few friends who missed out on the KS who thought they were going to be stripped of major in game content somehow because of the price differential in editions. 

Edited by Gallenger
  • Like 2

That's very interesting! Where do you get these numbers from? Do you know if they include the sales of the boxed/DVD version (that are then activated through steam, but not sold through steam?)

As others have pointed out, these numbers are really quite high, considering it probably doesn't include backer sales, GOG sales, etc, and we're only 1 week in. I'm really glad it's doing so well  :yes:

Actually I'm afraid there was not enough "communication" about the game, except in the circle of "fans".

I think it got quite decent publicity - heck, there was even an article in the German "Handelsblatt" (our equivalent of the Financial Times). Quite funny too, said that the poor nerds would miss the beginning of spring because of the game...

• Like 1

When I looked some days back, PoE was the top selling game on both Steam and GOG, so presumably the sales numbers are continuing to increase at a good pace.

I hope it stays up there a <minsc>good long time</minsc>, in order to fund amazing sequels and enhancements to the underlying RPG system.

• Like 2

It got as much as BG2, I didn't expect that. Did you?

These numbers are only good news, especially given that this game didn't have any unique features to hype about like D: OS and Wasteland 2.

Derpdragon of the Obsidian Order

Derpdragons everywhere. I like spears.

No sleep for the Watcher... because he was busy playing Pillars of Eternity instead.

I truly wish I had waited to buy this. Instead, I was so excited that I decided to pre-order, and then Obsidian had to reveal their true face of censorship by censoring the you know what poem. Now I have a game that I bought but will never play...serves me right for not waiting. That's why the smart people wait, not only do they get it for less, but they can also avoid situations like this.

Someone mentioned and I think it is a fair question, how did you get those numbers? I don't question accuracy, they seem pretty accurate generally speaking, but Steam doesn't publish #'s.

226K that seems to be in line with D:OS after 1 week.

Also most of D:OS sold with zero sales, they were well over 500k before the first sale. In this case Sven at Larian did do some sales #'s updates with the base.

To be clear, it got as much as BG2 EE which was a re-release of BG2 many years after the original. The original BG2 sold over a million copies in the initial run and more than 2 million altogether.

Still, if those are the figures for PoE after the first week, then it's doing pretty well.

• Like 1

If it's the same profiling/API scaping technique Ars and SteamSpy use then it would include backers who used a Steam key. In terms of numbers, games get spikes on release and sales. Performance is not bad, considering that the game cost $4m, took 2.5 years, it's not bad. D: OS sold 160K copes in a week, according to SteamSpy PoE sold ~153K ± 25k (not factoring backers after KickStarter). PoE is more expensive, doesn't have multiplayer, and if reports are true that they started development after Divinity II, D: OS took 4 years to develop and cost €4.5.

Edited by AwesomeOcelot

To be clear, it got as much as BG2 EE which was a re-release of BG2 many years after the original. The original BG2 sold over a million copies in the initial run and more than 2 million altogether.

Still, if those are the figures for PoE after the first week, then it's doing pretty well.

Yes.

Derpdragon of the Obsidian Order

Derpdragons everywhere. I like spears.

No sleep for the Watcher... because he was busy playing Pillars of Eternity instead.

Where you get that figure? It seems pretty low to me. Game is really awesome for me though. Been enjoying it alot. Keep in mind i play all sorts of games.

If this is just sales, not total Steam copies owned, then remember that 77k people already got a copy by backing on Kickstarter. Also, it doesn't count any other sources, notably GOG. I think these are pretty good figures for this kind of game.

But yes, I'd love to know where this number comes from. Not doubting, just curious.

While i hope they'll make a huge buckload of money, i also hope they still also create another kickstarter for their next games. Really enjoyed the whole KS experience, getting updates and seeing the game change, with backer beta discussions influencing actual changes etc. really felt a lot better than just the usual PR bs you usually get to see during development.

• Like 3