First person to create walk/run toggle mod gets a cookie

Chocolate chip cookies

----------------------
Edit: (from a post later in this thread)

Hey y'all! I just wanted to let you know that the ability to walk has been implemented into the IE Mod located here: http://rien-ici.com/iemod/pillars_of_eternity

In addition, the mod has many other nice features that help to restore the feel of the old Infinity Engine. I hope that you enjoy it. original.gif

Edited by LadyCrimson
link to mod added by request

Can anyone explain to me why many people are so freaked out about not being able to walk? What's the point?

And PLEASE don't say its because the NPCs in the world can walk, please prove to me there is an answer better than a 5 year old's

• Like 3

Don't hold your breath on this being addressed in a mod - you'd need entire new animations. I know Bester & Sensuki tried applying the generic walking animation NPC:s use, but it looks super-duper awkward with weapons drawn and in armour and so on.

t50aJUd.jpg

Can anyone explain to me why many people are so freaked out about not being able to walk? What's the point?

And PLEASE don't say its because the NPCs in the world can walk, please prove to me there is an answer better than a 5 year old's

For me its immersion.

Although I don't like that word (to me, it's used like it's some sort of trump card in gaming arguments because some focus group found it resonates well or something), I agree 100%. Maybe because I don't like running, but it just seems wrong that my character would run very often at all, much less after getting in a fight or going somewhere she's never been before. I wouldn't do it in real life, and walking just feels "natural" when exploring.

I won't attempt to speak for anyone else, yet hopefully I can provide some insight into why this feature is important to me personally, though I would hardly describe myself as freaked out (it matters enough to me that I'll wait a few months in the hope it'll be patched in, yet I could play the game right now and enjoy it).

I like to immerse myself into the world of rich RPGs, to feel like I am there in that fantastically beautiful and atmospheric land, evoked so vividly in my mind and imagination as a game like Pillars is capable of. I enjoy feeling like I am my character, or am 'there' with the party as we gather and venture forth to explore new and exotic places, or simply wander the increasingly familiar streets as we go about our business, adventuring. I like to slow down and breath when in the relative safety of towns or quiet moments, when we need not hasten and run, imperilled by our adventures. I like to take my time browsing the stores when spending our hard-earned loot and enjoy the local sights (those luscious 2D-painterly environments that become a living world).

I find it discordant when I am unable to slow my pace to the 'reality' of the game world, when all other NPCs move differently I feel less a part of their world. Indeed, it is now their world and I am merely playing in it (please don't read me too literally here), no longer immersed in a world but playing a game. 

And when playing a game there is a tendency to sometimes rush through content, as efficiency and the too sorrowful constraints of time and pressure of real-life urges one on to achieve and complete. Sometimes I find myself  as if under a hastened spell, running through a dungeon, and must take pause to breath and feel alive again. As in life, as in game. Immersion in an RPG is like this for me. One of the primary reasons I play RPGs is for an oasis away from the mad rat-race of adult life in my society - I take a long time to finish games, though my time is precious, savouring the experience. I don't want to be running everywhere.

Btw, I assume we can all agree that including this feature would make the game better, even if our preferences accord it varying priority.

• Like 10

I uninstalled until they put it in. How is it a 5 year olds answer that npcs can walk

And the player cannot? That bothers me a large amount and makes the game look stupid.

I can't remember the last time I ran in a bar to talk to someone or ran in someone's house to talk to them

So stupid.

In baldurs gate it wasn't ever an issue because the move animations were more walking oriented.

In this game you really look like your running the mile to go buy a drink or to do anything.

If you cannot see this or notice it you lack the ability to observe basic out of place things.

• Like 1

I just can not play, until I can walk. I try, but not being able to perform basic move that you do when travel. It is just, too much. I do not want anyone to understand it. I just want it as an option to have, for freaks like me. And thanks gods there are people like me.  

I did not want to post anything, but if large number of posts could speed up things, it would be awesome.

Please have mercy add walk toggle.  

Please do not hate me.

Don't hold your breath on this being addressed in a mod - you'd need entire new animations. I know Bester & Sensuki tried applying the generic walking animation NPC:s use, but it looks super-duper awkward with weapons drawn and in armour and so on.

...interesting...and I wonder why they chose to use generic NPC's animations instead of the one the PC uses. You know when you enter Gilded Vale:)

And it is isometric game...it is not Inquisition or Destiny or something that have to look very nice....

Edit: you know it is interesting if the PC don't have walking animation and only NPCs do....that means you are possessing somebody! 

...does that mean you died when the scary storm came and you died right then and there....

Edited by lyin321

I uninstalled until they put it in. How is it a 5 year olds answer that npcs can walk

And the player cannot?

How? Because saying "He has it so I want it too!!" Is the way a 5 year old acts.

Now the whole "it helps my immersion" thing i can respect if not really get. I mean really, stop playing a game just for THAT? Sounds to me like you just don't like the game and looking for a reason to stop, because if nothing else in the game grips you then walking probably wont either

Edited by RevBlue

Actually the game is very well done aside from the stealth and the walking issue. I just won't

Play until these things are changed. And if they don't get changed well then I just move on. To bad

For me I guess. Will just find another game

/sigh Ugh I didn't delete everything and now can't edit....so to finish the thought:

And it is isometric game...it is not Inquisition or Destiny or something that (the walking) have to look very nice....to be honest the scripted walk looks as bad as the normal run so.....but maybe they have problems with the cloak animation or something like that...

For me its immersion.

Although I don't like that word (to me, it's used like it's some sort of trump card in gaming arguments because some focus group found it resonates well or something), I agree 100%. Maybe because I don't like running, but it just seems wrong that my character would run very often at all, much less after getting in a fight or going somewhere she's never been before. I wouldn't do it in real life, and walking just feels "natural" when exploring.

I'm only speaking for myself, but I just like to stop sometimes in game and immerse myself into my characters shoes. It just seems to limit me as a gamer when I can't press a button to toggle between walking and running. It's a feature that isn't uncommon in other games, and when it's missing I really notice it. It limits my immersion in a game. Hard to consider a role playing game that limits a way I role play, even something so simple as walking or running. I'm not trying to be petty or nitpicky even. That's pretty much my only issue with this game. It doesn't ruin the overall experience, but my experience would have been significantly better with a walk/run toggle. I hope that explains my position better and I'm not going to argue with anyone. I know I'm not the only one with the issue. I know it's not a big deal for other people. I'm just one of those that feels that games are as much about those playing them as they are about slaying dragons or saving the universe. If it's too much to ask for a walk/run toggle be implemented after I paid for the game, then I apologize.

• Like 2

And the player cannot?

How? Because saying "He has it so I want it too!!" Is the way a 5 year old acts.

Now the whole "it helps my immersion" thing i can respect if not really get. I mean really, stop playing a game just for THAT? Sounds to me like you just don't like the game and looking for a reason to stop, because if nothing else in the game grips you then walking probably wont either

Lol, really, threatening evryone to be a five year old just because he use simple logic is awesome, internet is awesome, you are awesome.

My conclusion in the subject is that if some people believes that the lack of walking in a game where walking is needless affects the inmersion, then the inmersion word has been completely distorted.

Inmersion is not about being realistic, consistent or with x or y feature. Inmersion is about being abstracted of the real world. Tetris is a game that is most inmersive than many games and you cannot walk. If people believes that walking makes the game more inmersive, then think it twice and think if the reason you feel better is having a better inmersion or having a whim granted.

• Like 2

My conclusion in the subject is that if some people believes that the lack of walking in a game where walking is needless affects the inmersion, then the inmersion word has been completely distorted.

Inmersion is not about being realistic, consistent or with x or y feature. Inmersion is about being abstracted of the real world. Tetris is a game that is most inmersive than many games and you cannot walk. If people believes that walking makes the game more inmersive, then think it twice and think if the reason you feel better is having a better inmersion or having a whim granted.

That is just your opinion man.

Fact is so many people come on some thread they have nothing to do just to flame and arass other people, go get a therapist and be off.

Walking/running as been in every RPG for a long time, you can't bear that ? We don't give a ****

• Like 1

That is just your opinion man.

Fact is so many people come on some thread they have nothing to do just to flame and arass other people, go get a therapist and be off.

Walking/running as been in every RPG for a long time, you can't bear that ? We don't give a ****

Well, the fact that inmersion is how the user is able to abstract from the real world and take the rules of what they are doing as if they were real is not an opinion, but the description of inmersion from a psychogy point of view.

That walking and running has been in RPG for a long time and you want it to be here as well, suits more the opinion description. No one is judging you for having such an opinion, so no need to be defensive. But the inmersion argument is a falacy.

No one needs to justify an opinion. An opinion is something that needs no justification. What I am pointing to is the justification, which is not valid. I am sure many people will be happy to see their loved mechanic in the game, but do not dress it as something it's not: You are not going to have a more inmersive game for being able to walk. That's not how inmersion works. If you want a more inmersive game, then just point that and I am sure the designer will think about it. If what you want is to be able to walk, then you want to walk.

fry-not-sure-if-trolling.jpg

What word would you prefer... engagement? Absorption? Occupation? Involvement? Leaving pedantry aside, people are simply saying that the ability to walk is important or significant to their enjoyment of the game. What is the problem you have with this?

Regardless, I think you are taking a rather narrow view of the definition of immersion. 

http://www.goodgamesbydesign.com/2011/03/immersion-vs-engagement/

http://www.torkshaw.com/Immersion%20and%20Engagement.pdf

Also, why do you reduce the desire for the ability to walk to the status of a whim? What exactly is capricious about people's desire to be able to walk?