First person to create walk/run toggle mod gets a cookie

Good idea.  I'll see if that's possible.  It would be easier than figuring out how to add a walk/run toggle button ;)

Hey bman, I'm going to cross-post a mod request from over at the Codex:

Not for lack of work to do on your end, but I'd like to suggest a new toggle-able option for the IE Mod: "Path of the Damned stat and ability modifications for creatures". That way we can play with PotD spawns without the buffs, and vice-versa. Or Normal difficulty spawns with buffed creatures. Either way, these aren't options supported by the vanilla game.

Is that something you'd be interested in tackling? It would let users fine-tune the combat difficulty even more so than they can now.

Thank you!

When will we get modding forum already?

Not for lack of work to do on your end, but I'd like to suggest a new toggle-able option for the IE Mod: "Path of the Damned stat and ability modifications for creatures". That way we can play with PotD spawns without the buffs, and vice-versa. Or Normal difficulty spawns with buffed creatures. Either way, these aren't options supported by the vanilla game.

That's a really good idea. Or it would be cool to have an additional PotD+ option, with even MORE stat updates. (Because some believe even PotD is too easy). Now the question is - how easy it is to modify encounters? Because if you have to modify every single entry it will be sooo much work... 

I uninstalled until they put it in. How is it a 5 year olds answer that npcs can walk

And the player cannot? That bothers me a large amount and makes the game look stupid.

I can't remember the last time I ran in a bar to talk to someone or ran in someone's house to talk to them

So stupid.

I can fully understand this! I deinstalled the game today because its not possible to scratch my PC´s ass. As long there is no fix for this i stay away from this game and tell everybody that PIllars sucks.

• Like 1

I just tried out the latest IE mod with the walk speed and faster stealth options.

Good stuff... works as advertised.

Any chance on making characters/party run on double-click, like in Fallout 2?  Or, at least a walk/run toggle key?

Good idea.  I'll see if that's possible.  It would be easier than figuring out how to add a walk/run toggle button ;)

Thanks a ton bman, - and I second the notion of double-click to run.

I vastly prefer walking everywhere to running everywhere, and in walk mode, double speed suffices for getting around faster.

But having both run and walk options in addition to double speed is of course, best.

Played around with walking on a bit, and I like it, except for long distances :) I think the perfect way would be - clicking to a point in the radius of 10 game meters around the character makes him walk the distance to this point, more than 10 m. - run. If it is possible and the game recognizes such things. 

Is the walking mod any good? Anyone use it yet and want to give a review

Its great, characters .... walk - plus all the other good stuff in the IE Mod.

Just use double speed for long distances.

I love this mod, but the walking looks a bit stilted already and putting it on double speed kind of defeats the purpose of the mod as it looks ridiculous and is way more immersion breaking than simply running everywhere. We need a toggle :)

I always feel like I'm walking when in stealth mode, though i guess its a little strange sneaking around town.  I never would have considered this an issue for people, but I'm surprised by people every day.  Not sure how you would quit the game over this though, seems absurd to me.

Edited by Seeders

Is the walking mod any good? Anyone use it yet and want to give a review

Its great, characters .... walk - plus all the other good stuff in the IE Mod.

Just use double speed for long distances.

I love this mod, but the walking looks a bit stilted already and putting it on double speed kind of defeats the purpose of the mod as it looks ridiculous and is way more immersion breaking than simply running everywhere. We need a toggle :)

Yeah I agree about the toggle of course, but when I say I use double speed sometimes, its usually in map view watching green dots move from one end of the map to another, so no worries about the animations for me!

I just tried out the latest IE mod with the walk speed and faster stealth options.

Any chance on making characters/party run on double-click, like in Fallout 2?  Or, at least a walk/run toggle key?

So I tried out v4.10, and the toggle key works as advertised.  It's usable in its current state, so that's cool.

If running on double-click isn't possible, would it be possible to have it walk based on distance?  Like.... 10 meters or so?  Or maybe just walk when you click on an interative object (pick up loot, activate switch, talk to someone, etc)?

I was thinking I could implement a run on doubleclick via an autohotkey script... I'll post what I come up with.

• Like 1

So I tried out v4.10, and the toggle key works as advertised.  It's usable in its current state, so that's cool.

If running on double-click isn't possible, would it be possible to have it walk based on distance?  Like.... 10 meters or so?  Or maybe just walk when you click on an interative object (pick up loot, activate switch, talk to someone, etc)?

I was thinking I could implement a run on doubleclick via an autohotkey script... I'll post what I come up with.

I've come round to think the toggle is actually better than a double-click, since in those instances where you want to run, you can still precisely set up your formation with RMB, then hit the toggle to run to the exact indicated spots, even toggling back to walk mid-stream if you want without having to select a new destination.

Double LMB would always result in the formation shifting a bit which would annoy me no end...

As far as distance based or interaction based I think that's getting a bit too complicated, and doesn't really solve any problems that the toggle doesn't...

• Like 1

I've come round to think the toggle is actually better than a double-click...

Well, here's an autohotkey script that makes it work well enough using double-click to run (a la Fallout 2):

#NoEnv  ; Recommended for performance and compatibility with future AutoHotkey releases.
SendMode Input  ; Recommended for new scripts due to its superior speed and reliability.
SetWorkingDir %A_ScriptDir%  ; Ensures a consistent starting directory.

isRunning = 0
walkToggleKey := "["

#IfWinActive Pillars of Eternity ahk_class UnityWndClass

~LButton::
{ 
    if ((A_TimeSincePriorHotkey < 180) && (A_TimeSincePriorHotkey > 0))
    { 
        Send {%walkToggleKey%}
        isRunning = 1
        Return
    }

if (isRunning == 1)
    {
        Send {%walkToggleKey%}
        isRunning = 0
    }

Return
}

... change walkToggleKey to whatever, and turn on walk mode manually just once (otherwise, it'll do the exact opposite -- walk on double-click).  

It would work slightly better if two more hotkeys existed: WalkMode: On, and a Walk Mode: Off
... but this really does work well enough for me, so I'm happy -- and I could always improve it slightly by using a screen tap if I feel the need.

Any chance of adding the option to disable the combat log text upon toggling?

Edited by Daemonjax
  • Like 2

The toggle key works great. I can´t believe the developers decided to drop this. I could expect that from an streamlined action game, but not from this one. I think that developers and beta testers tend to play compulsively, looking for bugs and gameplay issues, and they forget that many people will do only one big playthrough, smeling the roses during the way.

Edited by Vanant
  • Like 3

The toggle key works great. I can´t believe the developers decided to drop this...

Yeah I wonder that as well, the animations are there, the code is there, - so why sit down at the table and say...

'walking, yeah that's definitely gotta go.'

• Like 1