First person to create walk/run toggle mod gets a cookie

I seriously doubt he (or anyone really) has any problem if they would add a walking option.

The "problem" here is people saying they can't play the game without it. I mean come on, if thats what it takes to make the game good for you, you just dont care about the game

Edited by RevBlue

I seriously doubt he (or anyone really) has any problem if they would add a walking option.

The "problem" here is people saying they can't play the game without it. I mean come on, if thats what it takes to make the game good for you, you just dont care about the game

This thread isn't about them. Lets not make it about them.

If we didn´t care about the game, we´d be playing other games, not asking for an update. And the "problem", in any case, is ours, not for the random posters that apparently know how we should play games.

Or perhaps they care about it too much? 

I personally don't see the issue with people claiming they don't want to play at all unless they can walk, even if I find that hard to relate to myself. I prefer to respect that that's their preference and prerogative.

In any event, aren't those people a very small subset of all those who would like a walking option or would enjoy having the option? 

Options are good... and there's cookies involved.

My conclusion in the subject is that if some people believes that the lack of walking in a game where walking is needless affects the inmersion, then the inmersion word has been completely distorted.

Inmersion is not about being realistic, consistent or with x or y feature. Inmersion is about being abstracted of the real world. Tetris is a game that is most inmersive than many games and you cannot walk. If people believes that walking makes the game more inmersive, then think it twice and think if the reason you feel better is having a better inmersion or having a whim granted.

Coming from someone who played NWN2 Multiplayer for years where they had run/walk toggle, I can say that I certainly used this all the time, as did most other players. I even leave my off hands empty in game to switch out weapons to hands when I'm in civilized parts of the world. The fact that I have to run all the time is quite annoying and I recall on more than a handful of occasions muttering under my breath about my party running all the damned time. Some of us like to sit back and be perspective about what we see in the game and not let the game tell us. Hell I even sit back and make notes in my journal about interesting aspects of the game. Like when you get to the strong hold, and there's that house surrounded by five protruding points with ridges and twirls upon them, I opened up my journal and wrote about how they appeared to be fingers. Lo and behold, the game makes mention of that not much later.

I've implemented a "walking when not in combat" mod (because I assume you don't mind running once combat starts  :aiee:).  Rather than building it stand-alone (and thus incompatible with IE Mod), I've incorporated it into the IE Mod.  It should be available once Bester accepts the submission. 

• Like 8

I've implemented a "walking when not in combat" mod (because I assume you don't mind running once combat starts  :aiee:).  Rather than building it stand-alone (and thus incompatible with IE Mod), I've incorporated it into the IE Mod.  It should be available once Bester accepts the submission. 

:bow: This, combined with double speed for backtracking moments, would do the work for me.

Edited by Vanant

Modders are saints.

Thank you!  :woot:

I assume/hope it's an in-game toggle, so we have the option to either walk or run as we like?

My wizard that has boots of speed +3 and the ability selected that gives +1 speed has a walking animation when I move the whole party.
:)
All have a running animation except the wizard who walks.

all I need is 5 more pair of boots of speed +3 to have  a walking animation for whole party :)

Edited by Grotesque

After my realization that White March has the same XP reward problem, I don't even have the drive to launch game anymore because I hated so much reaching Twin Elms with a level cap in vanilla PoE that I don't wish to relive that experience.

thank you!!

Great commit. I hope I merged everything correctly, I never used version control before tbh.

The reason it took 2 days is because nobody made pull requests before, so I never bothered checking. The only reason I noticed this one is because someone mentioned it to me on another forum. Don't be sneaky next time. icon_wink.gif

IE Mod for Pillars of Eternity: link

On the other hand, I want something to make my party move *faster*. Even faster than double speed, thank you.

How can anyone in their right mind try to ship a multimillion dollar product without making absolutely sure that they don't upset all their players with a degree in Medieval English Linguistics?

I just tried out the latest IE mod with the walk speed and faster stealth options.

Good stuff... works as advertised.

Any chance on making characters/party run on double-click, like in Fallout 2?  Or, at least a walk/run toggle key?

For sneaking, I think I'm going to stick with the default speed because the animation looks too strange (the sneak animation plays at original frames per second, while moving at a running speed).  It is what it is, though.  Working as advertised.  

Would it be possible to remove the redundant semi-transparency effect from party members that are in stealth mode?

Edited by Daemonjax
  • Like 1

I just tried out the latest IE mod with the walk speed and faster stealth options.

Any chance on making characters/party run on double-click, like in Fallout 2?  Or, at least a walk/run toggle key?

Good idea.  I'll see if that's possible.  It would be easier than figuring out how to add a walk/run toggle button ;)

• Like 3

Good idea.  I'll see if that's possible.  It would be easier than figuring out how to add a walk/run toggle button ;)

YW.  I'm full of good ideas, btw. ;)

Can anyone explain to me why many people are so freaked out about not being able to walk? What's the point?

And PLEASE don't say its because the NPCs in the world can walk, please prove to me there is an answer better than a 5 year old's

Immersion for some people me included.. Immersion is the key in a RPG pillars of eternity is immersive enough but a walk run toggle button can made the exploration most enjoyable for us...

Is a matter of make live the character you play.. Also is silly the characters always run