Btw martial prowess adds another 24% attack speed via dex, along with awesome might and acc bonuses, you will be stuck with blights for the duration though. But 200% attack speed with up to 55 acc bonus on attacks and like 50% bonus damage from might ain't half bad.

I haven't really tried Wizard too much after 1.03. (Lore>Wizards now :( ) I originally beat PotD maining one.  

But, My favorite spec was straight up Chill Fog spam with the Cold Talent. Made me feel more than just a CC bot on the 3-4 hard fights.  The damage could impressively ramp up and provided constant and major debuffs.  At level 9 this obviously became even more hilarious and amazing.  Almost on par with the shenanigans other classes could pull off (And continue to pull off, because only nerf Wizards).

The blight spec does seems to be the best possible flat DPS for a Wizard.  But managing and maintaining it on my test adventurer are proving rather difficult.  Sometimes I can't chain pull or my party just blows stuff up too fast.  I would love a mod that made Blights per encounter or stay on after combat.

Edited by Parsong

Well, they would probably raise level cap in the upcoming expansion and blights will become per encounter at level 13  :devil:

Chill fog wasn't nerfed all that hard btw. If you have a pale elf tank he likely won't notice it.

Edited by MadDemiurg

I havnt tried the Fog build on my second play through with the new patch. I might get a Pale tank and load up on some frost resist gear.

Spamming that endlessly really just is crazy. My combat log ends up being "hit by Chill Fog" for miles.  Ive seen it crit for 30 which is impressive for rapid fire dot.

Also I wonder how that Bloody Slaughter would work with that build, considering you are hitting many times with low damage, allowing it to actually be pretty useful.

Edited by Parsong

By droping perception you have gimped your chars ability to interrupt with spells and attack... which incidently happens to be about the best thing the mage can do over a druid... max perception and rapidfire attacks that constantly reset interruption on targets freezing them from harming your tanks/damage dealers is about the best use of Deleterious Alacrity of Motion avoiding blights blast op bug.

Most importnatly however.

99% of all fights only require 1-3 spells to end.

Mage UNLIKE Druid has trouble not effecting other party members has lower range spells even after patch, and has to move around the battlefield more for placement for fan of flames etc...

Could also point out one VERY important fact.

Your entire defense on why the Wizard doesnt suck is because of a single tier3 spell.

That in itself is sucking, if the Wizard NEEDS that spell to be competitive with another casting class that doesnt need to use a single specific spell EVERY encounter.

Except the Druids end line AOE spell is far better then the Wizards.

Druid can also drop con to min... buff DEX to max and still have more health then a wizard with 10 con...

Also not sure how much faster you think the spell makes the wizard cast but its not instant fireballs... its 50% faster...

Wizard can cast 3 spells when a Druid has cast 2...

Problem is one of those spells was Deleterious Alacrity of Motion...

End result is wizard casts 3 combat spells Druid casts 3 combat spells... only with the 4th combat spell does the wizard pull ahead... in damage/CC

5 spells cast vs 4...

With a decent intelligence DoAM lasts for 46 seconds, which allows for many more than two spells to be cast accelerated, and any tough battle is likely to take significantly more time than what it takes to cast 3-4 non-hasted combat spells before it is done.

And while 2 v 2 combat spells sounds good for druid, 4 v 3, 6 v 4, 8 v 5, 10 v 6 in favour of the wizard doesn't.

Now if you want max dex and Deleterious Alacrity of Motion a mage is awesome 1.2*1.5=1.8 attack speed... but to do that you drop multiple stats and lose out on role playing intercations in the game...

I am quite happy with my:

MIG 18

CON 3

DEX 19

PER 4

INT 19

RES 15

Wood elf wizard, thank you very much. I lose out on perception role playing interactions, but since I'd need HIGH perception for that, not just medium perception, those were not an option anyhow unless I wanted to shaft either MIG, DEX, or INT - merely taking a medium value in one of them, such as DEX, wouldn't be enough to put enough points in PER to reach the 14-16 level where most checks are made.

As is, I get all MIG, DEX, and INT roleplaying interactions and, as a bonus, all of the RES as well, since I buff my resolve with items and rest.

I've got a hard time seeing how anybody would make any build that didn't end up losing out on some role playing interactions, and I also find it hard to see how you'd build anything but a tank (with high PER, INT, and RES) that would get more of the interactions than I do, given the prevalence of MIG, INT, PER, and RES interactions.

As it's been stated multiple times, if you build your Wizard to be a DPS character then you really should of gone Druid or heck gone with a Rogue or Barb for DPS.

A Wizard's primary focus is CC. With spells like Chill Fog, Slicken, Dazzling Lights, Miasma of Dull, Curse of Blackened, Bewildering Spectacle, Exposed Vulnerabilities and so many others, it's easy to criple the enemies offensives and defenses.

Now that's not to say a Wizard can't hold his own on the DPS scale but it's simply not his main focus. With a high INT it's easy for your CC spells not to hit your party and a lot of those CC spells are actually Foe Aoe only.

So after casting your Foe Aoe CC, then you can more safely move around and cast a Fan of Flames or whatever to help with the DPS or simply lay back and use your Implements with Blast+Penetrating Blast. Then when the CCs are wearing off, you cast another CC spell to keep the enemies harmless and defenceless.

Minor Blight is great and makes him very powerfull for DPS with Blast and Penetrating Blast but you should still fire off some great nasty CC spell before trying to DPS.

Except the druid does not have bad CC, as a matter of fact is on par with wizard... and as a matter of fact almost all Wizard spells are Friendly fire... while other classes have good set of foe only spells almost all wizard spells are NOT foe only.

Only thing the druid lacks compared to the wizard is the TOTAL number of spells they can cast.

They get a few less.

You can finish the game with a Wizard solo... its not BROKEN to the extent you cannot...

IT is broken to the extent a Priest can buff/debuff better overall, and a druid can outdamage, and both druid and priest have better damage spells in that they are FOE only and can be droped on your own tank line with little regard.

Wizard doesnt actually need MUCH to fix it... accuracy increased from low to medium would actually do it.

It would make wizard spells more effective in general then any other class vs mobs... due to AIM VS Will/Deflection/Fort/Reflex.

Yet not provide an unreasonable boost.

As it's been stated multiple times, if you build your Wizard to be a DPS character then you really should of gone Druid or heck gone with a Rogue or Barb for DPS.

A Wizard's primary focus is CC. With spells like Chill Fog, Slicken, Dazzling Lights, Miasma of Dull, Curse of Blackened, Bewildering Spectacle, Exposed Vulnerabilities and so many others, it's easy to criple the enemies offensives and defenses.

Now that's not to say a Wizard can't hold his own on the DPS scale but it's simply not his main focus. With a high INT it's easy for your CC spells not to hit your party and a lot of those CC spells are actually Foe Aoe only.

So after casting your Foe Aoe CC, then you can more safely move around and cast a Fan of Flames or whatever to help with the DPS or simply lay back and use your Implements with Blast+Penetrating Blast. Then when the CCs are wearing off, you cast another CC spell to keep the enemies harmless and defenceless.

Minor Blight is great and makes him very powerfull for DPS with Blast and Penetrating Blast but you should still fire off some great nasty CC spell before trying to DPS.

Edited by Phoynix