It's not worth it. I wasted 2 hours today to find out that I still want to kill their useless bodies and loot them for their unique items and sell the rest for decent level 1 companions. It's truly sad. Waiting 2.5 years after dumping $100 for companions that are just BLAH or the alternative, not hearing the story the developers put so much time and effort into? It's depressing. Truly. 

I haven't gotten that far yet but I'll give you the stats of the companions so far so you can judge for yourself.

Mig Con Dex Per Int Res

Edér    16  16  11  12  10  13

Aloth   12  10  15  12  16  13

Durance 14  13  9   9   15  19

Kana    16  12  9   14  17  10

Sagani  15  12  15  13  13  10

Personally I don't think they are that bad but then again I'm not really the min-maxer type ;-)

(Edit: Forgot to remove Kana's Turban)

Edited by Grunch
  • Like 1

IEmod on ability & talent selection via ChangeClasss is sufficient imo. Attributes fit the companions' personality, might not be very efficient, but i don't think they are that important

Edited by pstone

I really wish there was an option to level them up yourself after you pick them up.

I know you can fool around with the IE mod, but even so, it'd be nice if Obsidian would give players control over it without any mods. :)

Question:

I've been using the IE mod to update the NPCs attributes but I noticed something funny.

Are the stats published here and other threads just the base stats? Or do they include racial/background stats?

Because say for Pallegina i saw 14 per(-1 after patch) and 15 res(+1 after patch). But mine is already with those stats after I patched, without changing. Her Perception says 14 Base, +0 Elusive Quarry (whats that?) And her Resolve says 15 Base

Now with Eder, you say his stats should be 12 per(+2), 10 int(-3) 13 res(+1).  His base  resolve shows me 10 base, +1 human, +1 dyrwood. So to change do i put in 11 or 13?

same with Con for Hiravias (+1 Eir Glanfath) and Aloth (+1 dex, per from elf)

Then use a custom wizard, Odd Hermit. All the companions are perfectly viable in the game, if you want to min-max you have custom adventurers for that. Companions are there for story and character, and their attributes reflect their character, not your play style.

• Like 1

"You're a fool if you believe I would trust your benevolence. Step aside and you and your lackeys will be unhurt."

Baldur's Gate portraits for Pillars of Eternity   IXI   Icewind Dale portraits for Pillars of Eternity   IXI   Icewind Dale 2 portraits for Pillars of Eternity

[slap Aloth]

I like to think that they're not perfect rounded robots. They have their own personalities, flaws, bad choices and problems like everybody else and the influence of the watcher helped them make better choices in their life's.

So yeah, I like min/maxing, but I also love roleplaying. I think that these flawed companions are the perfect way to combine this.

Of course you can't do ironman PotD with them, but yet, hard is absolutely doable.

Then use a custom wizard, Odd Hermit. All the companions are perfectly viable in the game, if you want to min-max you have custom adventurers for that. Companions are there for story and character, and their attributes reflect their character, not your play style.

Their attributes are just numbers and wouldn't change their character in any way if they were distributed better. It's an entirely arbitrary connection. Especially considering how many iterations they've gone through giving various bonuses.

I like to think that they're not perfect rounded robots. They have their own personalities, flaws, bad choices and problems like everybody else and the influence of the watcher helped them make better choices in their life's.

So yeah, I like min/maxing, but I also love roleplaying. I think that these flawed companions are the perfect way to combine this.

Of course you can't do ironman PotD with them, but yet, hard is absolutely doable.

You could still even do ironman PotD with them it just is far from optimal.

Edited by Odd Hermit

IEmod on ability & talent selection via ChangeClasss is sufficient imo. Attributes fit the companions' personality, might not be very efficient, but i don't think they are that important

Well.. they used to. They changed them because the Attributes many CNPC:s had were terrible choices, rather than fixing the issues with the Attribute bonuses, so that's not really true anymore.

t50aJUd.jpg

Anyone has an answer to my question? Are the updated stats Base stats only or do they include the racial bonuses?

Also, what is Elusive Quarry on Pallegina?

They include the racial bonuses

Elusive Quarry is +10 defense against ranged attacks - which I believe applies mainly to weapons but judging how implement talents work with a bunch of spells it might work against some missile style spells too.

Anyone has an answer to my question? Are the updated stats Base stats only or do they include the racial bonuses?

Also, what is Elusive Quarry on Pallegina?

Elusive Quarry is one of the abilities she picks up. It grants specific bonuses under certain (combat) circumstances and no bonus the rest of the time. Just go to her character sheet, scroll down to the bottom and you'll see it listed. Clicking on it will bring up the description of what it does (which, if I remember correctly, is +10 deflection from ranged attacks, +3 Percpetion while her Endurance is below 50% and +10 Defense when disengaging when her Endurance is below 50%.

As for your first question.. I don't recall. I would assume (and might be wrong) in that they include the racial bonuses.

Ok thanks. Thats weird then, since it looks like my Pallegina's stats got updated retroactively with the patch, while the others didn't.

Also the reason i asked about elusive quarry was because i didnt see it on her char sheet, and on the attribute it was listed as giving +0

Ok thanks. Thats weird then, since it looks like my Pallegina's stats got updated retroactively with the patch, while the others didn't.

I noticed this as well and wondered if it was not just a typo from a forum post that continues to propagate.