Twitter outrage over the "[spoiler]" quest

It's funny that anti-SJWs (or whatever label one wants to use) complain about their hated foes overreacting to everything. 

Then, there is one tweet (that is potentially fake) denouncing violence made to children in the game (whose point I vehemently disagree with, the quest definitely has its place in a 18+ game), and those same anti-SJWs light up the forums like a christmas tree in their sheer outrage. But sure, they are so much more level-headed and wise in the ways of the world than their counterparts, and are not just as guilty of looking for an excuse to be outraged. Honest.

The whole thing is completely absurd. I'm so glad I never took a side in this worthless debate.

Why would people start by assuming that it was fake? Was the bull**** anti-tombstone movement fake?

No one can find the tweet. So it's either a fake or it was deleted. Either way it's not an issue at this given time.

Edited by ChipMHazard

It's funny that anti-SJWs (or whatever label one wants to use) complain about their hated foes overreacting to everything. 

Then, there is one tweet (that is potentially fake) denouncing violence made to children in the game (whose point I vehemently disagree with, the quest definitely has its place in a 18+ game), and those same anti-SJWs light up the forums like a christmas tree in their sheer outrage. But sure, they are so much more level-headed and wise in the ways of the world than their counterparts, and are not just as guilty of looking for an excuse to be outraged. Honest.

The whole thing is completely absurd. I'm so glad I never took a side in this worthless debate.

Why would people start by assuming that it was fake? Was the bull**** anti-tombstone movement fake?

Completely different issues, as one is part of the plot, and the other, is not (rhyme intended).

You give an inch...

...And you're guilty of statutory rape in the first degree

No one can find the tweet. So it's either a fake or it was deleted. Either way it's an issue at this given time.

I get that, it's either deleted or fake, we might never know. But assuming that something is fake after the tombstone fiasco? I don't get that. If that thing got developer attention, anything could. 

All I'm saying is that we should probably ignore feminists from now on. The whole world should probably ignore feminists. 

- How can I live my life if I can't even tell good from evil?

- Eh, they're both fine choices. Whatever floats your boat. 

Why are feminists actively involved in this? What has this got to do with feminism? Some belief that men like to see children murdered and women don't?

Something something patriarchy.

Feminists = ISIS

Radfem bloggers don't have the drive or mental capacity to pull off any act of terrorism. Edited by Syraxis

Hey guys,

just saw that picture on reddit. Apparently the easily offended moved to the next target.

While i agree with the statement that children should have special protection in video games and shouldnt be allowed to be slaughtered or sacrificed, i dont think that we should change major story elements after a game got released, especially since this is a videogame for 16+ year old people

Tl;dr: In my opinion the devs should NOT change it.

ipQfMEW.jpg

Killing children in a videogame is bad but killing adults is ok? Context matter not too? Dude, why don't videogame villians make armies of children? Hell, videogame villians should try to conquer the world WHILE they are still children. "U can't touch this!"

Edited by Wintersong

gay - checked

child abuse - checked

pending

black

immigrant

muslim

Edited by mrmonocle
  • Like 2

I see the dreams so marvelously sad

The creeks of land so solid and encrusted

Where wave and tide against the shore is busted

While chanting by the moonlit twilight's bed

trees (of Twin Elms) could use more of Magran's touch © Durance

Assuming it's fake is one thing (albeit these days, always assume fake until double-checked is my own policy). But the knee-jerk, Obsidian is RUINED reactions in this thread within minutes of the image being posted are quite frankly pathetic. You'd think people would be more level-headed, but nope, just as guilty of being easily outraged as those they denounce.

• Like 3

And now every single idiot will examine the game in every detail in order to find a reason to either call Obsidian "progressive sellouts", "disgusting reactionaries", "children killers" etc...

I'm really enjoying the game and I did not find any kind of propaganda in its content. They did not use it to force their ideas on anyone so I don't care what are Obsidian devs political views. I don't care if they are feminists, masculinists, communists, capitalists, I did not find any form of extremist ideology endorsment in Pillars of Eternity so I don't see why I should start digging for imaginary hidden corpses.

That was going to happen anyway.  We live in a culture that looks for things to be offended by.

If this is patched out or changed in any way I will stop playing this game and will use every possible avenue to get a refund while simultaneously discouraging every possible person in my field of influence (I'm a writer by day, so it's a rather large field) to never touch another Obsidian product. This. Is. Ridiculous. Are people b**ching more about this game than the others...or are we just hearing about it more?

Assuming it's fake is one thing (albeit these days, always assume fake until double-checked is my own policy). But the knee-jerk, Obsidian is RUINED reactions in this thread within minutes of the image being posted are quite frankly pathetic. You'd think people would be more level-headed, but nope, just as guilty of being easily outraged as those they denounce.

If Obsidian laughed off the first case of offense I would agree with you, they didn't. 

If this is patched out or changed in any way I will stop playing this game and will use every possible avenue to get a refund while simultaneously discouraging every possible person in my field of influence (I'm a writer by day, so it's a rather large field) to never touch another Obsidian product. This. Is. Ridiculous. Are people b**ching more about this game than the others...or are we just hearing about it more?

So you are mad at these people spreading lies about the game's content and the only thing you can think of is threatening Obsidian?

It's not comparable to the memorial one.
Nobody cares about the memorials, everybody agreed that a mod to remove backer stuff (including them, especially them) would be cool.

Now however it's about the main damn f**cking tone and story of the game. There's just no way anybody would agree to change that. It'd simply be an artistic suicide.
But the memorial joke, who the hell cares, really...

• Like 1

Qu'avez-vous fait de l'honneur de la patrie ?

Think people got as riled up as they did (not excluding myself) because, given the past year or so in gaming, it COULD happen. That's what's scary, that things like this actually do happen and they COULD happen here.

Think of it as someone telling you someone went and got robbed in NYC after dark, in a park. You'd believe it, right?

I was horrified when someone in the game asked me to kill a child.  I absolutely did not expect it.  I proceeded to have my party kill him, and his entire clan, as my response.

Does that make me better or worse than whoever put the request to kill the child into the game?

Also, by the way, the option to respond to the request by killing everyone was one of the dialog options built into the game.  Does that change your answer to my question?

If I'd been designing the encounter, I would have had a child there with the clan, that grabbed a weapon and attacked you.  That way you'd end up killing a child either way.

This game is rated for mature audiences, and it earns that rating.

Children need to stop playing this game.  And by children, I mean adults with twitter accounts.

It's not comparable to the memorial one.

Nobody cares about the memorials, everybody agreed that a mod to remove backer stuff (including them, especially them) would be cool.

Now however it's about the main damn f**cking tone and story of the game. There's just no way anybody would agree to change that. It'd simply be an artistic suicide.

But the memorial joke, who the hell cares, really...

All the backers who don't think an innocent joke should be removed? 

Personally I found URL's to be much more unacceptable than any joke.

Edited by KingNee

If Obsidian laughed off the first case of offense I would agree with you, they didn't. 

How about you give some credits to Firedorn's own words instead of denying him any kind of honesty in order to keep justifying your anger toward Obsidian? How long will you keep holding your grudge against the devs when the very author of the lines you're pretending to defend said things didn't happened the way you are presenting them?

Edited by Kimuji
  • Like 8

How about you give some credits to Firedorn's own words instead of denying him any kind of honesty in order to keep justifying your anger toward Obsidian? How long will you keep holding your grudge against the devs when the very author of the lines you're pretending to defend said things didn't happened the way you are presenting them?

I feel the issue is mainly that due to a random person on Twitter complaining, a backer was told/offered to change his text. So, to be fair to everyone, all backers should be able to change theirs, right?

• Like 1

There never was anything to worry about; Obsidian were never going to change the actual content of the game, even if all of Twitter rose up as one and cried out for horrible, horrible censorship.

To bad we have objective reality that shows this claim to be entirely untrue. Honestly, I don't see why some of you are even defending it at this point, saying that it never happened. Everyone knows it did.

I'm not sure what's worse, the SJW crazies that are cheering it on or the SJW hypocrites that claimed it never happened.

Can someone update me on this: did someone find one tweet from some random person which was critical of some element of POE, which people are up in arms about? Or am I missing something? Is there some great political movement to change this part of the story?

It's really weird. The games community is kind of sensitive and fractured at the moment, so everything gets completely blown out of proportion.

Actually, gamers really isn't fractured at all. The gaming community concern themselves with the state of gaming and opposes censorship or pressure tactics, whether it's from interest groups or no-name psychopaths.

The insanity comes from people trying to use the medium as a political platform rather than an art outlet or culturally significant hobby; also known as Social Justice Warriors or Cultural Marxists. Or just "that crazy ****er on Twitter that is having a meltdown based on nonsense haha oh wow".

You're missing the point. People aren't actually going bananas over the Twit in the OP. People are saying that if Obsidian is going to cave to crazies, they shouldn't be hypocritical about it. Why is a complete non-issue catered to, but an actual issue ignored on the basis of artistic merit?

If the first was an issue, how can this possibly not be, by any stretch of the imagination?

And the truth of the matter is, of course, that it wasn't an issue before, and it isn't an issue now. The issue is, ultimately, that really, really crazy people comes with frivolous demands based on being "offended" by potentiall objectionable content, mostly by proxy.

Reasonable people aren't being reasonable, because the situation created isn't reasonable by any measurement. The first reaction was completely irrational and utterly unreasonable. Reasonable people are, therefore, asking for consistency in order to highlight the original point - that point being that if you let "the offended" dictate your policies, you are in a position you cannot possibly win.

The only way to win is to not play the game. And, when possible, tell these people to take their dogmatic bull**** and shove it so far up where the sun doesn't shine that it forms a supermassive black hole and turns into a magnificent quasar, because then at least we'd have something nice to look at.

• Like 11

t50aJUd.jpg

You'd have a point if they actually did that. Instead, they calmly asked the author what he wanted done. He replaced the offending message with one making fun of the whole thing. See the keywords? Calm. Cool. Acting, not overreacting. That's how you actually solve problems.

In this case, both Obsidian and the author acted far more maturely than those who were offended by the joke and those who were offended they were offended. I trust Obsidian to do the right thing far more than I trust those two glorified internet lynch mobs.

Edited by Jasta11

What are you referring to? this? http://www.orderoflaibach.com/blog/screw-you-firedorn-lightbringer

The author has no say in this anymore unless he had come forth to Obsidian, BEFORE any of this on HIS OWN VOLITION and requested to have it removed/changed. Anything after that and he is a non factor. After that it's all principle.  

• Like 6

You'd have a point if they actually did that. Instead, they calmly asked the author what he wanted done. He replaced the offending message with one making fun of the whole thing. See the keywords? Calm. Cool. Acting, not overreacting. That's how you actually solve problems.

In this case, both Obsidian and the author acted far more maturely than those who were offended by the joke and those who were offended they were offended. I trust Obsidian to do the right thing far more than I trust those two glorified internet lynch mobs.

The missing point of yours being that Obsidian shouldn't have done anything at all. 

• Like 7