Twitter outrage over the "[spoiler]" quest

Hey guys,

just saw that picture on reddit. Apparently the easily offended moved to the next target.

While i agree with the statement that children should have special protection in video games and shouldnt be allowed to be slaughtered or sacrificed, i dont think that we should change major story elements after a game got released, especially since this is a videogame for 16+ year old people

Tl;dr: In my opinion the devs should NOT change it.

ipQfMEW.jpg

Edited by AlterKnacker
  • Like 1

Another one?... Why they don't complain about game of thrones where a pregnant woman got stabbed to death?... This is getting silly really Obsidian don't care about them... Or we will end to have scenes like  people making a shower in underwear... and that is pathetic to see

• Like 4

Guess that's the next thing they'll secretly patch out since twitter now dictates what content goes in a game.

i dont think so. That would be HUGE. Its a major part of the main story and the sidequest in act 3.

Also you cant speak of the "next" thing because they didnt remove the "transmisogynistic joke", or did they? I heard they just replaced it.

Edited by AlterKnacker

This my friend is called hijacking. Don't give in, their only goal is to use the game as an excuse to voice their political opinion louder. They don't give a damn about PoE, they just found a new battlefield. SJWs and anti-SJWs just love to fight and raise scandals.

• Like 18

Quick, remove it! And don't include it in the patch notes, because then people might notice.

This my friend is called hijacking. Don't give in, their only goal is to use the game as an excuse to voice their political opinion louder. They don't give a damn about PoE, they just found a new battlefield. SJWs and anti-SJWs just love to fight and raise scandals.

I have yet to see "Anti-SJWs" raising scandals. I've seen them object to turn non-issues into "issues", but by their nature, they do not raise any by themselves. You are however right that this is nothing but hijacking - these people, self-appointed social justice warriors that have monetized the act of being offended and made it into a political tool.

They have no interest in the quality or integrity of the game, and none of them are interested in gaming as a medium. They are interested in pushing an agenda, promoting a political dogma, and peddling their filth, not gaming, and certainly not Pillars of Eternity as a whole.

But now, these Twitter lunatics and errant tumblrites apparently dictate policy. This was already pointed out in the discussion about the Memorial.

The Memorial in question was one of the extremely few that weren't complete garbage, that would actually have fitted into the game, or any old-school RPG. When all others passed the mustard, this one was singled out, despite that, because of these lunatics, who didn't care about any of that, and were then catered to by Obsidian and Sawyer.

The game features themes and situations including incest, meticulously slow and deliberate murder, human sacrifice, and child abuse. This is just the top of the iceberg. All of it is very well written, very well made, and the game is rated M for mature. Yet this ultimately small-time thing was singled out by a very specific group of defective people and pushed.

Nevermind the child sacrifice. Nevermind the child abuse. Nevermind the growing insanity. Nevermind the fact that thousands of children have been turned either into soulless husks that don't even cry, ruining families, or into crazed abominations imbued with the twisted and deranged souls of animals forced from their natural form.

Nevermind all of that, because this nobody somewhere is offended and probably triggered.

If the memorial, the very definition of a ****ing non-issue, is catered to and the offended coddled, then this, the issue that the game actually allows you to not only beat children, but to sacririce them, an issue with far greater substance and which could warrant much greater discussion, actually has a very real and valid point.

I think that point should be dismissed completely. Let's be clear on that. But if the memorial is addressed, how can this not possibly be addressed, without this being the height of hypocrisy? Why is a fitting non-issue of a joke that can be ignored addressed, when the issue of very real child murder is just glanced over?

**** these people. All of them. The SJW:s throwing a hissyfit over nothing and the vagrant tumblrites and the twitter mothers complaining about child murder. A lot of people sponsored this game so that it could be an M-rated game, so that it would be free from censorship and the involvement of crazy marketing schemes and interest groups.

But now, apparently, "the offended" are setting policy. "The offended", whether they play the game or not. Whether they contributed or not. And I insist that if this is the new policy, Obsidian and Paradox shouldn't be hypocrites about it.

Sawyer responded personally the last time. He should do so again. But he won't. And we all know that. But it's still worth pointing out. We insist. Go on.

Edited by Luckmann
  • Like 29

t50aJUd.jpg

Guest BugsVendor

This type of stuff is out of control.

Why oh why is it OK in the books, TV series, theatre plays. ANYTHING goes for all the other forms of expression.

Why should the games be any different ?

YOU DON'T LIKE IT ? DON'T PLAY IT.

While i agree with the statement that children should have special protection in video games and shouldnt be allowed to be slaughtered or sacrificed

Why?

Actually when i think about it theres no real reason for it, except maybe ethical  / moral reasons, because children are innocent etc. and they cant defend themself against grown up persons

Well you don't "have" to kill the kiddo - plus the game basically stops you and says "hey, yo, there is totally a different way to do this, you really don't have to kill a kid - that'd be kinda messed up right?"  but then you of course can do it anyways. 

Although this wouldn't be the first time a game has had children get in the way of a quest - in fallout one you *typically* have to murder a child to prevent him from being a witness to you killing a bunch of people, of course there was also a way out of that - you could talk to the kid over and over again and force him to walk out of visual range of your murders lol.   You could also be mean to him and make him run away lol.  Or you could just make Ian do it. 

As far as Obsidian goes - this is something I'm sure they were ready for/knew about in advance since they put children in the game at all to begin with. 

Edited by Gallenger
  • Like 1

This type of stuff is out of control.

Why oh why is it OK in the books, TV series, theatre plays. ANYTHING goes for all the other forms of expression.

Why should the games be any different ?

YOU DON'T LIKE IT ? DON'T PLAY IT.

Got to second this post :)

• Like 1

I'm a racist white guy and other races trigger me. Please delete anything but Meadow Folk from Pillars.

• Like 17

"The Courier was the worst of all of them. The worst by far. When he died the first time, he must have met the devil, and then killed him."

Is your mom hot? It may explain why guys were following her ?

Guess that's the next thing they'll secretly patch out since twitter now dictates what content goes in a game.

i dont think so. That would be HUGE. Its a major part of the main story and the sidequest in act 3.

Also you cant speak of the "next" thing because they didnt remove the "transmisogynistic joke", or did they? I heard they just replaced it.

The joke was removed and a new joke took its place that made fun of the situation. 

Hopefully this won't escelate to the same level of outrage that the previous one did. 

Edited by ChipMHazard

Mods, lock and then delete this thread pls.  The OP is only actually help spin the wheels for these idiots.

Can't well all just be grown up and ignore this crap....by debating it pointlessly, you're just as bad.

Edited by Maviarab
  • Like 2