[1.03] Minor bugs and some words about the (poor) optimization

fabc

Question

First off, thank you for your amazing game and your big 1.03 patch.

Minor bugs : 

- some loading screens have no text/advices (I play on mac, french version)

- I can hear footsteps when my party has already reached the destination.

- (Important) When I bought a new spell (Ghost blades) in the grimoire of Ludrana, the spell disappeared from the book. 

- (not sure) In the raedric's hold when I try to reach the prison from the stronghold, I can't open the door near the stairs (in the prison level), it only works on the other side.

So now, let's talk about the real issue in my opinion : your game is not optimized.

I had like 20-25 fps, then I reached the Dyrwood tavern with my party of 6 (+ 1 pet) people and I can't ignore anymore the framerate issue. In some cases like the Dyrwood tavern, I have like 15 fps (or less maybe ?). This is insane for an "infinity" game, nearly unplayable, certainly not enjoyable. All of this because of your 3D models technology.

I don't care about your fancy shaders, the complexity of the modelisation for an isometric CRPG. You put some effort to make something pretty, which is good, but you can't ignore those who bought the game on your promises (a game that can work on low end pc). Few months ago the minimum requirement mentioned a Pentium 4 CPU and it suddenly changed to Intel Core i3, it's unfair. And now when someone's complaining, even with a good PC configuration, about overheating CPU, you just say "hmmm, have you cleaned your cooling fans ?" and talk about anti-aliasing or screen resolution like it was the only issue and solution. When I read that, I feel you're considering some players like idiots.

In my case (Macbook pro OSX 10.9.5, Intel Core 2 Duo 2,53ghz, 8go DDR3, Geforce 9600M GT 512mo), disabling anti-aliasing and reducing my screen resolution does really nothing to my framerate issue.

Voilà, I said all my thoughts. Now I just wait to see your efforts on optimization (Unity 5 ???, lower your 3D models complexity ?)

Edited by fabc

2 answers to this question

So now, let's talk about the real issue in my opinion : your game is not optimized.

While I'd agree on the performance front, I'd also say that fixing bugs and problems should come first - once the major problems are fixed, then look at the performance.

As I noted elsewhere, this game is display-wise very similar to Beyond Divinity and the system specs for that were an 800MHz PIII, 256MB RAM and a 64MB graphics card. Slimming Unity3D down to those levels probably isn't on, but it should be possible to make it less wasteful on the hardware front.

And whoever decided to recommend 8GB RAM for a game that maxes out at 1.6GB (on my WinXP SP3 setup) deserves to be flailed with a RAM heatsink (preferably one of the high-end ones wilth lots of spikes...) - especially since 32-bit PoE could not ever use more than 4GB RAM even on a 64-bit OS.