Twitter outrage over the "[spoiler]" quest

@Longknife Sorry, but I won't get drawn into a discussion which involves me critiquing Sarkeesian. The reason is that I do not want to be associated in any shape or form with the group of people who does that. There's nothing GG loves more than infighting among their opposition.

Which is a shame because I believe there would be an intelligent conversation to be had there. I'm just not going to do it until when somebody saying "feminism" will no longer cause an instant twitterstorm.

• Like 3

I have a project. It's a tabletop RPG. It's free. It's a work in progress. Find it here: www.brikoleur.com

They've brought it on themselves by bowing to SJW zealots tbh.

It's hunting season on Obsidian now that they've changed content in their game because of a minority, they smell blood.

We don't know if it will escalate into anything more than it is now. It's entirely possible that all the steam was lost after their first "victory". If it does en up getting picked up by other sites then we can start worrying about what damage that might cause Obsidian. 

Things has gone so silly that now we can't even tell the "SJWs" complaints about Obsidian and the game from the "Anti-SJWs" ones. This is going way too far. Way too many people are now using this forum to start debates and controversies that don't belong here.

Edited by Kimuji
  • Like 5

What's with the ugliness on this forum? Every singular instance that pops up becomes pitchforks and torches against the 'progressive' or 'SJW' crowd. Is this the gut reaction now, when you have nothing to add to the discussion? Build up an effigy you're burning down at every point you possibly can relate it? I still don't understand this us and them fall back that's now embedded throughout all of gaming. I use to always think it was just youth, but its prevalence here really shows us that that's as not the case. There's so much fear being pumped into these labels you'd rather throw around than engage a dialogue. And I get it, dialogues generally don't go well from that side so it's probably discouraging. But you're creating your own big bad here, because all your fears of censorship and freedom of content and the dulling of art... they're all unfounded. There has been nothing but an explosion in artistic freedom, content and extremes growing hand in hand with the progressive movements you fear so much. All that's changed is that hate and bigotry are finally being displayed in clear light for everyone to see and recognize. 

Edited by trashmyego
  • Like 7

@Longknife Sorry, but I won't get drawn into a discussion which involves me critiquing Sarkeesian. The reason is that I do not want to be associated in any shape or form with the group of people who does that. There's nothing GG loves more than infighting among their opposition.

Which is inobjective of you. And reminds me of something...

Just a couple hours ago I saw an online discussion where a woman was caught robbing people. Essentially, she was selling $5 jewelry to people for upwards of $80, basically scamming them. She got caught and was forced to comment on it. Her husband jumped in to defend her. People commented and said "wtf why would her husband defend her?" To which some women answered "because that's what any real man would do."

I do not agree with this sentiment. If I'm dating someone and they do something wrong, I ****ing tell them. I don't defend them, because if I defended them, it would be because I love them, and not because they deserve the defense on this issue.

Same concept here. Not saying you love Anita, but I'm saying if she deserves to be called a liar? Call her a liar. There is no "but she's on my side!!!" I've spent all day ranting about GamerGate supporters - people on my "side" - who were acting like children and idiots. There is no "but they're on my side so I should defend their stupidity!" No, I call out the idiotic ones and I support the ones I think make good points.

Anita lies. And it's sad to hear that it could be possible that she's lied about and misrepresented an Obsidian title and Obsidian MIGHT still support her.

YOU should also be concerned with the fact that she projects the idea that "it's never enough" to the opposition. New Vegas is a glowing example of everything she wants from a game, and what became of it? Reduced to nothing but cannon fodder for her narrative. There was no integrity or no decision to acknowledge some games do things right. Nah, let's reduce it to cannon fodder. What motivation does she give developers to actually listen to her?

Edited by Longknife
  • Like 17

"The Courier was the worst of all of them. The worst by far. When he died the first time, he must have met the devil, and then killed him."

Is your mom hot? It may explain why guys were following her ?

Actually I searched twitter to see if it was real and if I could find the person, it's either been deleted or it never existed to begin with.

I hope that this was just a hoax or that the original tweet was deleted. Either way we wouldn't have to deal with that nonsense again. 

• Like 1

"It's okay to torture, kill, rape, steal soul from an ADULT, but leave the kids alone" - what is wrong with this people??. How poor this woman is, really can't describe it. Go and find a job, do something. Personally I love murdering little kids and their parents in games. So leave it as it is.

So, now we have.

1. The backers who didn't want Obsidian to bend over and cave have been ignored to follow the whims of an advocate of genocide, and several of them are probably pretty mad.
  2. I know a certain consumer revolt hasn't reacted well. And that's a pretty big chunk of people.
  3. In the meantime, the people that Obsidian went out of its way to cater to, as seen up here and here, are still mad, because of the correction, because of other "problematic" content, and because they're always mad.

Basically, Obsidian has turned a microscopic issue that would've been forgotten in days into such a spectacular PR catastrophe that I believe there is literally no way for them to get out of it without some colossal damage.

If I were the marketing supergenious who cooked this up, I wouldn't be able to sleep at night. They've done unrepariable damage to the company's reputation, which pisses me off even more because the game is excellent this far.

• Like 7

Actually I searched twitter to see if it was real and if I could find the person, it's either been deleted or it never existed to begin with.

I hope that this was just a hoax or that the original tweet was deleted. Either way we wouldn't have to deal with that nonsense again. 

People have said it might be, but the typo of "Obisidian" would've made it easy to find.

Guess that's the next thing they'll secretly patch out since twitter now dictates what content goes in a game.

i dont think so. That would be HUGE. Its a major part of the main story and the sidequest in act 3.

Also you cant speak of the "next" thing because they didnt remove the "transmisogynistic joke", or did they? I heard they just replaced it.

They changed it but it was the backers choice to do.  Obsidian was willing to leave it in the game.

It's fake.

The first thing you do when seeing something like this is to ask for verification. Until you have that, assume fake.

Edited by Cpmartins

“Here lies Firedorn, a hero in bed.

“He once was alive, but now he’s dead.

“The last woman he bedded, turned out a man

“And crying in shame, off a cliff he ran.”

Firedorn. Bard, transmysogynistic scatlord, skeleton.

Regarding the OP post.  This is EXACTLY what happens when you give into a group of crazy people who spend all day finding things to be offended about.  They smell blood and will keep coming back for more. 

Problematic issues that will come up from the offended twitter side soon:

• Children dying
  • Women getting killed/murdered
  • Why are women weak?
  • Why is there not more diverse characters (non white)
  • Why is there not more people with different sexual orientations
  • Why can't the PC be a trans person?
  • The hanging tree
  • Prostitutes
  • Why is there not a even 50/50 split of women to men ratio?
  • etc...etc...etc.

Obsidian/Josh opened a can of worms when they caved in to the crazy people.  This will just be the tip of the iceberg of complaints coming soon.  The majority are NOT gamers, in fact most hate gaming and their culture.  However, it is now a hot platform to shove their political ideology on.  They are not going away and you will NEVER please them, but you will hurt your own gaming fans and your own artistic freedom by listening and giving in to them.

Obsidian have nobody to blame but themselves for this mess.

It is sad really, but because they gave into the pressure of one arguably mentally ill person that is unlike any TG I know in real life or through other places I frequent, Obsidian have probably HURT their own sales potential more so than the big bugs they launched the game with.

• Like 2

actually it's about ethics in games journalism *farts*

"Actually this forum section is about Pillars of Eternity."  :wowey:

It is sad really, but because they gave into the pressure of one arguably mentally ill person that is unlike any TG I know in real life or through other places I frequent, Obsidian have probably HURT their own sales potential more so than the big bugs they launched the game with.

I don't think so, all these accusations come from people who wouldn't have bought the game anyway or recommended it to friends. Twitter is all about noise and buzz, it doesn't mean that it's got an actual influence on what people do in the real life.

Edited by Kimuji
  • Like 1

There is a massive difference between the offensive trans limerick and this issue. In fact they are 2 separate issues. Obsidan were right to correct the limerick which clearly was offensive.

Luckman not sure what you have against Sawyer, but it's becoming really tiring. Every post has an anti Sawyer tirade in it?

Edited by rheingold

"Those who look upon gods then say, without even knowing their names, 'He is Fire. She is Dance. He is Destruction. She is Love.' So, to reply to your statement, they do not call themselves gods. Everyone else does, though, everyone who beholds them."
"So they play that on their fascist banjos, eh?"
"You choose the wrong adjective."
"You've already used up all the others.”

Lord of Light

actually it's about ethics in games journalism *farts*

"Actually this forum section is about Pillars of Eternity."  :wowey:

it was a joke since the image in the op is fake as **** and this is just some gamergate ****er trying to latch onto another game for attention, just like the sjws they oh so hate

good grief the irony is burning like the sun with this stuff

Edited by Sleazebag