Twitter outrage over the "[spoiler]" quest

Just patch out Twitter, Obsidian, and you're good to go!

This is a great read about killing children in a video game, and another game developer's thoughts on it -

“Well, I thought, that is an interesting little problem, isn’t it?  Because I knew darn well that the game doesn’t care whether you kill them or whether you walk away.  It didn’t matter, but I knew it would bring up a psychological image in your mind, an image that was in my mind — and any conflict you bring up in anybody’s mind is beneficial.  It means a person has to think about it."

Full Article Here

Edited by Sylvus_Moonbow
  • Like 7

Yeah it's ghastly when people express an opinion, isn't it?

The issue is not the expression of an opinion. The issue is catering to nutjobs and caving to what amounts to nothing short of soft terrorism. Nobody would have cared about the crazy nobody that whined on Twitter about the memorial, had it not been for Sawyer actually responding to them like it was something to be taken seriously, and then Obsidian actually addressing it, despite the insistance from the actual fans that they should not let things like this dictate policy.

Edited by Luckmann
  • Like 7

t50aJUd.jpg

Those people are just looking for attention.. Because in movies fictional writing those sort of thing happens and they can't influence if they whine... In a work of fiction evrything should be permitted because fictional...if we use the this is wrong policy we didin't have even more RPG...

But killing animals is wrong

Killing people is wrong

Offend women is wrong

Offend men is wrong

Offend transgender is wrong

Offend gay people is wrong

Killing Animals is  wrong.

Killing children is wrong.

Really devs should not care is bad remove fictional contents because is politically correct

• Like 1

This tweet has 22 r/ts and 121 favourites, and most of those favouriting and r/ting won't give this a second thought. Don't worry guys, nothing is gonna happen.

I also think it's fair to point out that the backer joke slipped past the devs in the first place, which makes its removal not so much "caving to demands" as "correcting a mistake"? I was surprised when I saw it in the game, but assumed it was just a filter error, because it seemed to go against the generally progressive nature of Obsidian's games w/r/t sexuality and gender.

As for all the cries about censorship - really? This is your idea of censorship? What about all the other backer texts removed from the game by Obsidian in the first place? Obviously I can't prove this, but I can still pretty much guarantee (because this is why editors are usually necessary) that several other backer texts were rejected before the game made it to the beta. Why aren't you complaining about those? In fact, how do you cope with the fact that pretty much everything published in the world goes through both conscious and subconscious editing processes?

• Like 1

"Everything we hear is an opinion, not a fact. Everything we see is a perspective, not the truth." -Marcus Aurelius

The issue is not the expression of an opinion. The issue is catering to nutjobs and caving to what amounts to nothing short of soft terrorism.

They didn't 'cave,' and they won't change this quest.

I have a project. It's a tabletop RPG. It's free. It's a work in progress. Find it here: www.brikoleur.com

Mods, lock and then delete this thread pls.  The OP is only actually help spin the wheels for these idiots.

Can't well all just be grown up and ignore this crap....by debating it pointlessly, you're just as bad.

Utter nonsense. As long as people stay away from twitter and don't engage these crazy people directly then there is no reason to ignore it here. They won't ago away simply because we pretend they don't exist. 

don't you know its ok to kill children and people and hang them on tress as long as you are straight. Its when you make them gay, transgender or anything else is when its a tragedy.

Edited by wpmaura
  • Like 6

The issue is not the expression of an opinion. The issue is catering to nutjobs and caving to what amounts to nothing short of soft terrorism. Nobody would have cared about the crazy nobody that whined on Twitter about the memorial, had it not been for Sawyer actually responding to them like it was something to be taken seriously, and then Obsidian actually addressing it, despite the insistance from the actual fans that they should not let things like this dictate policy.

And then the majority of idiots on this forum did the exact same thing to Obsidian, then each other  Funny old things opinion and free speech eh?

Mods, lock and then delete this thread pls.  The OP is only actually help spin the wheels for these idiots.

Can't well all just be grown up and ignore this crap....by debating it pointlessly, you're just as bad.

We wish we could ignore this, but if this wasn't an ongoing problem, it would just be ignored. The OP isn't actually helping to spin the wheels for these idiots - Obsidian is. Obsidian insists on responding to non-issues through some kind of pavlonian reflex and let "the offended" dictate what is acceptable and what isn't; that's the whole problem.

• Like 7

t50aJUd.jpg

Utter nonsense. As long as people stay away from twitter and don't engage these crazy people directly then there is no reason to ignore it here. They won't ago away simply because we pretend they don't exist. 

Yes...actually...ignoring something is the best way to make it disappear.   By trolling it here you're doing nothing except garner it more attention.  I would imagine the large majority of us here would not even know about this new tweet if the Op had not brought it to our attention.

Thus..a new thread is made...more discussion...see how those wheels start spinning faster?

Edited by Maviarab

Cmon guys let's be real here: Obsidian's not gonna remove that quest.

• Like 1

"The Courier was the worst of all of them. The worst by far. When he died the first time, he must have met the devil, and then killed him."

Is your mom hot? It may explain why guys were following her ?

We wish we could ignore this, but if this wasn't an ongoing problem, it would just be ignored. The OP isn't actually helping to spin the wheels for these idiots - Obsidian is. Obsidian insists on responding to non-issues through some kind of pavlonian reflex and let "the offended" dictate what is acceptable and what isn't; that's the whole problem.

Except they explicitly stated they wouldn't have wanted this in the game in the first place, it slipped past them. That makes it a correction, not caving.

Removing the quest like where you kill a kid would be caving. But that's not gonna happen, because that would be preposterous.

• Like 1

"Everything we hear is an opinion, not a fact. Everything we see is a perspective, not the truth." -Marcus Aurelius

Guess that's the next thing they'll secretly patch out since twitter now dictates what content goes in a game.

If only #GamerGate had some sort of Twitter presence. Imagine the things they might be able to accomplish.

Yeah...like death threats and rape threats and exposing peoples personal details online?

Bunch of 12 year old (intellect) keyboard warriors and morons themselves.  No better than the Twitter warriors.

• Like 3

Just wait till she tweets to Sawyer. Seems he's the go-to guy with an open ear for the easily offended. And then the next patch rolls in, with a note by the CEOs that some quest content wasn't carefully enough vetted and had since then been removed.  :getlost: :p

• Like 4

@Luckmann You may not have noticed, but Obsidian has actually picked a side in this whole debate, and it's not GG. MCA is good buddies with Leigh Alexander, Josh is a Feminist Frequency sponsor, and so on and so forth. The Twitter twit just pointed out something they had missed that they certainly would have addressed had they noticed it, simply because that's the way they roll.

• Like 2

I have a project. It's a tabletop RPG. It's free. It's a work in progress. Find it here: www.brikoleur.com

don't you know its ok to kill children and people and hang them on tress as long as you are straight. Its when you make them gay, transgender or anything else is when its a tragedy.

I take more issue with this than either the original problem, or the original poster. If people were being picked on, hit, bullied, teased, killed, because they were straight, then you might have a point. But since that's NOT the case, your statement just comes off as bigoted and belittling. Change your second sentence to refer to a discriminated race, and see how quickly you get spanked for being racist.

Yes...actually...ignoring something is the best way to make it disappear.   By trolling it here you're doing nothing except garner it more attention.

Again that is just pure nonsense. Problems don't disappear because you ignore them. They crazy twitter people don't read this forum and as such us discussing it here won't matter to them. 

Also don't refer to me as a troll. 

This will either take off because of Twitter or it won't. 

Edited by ChipMHazard
  • Like 1

The issue is not the expression of an opinion. The issue is catering to nutjobs and caving to what amounts to nothing short of soft terrorism.

They didn't 'cave,' and they won't change this quest.

They did, and you know it. Saying that they didn't isn't really doing the whole thing any favours.

You are correct in that they won't change the quest, though, which is of course part of the problem. I don't want them to change it, of course, but I would prefer them to not be hypocrites at all.

• Like 3

t50aJUd.jpg

Yes...actually...ignoring something is the best way to make it disappear.   By trolling it here you're doing nothing except garner it more attention.

Again that is just pure nonsense. Problems don't disappear because you ignore them. They crazy twitter people don't read this forum and as such us discussing it here won't matter to them. 

Also don't refer to me as a troll. 

This will either take off because of Twitter or it won't. 

was referring to the OP not yourself.

Also, don't tell me what to do.

Josh is a Feminist Frequency sponsor

Got a source on this?

"The Courier was the worst of all of them. The worst by far. When he died the first time, he must have met the devil, and then killed him."

Is your mom hot? It may explain why guys were following her ?

Just patch out Twitter, Obsidian, and you're good to go!

This is a great read about killing children in a video game, and another game developer's thoughts on it -

“Well, I thought, that is an interesting little problem, isn’t it?  Because I knew darn well that the game doesn’t care whether you kill them or whether you walk away.  It didn’t matter, but I knew it would bring up a psychological image in your mind, an image that was in my mind — and any conflict you bring up in anybody’s mind is beneficial.  It means a person has to think about it."

Full Article Here

Garriott  sums it up nicely in this quote:

“And I said, because you guys are missing the point. You are now trying to tell me what I can do artistically — about something that is, in my opinion, not the issue you think it is. If it was something explicitly sexist or explicitly racist or promoting child abuse, I could stand being censored. But if it is something that provoked an emotional response from one individual, I say I have proven the success of the room. The fact that you guys are fighting me over this makes me even more sure I should not remove that room from the game.”

But of course that was the 80s so Garriott  didn't have to fear a twitter backlash.

• Like 8