Twitter outrage over the "[spoiler]" quest

I don't know if the tweet in the OP was real, but if it was, SJW's would not care about it.  "Save the children" is a conservative argument, and no one in gaming gives a crap about them ;).

SJWs care about women, marginalized groups, and identity politics.  Not violence, you're getting your authoritarians mixed up ;).

They all look the same to me *spits tobacco*

Well then make it Old Valia and yell "Skaen Akbar!"

Problem solved.

This, however, is not fake.

What?  The offended are still not pleased after Obsidian bowed down to them and they demand more?  I am shocked, SHOCKED I SAY! /s.  These people get off on bullying others and making big name companies like obsidian bow down and beg for forgiveness from them.  Giving in to them on anything is the first mistake because they will always just come back demanding more.  

Maybe they're still not pleased because ::gasp:: Obsidian didn't actually bow down to them, hmm? If Obsidian's sole goal was to not offend these people, they wouldn't have replaced the original message with one that obviously insults the offended. And who gives a **** if they come back "demanding more," no skin off my or your or Obsidian's back so what's the issue exactly? People on both sides of this issue are being so single-mindedly ridiculous.

The so-called SJWs say that the joke was directly referencing and intended to be hateful toward transgendered, that their hurt feelings mean it needs to be removed, and that the (also offensive I guess) message replacing it means they'll boycott Obsidian forever. The whiners on the other side are all preaching about how it's the end of the ******* world because Obisidian decided to edit a backer's contribution to the game (with his express consent, I might add). Obviously Obsidian bowed down and apologized and begged the forgiveness of the SJWs (source of the apologizing and begging for forgiveness?) and so now they'll boycott Obsidian forever because Obsidian hates freedom of speech and is clearly going to remove every potentially offensive thing from the game now. Both of these groups are acting like children and grossly misrepresenting the situation. Give me a break.

If it were up to me, I never would have removed it. Luckily for you guys, though, it was Obsidian that made PoE and not me, so the decision was theirs. It was a business decision. They made it. Move on with your life.

"Forsooth, methinks you are no ordinary talking chicken!"

-Protagonist, Baldur's Gate

So this thread is now about Capitalism?

Stalin was godtier, the lot of you need the gulag.

Stalin a ****. Mao did everything Stalin did, but better.

Mao for eternal leader.

**** you.

HOXHA!!!!!!!

15e.png

"Akiva Goldsman and Alex Kurtzman run the 21st century version of MK ULTRA." - majestic

"I'm gonna hunt you down so that I can slap you square in the mouth." - Bartimaeus

"Without individual thinking you can't notice the plot holes." - InsaneCommander

"Just feed off the suffering of gamers." - Malcador

"You are calling my taste crap." -Hurlshort

"thankfully it seems like the creators like Hungary less this time around." - Sarex

"Don't forget the wakame, dumbass" -Keyrock

"Are you trolling or just being inadvertently nonsensical?' -Pidesco

"we have already been forced to admit you are at least human" - uuuhhii

"I refuse to buy from non-woke businesses" - HoonDing

"feral camels are now considered a pest" - Gorth

"Melkathi is known to be an overly critical grumpy person" - Melkathi

"Oddly enough Sanderson was a lot more direct despite being a Mormon" - Zoraptor

"I found it greatly disturbing to scroll through my cartoon's halfing selection of genitalias." - Wormerine

"Am I phrasing in the most negative light for them? Yes, but it's not untrue." - ShadySands

I suggest that Obsidian change their Twitter-bot to repond to every "request" for "removing problematic/toxic-content" with the following video:

• Like 1

"Some men see things as they are and say why?"
"I dream things that never were and say why not?"
- George Bernard Shaw

"Hope in reality is the worst of all evils because it prolongs the torments of man."
- Friedrich Nietzsche

"The amount of energy necessary to refute bull**** is an order of magnitude bigger than to produce it."

- Some guy 

Yes, let's continue to dedicate entire threads to random people on Twitter and Reddit, who are clearly doing this for attention and who we can easily ignore

Okay.

• Like 1

"Good thing I don't heal my characters or they'd be really hurt." Is not something I should ever be thinking.

I use blue text when I'm being sarcastic.

@Creslin321 I'm a big believer in stable and democratic political institutions. They're by no means invulnerable to corruption or subversion, but they can serve as a counterweight to the raw market power wielded by big economic players.

The main problem right now is that capital is far freer to move than people. This means that any market player that's big enough can escape pretty much any attempt at counterbalancing it simply by making jurisdictions compete against each other in a race to the bottom, and then picking the most advantageous one, like the Cayman Islands, Delaware, or City of London. This is a post-Reagan phenomenon. Before him, capital movements were much more restricted, which meant that even multinational giant corporations had to come to terms with the rules in the countries in which they worked. Tax havens existed but they were penny-ante stuff, not a central feature of the global economic system. And, of course, these corporations were free to be as rapacious as they like outside the stable democracies of Western Europe and the US (and they were).

This situation makes it extremely difficult to reform political institutions anywhere, simply because the powers that do not want to see them reformed command such immense economic power, and can easily shift it wherever they feel it's most convenient. After all, the prize is so much better if you get to write the rules of the game.

Edited by PrimeJunta

I have a project. It's a tabletop RPG. It's free. It's a work in progress. Find it here: www.brikoleur.com

Mao for eternal leader.

**** you.

HOXHA!!!!!!!

15e.png

Someone has been dwelling too long on /leftypol/ :p

"Some men see things as they are and say why?"
"I dream things that never were and say why not?"
- George Bernard Shaw

"Hope in reality is the worst of all evils because it prolongs the torments of man."
- Friedrich Nietzsche

"The amount of energy necessary to refute bull**** is an order of magnitude bigger than to produce it."

- Some guy 

@Creslin321 I'm a big believer in stable and democratic political institutions. They're by no means invulnerable to corruption or subversion, but they can serve as a counterweight to the raw market power wielded by big economic players.

The main problem right now is that capital is far freer to move than people. This means that any market player that's big enough can escape pretty much any attempt at counterbalancing it simply by making jurisdictions compete against each other in a race to the bottom, and then picking the most advantageous one, like the Cayman Islands, Delaware, or City of London. This is a post-Reagan phenomenon. Before him, capital movements were much more restricted, which meant that even multinational giant corporations had to come to terms with the rules in the countries in which they worked. Tax havens existed but they were penny-ante stuff, not a central feature of the global economic system. And, of course, these corporations were free to be as rapacious as they like outside the stable democracies of Western Europe and the US (and they were).

This situation makes it extremely difficult to reform political institutions anywhere, simply because the powers that do not want to see them reformed command such immense economic power, and can easily shift it wherever they feel it's most convenient. After all, the prize is so much better if you get to write the rules of the game.

Makes sense to me!  Every time I hear something ludicrous like Apple being based in Ireland, I know there's some shady crap going on there, and you expressed what that crap is pretty well :).  It seems like it all comes down to the conundrum that the people with the wealth make the rules, and they're not going to make rules that will cost them...which just leads to more wealth inequality.

Also, I did some more research into the wage gap, this is a pretty good video on it:  

Edited by Creslin321

Didn't read this thread but I just want to say that this is what happens when you give up to one idiot on the Internet.

Now there are thousands of them that are just scouting the game ,searching for everything controversial they could tweet about.

I posted about it after the transphobic tweet thing and said it will start a dangerous path in which anyone who doesn't like something in the game will try to change it and now my prophecy is coming to life!

Edited by barakav

troll.gifseatroll.gificetroll.giftroll.gif

An ex-biophysicist but currently Studying Schwarzschild singularities' black holes' Hawking radiation using LAZORS and hypersonic sound wave models.

My main objective is to use my results to take over the world!

Haven't read the thread but the bottom line is this Obsidian. Without the backers you would not have created this game. You should respect them and their wishes rather than a bloody internet moron. Your backers EARNED the right to have this stuff in the game, THIS troll has NO SAY. 

@barakav If you're prophesying, here are a few more.

People will continue to tweet opinions. 

People will continue to be outraged by these opinions.

P:E will continue to be patched, tweaked, and adjusted.

People will be outraged by some of the changes.

People will continue to express their outrage here and on Twitter.

Capitalism will continue to suck until the people wake up and replace it with something better. 

I have a project. It's a tabletop RPG. It's free. It's a work in progress. Find it here: www.brikoleur.com

Oh thats good, that made me laugh so hard. These people are highly amusing :grin:

The way the forums are looking these days I'm not convinced we're all that much better.

Well you can find "bad apples" everywhere without much trouble. If the internet has done one thing, then its showing how low people can be if they have the feeling they can get away with it or hide behind a faceless username. *shrug* Usually i don´t think i´m better than anyone, but after reading some of this twitter crap..oh well, let´s just say it made me feel a little better about myself :p

Overall i think this forum is pretty reasonable, especially compared to others ;)

• Like 1

"A reader lives a thousand lives before he dies, the man who never reads lives one."

Haven't read the thread but the bottom line is this Obsidian. Without the backers you would not have created this game. You should respect them and their wishes rather than a bloody internet moron. Your backers EARNED the right to have this stuff in the game, THIS troll has NO SAY. 

Yeah sure, but did you read what Obsidian changed the joke to?  It basically mocked the person complaining how horrible it was.  Personally, I think it was a brilliant move ;).

• Like 1

most of the people posting in this thread, strike me as far, FAR more offended than anything I have seen on twitter regarding game content.

ask yourselves... why is that.

after gamergate, people should be taking a very hard look at themeselves when they start railing on imaginary "social justice warriors".

you sound like the morons from the 60s who railed against civil rights activists.

very much so, in fact.

• Like 1

Yeah sure, but did you read what Obsidian changed the joke to?  It basically mocked the person complaining how horrible it was.  Personally, I think it was a brilliant move ;).

Cool, I haven't seen it. I think this person is pretty pathetic. If these are the kinds of things that get her outraged in life then she must have a pretty sweet life. Getting mad about a  bloody limerick in a fictional game in a fictional universe is really the best thing to get pissed about right? All these Wars and bankers sucking the economy dry are just pathetic in comparison to a LIMERICK. RIGHT? /S

Cool, I haven't seen it. I think this person is pretty pathetic. If these are the kinds of things that get her outraged in life then she must have a pretty sweet life. Getting mad about a  bloody limerick in a fictional game in a fictional universe is really the best thing to get pissed about right? All these Wars and bankers sucking the economy dry are just pathetic in comparison to a LIMERICK. RIGHT? /S

Yeah but like, that limerick seriously makes people want to murder trans people.  It happened to me, not even kidding.  After reading that limerick I bought 10 copies of Rocky Horror Picture Show and burned them all out of rage.

• Like 1

@barakav If you're prophesying, here are a few more.

People will continue to tweet opinions. 

People will continue to be outraged by these opinions.

P:E will continue to be patched, tweaked, and adjusted.

People will be outraged by some of the changes.

People will continue to express their outrage here and on Twitter.

Capitalism will continue to suck until the people wake up and replace it with something better. 

There is a great response to those kinds of posters...

You just need to divert the fire to someplace else ,there are worse games out there ,for example GTA is going to release on PC soon so you just need to tell them that it is well accepted that mature games have gore and death in them and that in this game it was an integral part of the plot and it wasn't there for the sake of it being there so that it is not the same issue as with games like GTA in which you are encouraged to kill people for fun.

I would go further and suggest that if they believe violence should be limited in computer games they should start to tweet against games like GTA and not POE.

Edited by barakav

troll.gifseatroll.gificetroll.giftroll.gif

An ex-biophysicist but currently Studying Schwarzschild singularities' black holes' Hawking radiation using LAZORS and hypersonic sound wave models.

My main objective is to use my results to take over the world!

Yeah but like, that limerick seriously makes people want to murder trans people.  It happened to me, not even kidding.  After reading that limerick I bought 10 copies of Rocky Horror Picture Show and burned them all out of rage.

Oh Thank the Gods, I thought I was the only one...

• Like 1

most of the people posting in this thread, strike me as far, FAR more offended than anything I have seen on twitter regarding game content.

ask yourselves... why is that.

after gamergate, people should be taking a very hard look at themeselves when they start railing on imaginary "social justice warriors".

you sound like the morons from the 60s who railed against civil rights activists.

very much so, in fact.

Gonna be honest, I don't see what's "wrong" about people wanting to protect artists against being bullied into changing things.

I don't agree with everything that people on the "anti-SJW" side of the argument say, but I do agree with the general idea that bullying or shaming someone into changing something that you find offensive is messed up.

• Like 1

Mao for eternal leader.

**** you.

HOXHA!!!!!!!15e.png

I can't help it, seeing black nationalists argue with an-commies is hilarious to me. And I got banned from /polpol/.

1427251273940.png

"Akiva Goldsman and Alex Kurtzman run the 21st century version of MK ULTRA." - majestic

"I'm gonna hunt you down so that I can slap you square in the mouth." - Bartimaeus

"Without individual thinking you can't notice the plot holes." - InsaneCommander

"Just feed off the suffering of gamers." - Malcador

"You are calling my taste crap." -Hurlshort

"thankfully it seems like the creators like Hungary less this time around." - Sarex

"Don't forget the wakame, dumbass" -Keyrock

"Are you trolling or just being inadvertently nonsensical?' -Pidesco

"we have already been forced to admit you are at least human" - uuuhhii

"I refuse to buy from non-woke businesses" - HoonDing

"feral camels are now considered a pest" - Gorth

"Melkathi is known to be an overly critical grumpy person" - Melkathi

"Oddly enough Sanderson was a lot more direct despite being a Mormon" - Zoraptor

"I found it greatly disturbing to scroll through my cartoon's halfing selection of genitalias." - Wormerine

"Am I phrasing in the most negative light for them? Yes, but it's not untrue." - ShadySands

Mao for eternal leader.

**** you.

HOXHA!!!!!!!15e.png

I can't help it, seeing black nationalists argue with an-commies is hilarious to me. And I got banned from /polpol/.

1427251273940.png

He meant "Moscow's Metro Golden"

Edited by Bayzent

The ride never ends part 2.

Tigger Warning! Contains one f-word. I'm not going to discriminate against the other letters by not mentioning them simply because they didn't start the word so here it goes: c, k, and u.

I hope this pleases everyone and nobody is offended.

• Like 1

This post is not to be enjoyed, discussed, or referenced on company time.