Twitter outrage over the "[spoiler]" quest

The ride never ends part 2.

Tigger Warning! Contains one f-word. I'm not going to discriminate against the other letters by not mentioning them simply because they didn't start the word so here it goes: c, k, and u.

I hope this pleases everyone and nobody is offended.

There's only one appropriate answer (again): 

• Like 5

"Some men see things as they are and say why?"
"I dream things that never were and say why not?"
- George Bernard Shaw

"Hope in reality is the worst of all evils because it prolongs the torments of man."
- Friedrich Nietzsche

"The amount of energy necessary to refute bull**** is an order of magnitude bigger than to produce it."

- Some guy 

most of the people posting in this thread, strike me as far, FAR more offended than anything I have seen on twitter regarding game content.

ask yourselves... why is that.

after gamergate, people should be taking a very hard look at themeselves when they start railing on imaginary "social justice warriors".

you sound like the morons from the 60s who railed against civil rights activists.

very much so, in fact.

OMG somebody posted something I didn't like on the Internet ...

You probably have never been in a real Dictatorship if so you would have noticed that the first thing the government does is banning artists and journalists from showing controversial things. In some of those countries people are being beheaded for talking against the government while the newspapers and TV are only allowed to show how good everything is and how everyone are happy under the leadership.

If you think this game should change thank you for helping making the US a better democracy by trying to do the same thing to artists that makes computer games.

Freedom of speech>> ones personal feeling and there is no connection to civil rights in any way.

Edited by barakav

troll.gifseatroll.gificetroll.giftroll.gif

An ex-biophysicist but currently Studying Schwarzschild singularities' black holes' Hawking radiation using LAZORS and hypersonic sound wave models.

My main objective is to use my results to take over the world!

My problem with the FF videos (and I'm a woman saying this) is that she has openly admitted that she hasn't played all of the games she reviews.

I would agree with you completely if she were doing game reviews. The trope videos, as I understand them, are trying to identify recurring patterns over a large number of games.

Similarly, how can someone say that women are mistreated in games if they're not playing the games they're upset about? 

What makes you think she is upset? She is doing cultural criticism - looking at games to find patterns and pointing them out.

If anything, it would be better to hire people who had never seen the games to objectively look for examples of the tropes:

1. Provide a standard to identify the various tropes that a disinterested person could follow to identify examples of the tropes

2. Get a bunch of people to count the tropes in various games and cross check that different annotators give the same answers by having several people do the annotations

3. Update the annotator guidelines if the people don't agree and redo the annotations with new people when necessary

4. Crunch the numbers

That would give a clearer signal than somebody who plays the games and is emotionally invested in them. It would make a good kickstarter project for someone wanting to uncover the truth about these tropes whatever that truth turns out to be.

Edited by Yonjuro

Tigger Warning! Contains one f-word. I'm not going to discriminate against the other letters by not mentioning them simply because they didn't start the word so here it goes: c, k, and u.

But but...what will she play after "Gone Home"?...she can only play games that have compelling storytelling and long intricate 4 hours of gameplay...

Oh Firedorn WHAT HAVE YOU DOOOONEEEE TO THIS POOR CREATURE?!

OHH THE WHITE CIS -MANITYYYY!!!!

Edited by Bayzent
  • Like 1

What on earth are you on about?  The limerick wasn't actual game content created by Obsidian.  It was just junk allowed into the game for the sake of a backer.

Oh, this started WAY before the limerick. Check the Caedgun's Boob Plate controversy of 2012...which happened during the kickstarter

Have a link?  If someone objected to bikini armor for the ladies and Obsidian changed it, I'm glad.  I hate that crap.  It makes no sense whatsoever on top of the sexist concerns many have.

There's only one appropriate answer (again): 

That was literally rape

How dare you

• Like 1

This is why I say removing things is a slippery slope, now they're demanding something else gets removed. Where does it end?

Exactly. That's why you mustn't budge at first. If you do, well, then you're gonna get fuc*** by just about every internet demographic out there.

Edited by Luj1
  • Like 1

"There once was a loon that twitter

Before he went down the ****ter

In its demise he wasn't missed

Because there were bugs to be fixed."

~ Kaine

This is why I say removing things is a slippery slope, now they're demanding something else gets removed. Where does it end?

Exactly. That's why you mustn't budge at first. If you do, well, then you're gonna get fuc*** by just about every internet demographic out there.

Devs need to follow Daniel Vavra's example and just refuse to change anything.  They've given up on him and his game.

I mean I'm sure they'll give him hell again when the game gets released, but it'll blow over.

• Like 1

When the game is an interactive 2 hour long text only book like Depression Quest?

Please dont insult visual novels. I have read some which had pretty good quality, better than DQ anyway.

• Like 1

Honestly, Obsidian only did what was good for future business unfortunately. Or did they?

Step 1: Use Nostalgia to save the company, milk money out of those interested and Fans.

Step 2: Step 2 Deliver on most things they promised with compromises made along the way

Step 3: Sell the Game

Step 4: Deal with controversy in the worst way possible and backstab a good portion of their backers because the backers already paid for the game and some already paid for the expansion and thus no longer matter.

Step 5: Make more money as a result of appeasing a total nutcase that does not actually represent the demographic HE (not she, I refuse to recognize that person as a real TG when comparing that !@#$ to TG acquaintances I've made over the years) purportedly claims to be a part of.

Step 6: Fire some the developer that got involved in the controversy because he happened to be the one to receive the demand initially since the company as a whole wants to improve PR with the betrayed backers.

Step 7: Profit some more at the expense of the people that contributed and believed in the company on the first place.

Step 8: Become as hated as Ubisoft, EA(before they began changing business practices in critical areas), Zynga

Step 9: continue to make poor decisions that shaft the repeat customers

Step 10: Close doors and fire everyone when no one supports Obsidian on their next potentially company saving venture.

Man, all this "drama" lately is making me facepalm big time. There was a quest in Dragon Age: Origins that involved killing a child - and it was a damn good quest. Of course if this was real life it would be disgusting and horrible, but this kind of scenarios should be allowed to be told through a story, even a virtual story. It's art, it's not real. Quests like these makes people get emotional, angry or sad - and those are feelings that makes a good story. 

Devs need to follow Daniel Vavra's example and just refuse to change anything.  They've given up on him and his game.

I mean I'm sure they'll give him hell again when the game gets released, but it'll blow over.

I think the best devs to follow would be these guys, mainly Kamiya (I could post several images showing why I love this guy).

1392610514234.png

George Kamitani is fine too.

18lhaz86uht6rjpg.jpg

• Like 3

Honestly, Obsidian only did what was good for future business unfortunately. Or did they?

Step 1: Use Nostalgia to save the company, milk money out of those interested and Fans.

Step 2: Step 2 Deliver on most things they promised with compromises made along the way

Step 4: Deal with controversy in the worst way possible and backstab a good portion of their backers because the backers already paid for the game and some already paid for the expansion and thus no longer matter.

Step 5: Make more money as a result of appeasing a total nutcase that does not actually represent the demographic HE (not she, I refuse to recognize that person as a real TG when comparing that !@#$ to TG acquaintances I've made over the years) purportedly claims to be a part of.

Step 6: Fire some the developer that got involved in the controversy because he happened to be the one to receive the demand initially since the company as a whole wants to improve PR with the betrayed backers.

Step 7: Profit some more at the expense of the people that contributed and believed in the company on the first place.

Step 8: Become as hated as Ubisoft, EA(before they began changing business practices in critical areas), Zynga

Step 10: Close doors and fire everyone when no one supports Obsidian on their next potentially company saving venture.

I'm sorry, but this is idiotic.

• Like 1

This, however, is not fake.

Don't know.

The way some people in this thread has now determined the other one being fake is actual fact. Don't be surprised if some will question the validity of this one.

Disclaimer: I'm not saying the original tweet is surely a real one that got deleted later. I am however saying it's impossible to determine. Some people have decided it's "clearly fake" - which is just ridiculous and a cheap way to try and get their views across. Why do people always have to embellish?

I think the best devs to follow would be these guys, mainly Kamiya (I could post several images showing why I love this guy).

1392610514234.png

George Kamitani is fine too.

18lhaz86uht6rjpg.jpg

Japanese games are horrible...

Hey guys,

just saw that picture on reddit. Apparently the easily offended moved to the next target.

While i agree with the statement that children should have special protection in video games and shouldnt be allowed to be slaughtered or sacrificed, i

Why? Why should that possibly be a thing? I have never heard one single legitimate reason that my representation of ones and zero's shouldn't destroy that representation of ones and zeroes, particularly not because the program interprets that collection of ones and zeroes in some way that it visually resembles a human child. That makes no ****ing sense.

My problem with the FF videos (and I'm a woman saying this) is that she has openly admitted that she hasn't played all of the games she reviews.

I would agree with you completely if she were doing game reviews. The trope videos, as I understand them, are trying to identify recurring patterns over a large number of games.

Similarly, how can someone say that women are mistreated in games if they're not playing the games they're upset about? 

What makes you think she is upset? She is doing cultural criticism - looking at games to find patterns and pointing them out.

If anything, it would be better to hire people who had never seen the games to objectively look for examples of the tropes:

1. Provide a standard to identify the various tropes that a disinterested person could follow to identify examples of the tropes

2. Get a bunch of people to count the tropes in various games and cross check that different annotators give the same answers by having several people do the annotations

3. Update the annotator guidelines if the people don't agree and redo the annotations with new people when necessary

4. Crunch the numbers

That would give a clearer signal than somebody who plays the games and is emotionally invested in them. It would make a good kickstarter project for someone wanting to uncover the truth about these tropes whatever that truth turns out to be.

Sorry man, but if you wanna critique something like games you have to actually play it or you will end up making mistakes like saying that Hitman series is about murdering women and hiding then in dumpsters, instead of making the least aggressive approach and achieve the murder like a professional Hitman.

Other observation is, of the 16 targets only 4 are women. Killing the narrative that the games is violence against women.(Blood Money)

I'm sorry, but this is idiotic.

I agree lol...