A seperate sub forum for modding

I think we should decide now whether or not PoE modding gets its own sub forum on here. Before any mod tools release and any mods get swamped under all the discussions in General. We already have a couple mods appearing over the hill (IE mod, Companion Respec mod)

So anyone in favour/opposed?

Edited by Bhazor
  • Like 12

If we get modding tools they will be third-party, due to the nature of Unity Engine. I wouldn't hold my breath for mods that add new locations either, since that's gonna be tough as heck to do. Probably will see a ton of mods that add new companions, items, balance changes and the like as those are easier to do (though probably not as easy as IE games).

The mod forum will probably come, when there's much more discussion about modding in general. Right now there's very few mods and not a lot of discussion about it. That'll most likely change as more people beat the game.

The mod forum will probably come, when there's much more discussion about modding in general. Right now there's very few mods and not a lot of discussion about it. That'll most likely change as more people beat the game.

Considering the sheer size of the IE modding community even today, the number of mods released by day seven, and the fact that backers have been modding PoE since before the game actually released, I get the feeling that your concerns are unfounded.

(But yeah, unfortunately, a Weidu successor seems unlikely due to Unity.)

If I'm typing in red, it means I'm being sarcastic. But not this time.

Dark green, on the other hand, is for jokes and irony in general.

Unity is not modding unfriendly - Where does this flawed myth comes from? The engine is very moddable - As moddable as the developers will let you make it.

Just look at Cities: Skylines - They've allowed for .dll and very unrestrictive mono modding. People have already revamped the interface, changed pretty basic mechanics and added content.

• Like 2

Unity is not modding unfriendly - Where does this flawed myth comes from? The engine is very moddable - As moddable as the developers will let you make it.

Just look at Cities: Skylines - They've allowed for .dll and very unrestrictive mono modding. People have already revamped the interface, changed pretty basic mechanics and added content.

The benefits of allowing modding in your game are enormous.

Developers of a CRPG in 2015 that don't support mods have missed the bus, totally. :-\

And we can't blame the publisher as we can in Dragon Age Inquisition either. 

• Like 1

I don't really understand why modding in this case would be ultra-complex and would be lacking an accessible modding tool. For one, the mixture of 3D effects and 2D backgrounds should make it easy enough to place things on the map, block or enable paths, set location markers and design (scripted) interactions. Secondly, with access to the background layers and the individual assets placed there (there are hundreds, if not thousands of objects that have been copy-pasted in this game; not a complaint, just an observation), anyone with a good grasp on Photoshop will be able to mash up new areas comparably easy.

And we already have a character creation tool in the game itself. Exporting a slimmed-down version of that into a modding tool ought to be possible. I, for one, certainly would welcome a tool allowing me some in-depth modding. I certainly have some stories written down ready to be told that would fit right in.

anyone with a good grasp on Photoshop will be able to mash up new areas comparably easy.

Unfortunately it's not quite that simple, areas also have depth and normal maps, and implementing proper pathing could get complicated.

anyone with a good grasp on Photoshop will be able to mash up new areas comparably easy.

Unfortunately it's not quite that simple, areas also have depth and normal maps, and implementing proper pathing could get complicated.

Largely depends on how pathing is handled in any possible mod tool or in the Unity engine in general. And what objects are actually 3D, ie. need/have depth maps? Would it not be comparably easy to handle them, as in placing 3D meshes on a 2D background? Isn't that what navmeshing in, say, the Bethesda Creation Kit amounts to: showing the NPCs where they can and cannot move to?

Anyway, I suppose the answer to all this is: depends on how much time they decide to spend on any kind of editor. But I believe we can agree that a competent modding tool can keep a good game alive for years to come, right?

Edited by Posbi

Largely depends on how pathing is handled in any possible mod tool or in the Unity engine in general. And what objects are actually 3D, ie. need/have depth maps? Would it not be comparably easy to handle them, as in placing 3D meshes on a 2D background? Isn't that what navmeshing in, say, the Bethesda Creation Kit amounts to: showing the NPCs where they can and cannot move to?

Anyway, I suppose the answer to all this is: depends on how much time they decide to spend on any kind of editor. But I believe we can agree that a competent modding tool can keep a good game alive for years to come, right?

2D backgrounds have depth and normal maps - that's how dynamic lighting and changing water levels work - and that's something that has to be imported from a 3D rendering software, so you can't just photoshop different area graphics together. Same is true of occlusion information.

I'm not saying creating new areas is impossible, it's just really, really complicated. Quite possibly too complicated for us to see any significant custom maps within the next few years.

I agree with op.

Having trouble with the games combat on POTD, Trial of Iron?

- Hurtin bomb droppin MONK - [MONK BUILD] - [CLICK HERE]

- Think Rangers suck? You're wrong - [RANGER BUILD] + Tactics/Strategies - [CLICK HERE]

- Fighter Heavy Tank - [FIGHTER BUILD] + Tactics/Strategies - [CLICK HERE]

Despite what I may post, I'm a huge fan of Pillars of Eternity, it's one of my favorite RPG's.

Anita Sarkeesian keeps Bioware's balls in a jar on her shelf.