Item not applying benefit upon equipping, but will on some characters

Falkon Swiftblade

Question

Description:

I created a new hero from the inn, I was testing out how some equipment boosted their stats and I noticed a cloak that supposed to give +5 to deflection wasn't being applied. I tried putting it back on the original hero I had the item on and it also didn't change their stats when I swapped it out. When I put it on another party member who was not wearing the equipment at all, it did change as intended.

EDIT: Actually after reloading the saved game the original character with the equipment on it did have the proper effect, but the new guy still doesn't work right.

Steps to Reproduce the Issue:

• Created a monk orlan (non bearded one) level 2 (not sure if that matters) 
  • remove cloak that gives +5 to deflection from previously created hired monk and place it on the new hired monk.
  • You can place the cloak on other characters and it will function correctly, (increase deflection +5) however that item doesn't change the new monks stats, although other items that I equipped do change on him. 
  • I believe i had tried equipping hatchet(s) and those worked, but just not the cloak +5 to deflection. 

Screenshots

Screenshot%202015-04-04%2001.50.38.png?d

https://www.dropbox.com/s/an2ht7edrg70azn/Screenshot%202015-04-04%2001.50.46.png?dl=0

I think you can scroll through the images in the folder, or just click on the link below with the screenshots and saved file.

Important Files:

Note, I have no idea how to find out which saved file is which. I don't even know how to delete old files without deleting the wrong one. I REALLY wish you could name them some how because the best I can do is see the time I saved it, but that's useless unless I just did it because I won't recall some file that's been there for days. Especially if there's multiple saves that day. I've attached what I think is the file of the bug.

System Specs:

Model Name: MacBook Pro
  Model Identifier: MacBookPro5,3
  Processor Name: Intel Core 2 Duo
  Processor Speed: 2.8 GHz
  Number Of Processors: 1
  Total Number Of Cores: 2
  L2 Cache: 6 MB
  Memory: 8 GB
  Bus Speed: 1.07 GHz

NVIDIA GeForce 9600M GT:

Chipset Model: NVIDIA GeForce 9600M GT
  Type: GPU
  Bus: PCIe
  PCIe Lane Width: x16
  VRAM (Total): 512 MB
  Vendor: NVIDIA (0x10de)
  Device ID: 0x0647
  Revision ID: 0x00a1
  ROM Revision: 3448
  gMux Version: 1.8.8
  Displays:
  Color LCD:
  Resolution: 1440 x 900
  Pixel Depth: 32-Bit Color (ARGB8888)

Dropbox link:

https://www.dropbox.com/sh/c9t1c5gfgsja7zs/AABhJoa-CRDajaPnEXGY-hEaa?dl=0

PS If a mod can edit my title to say Cloak of Deflection +5 instead of "item" that would be great thanks.

Edited by Falkon Swiftblade

5 answers to this question

oh, he was wielding a hatchet... but I noticed you could equip 2 hatchets for a bigger deflection increase...?

EDIT:

Aha, I think I know what happened. The new guy was equipped with both a ring of minor deflection +5 and a cloak of minor deflection +5. I was getting confused because I was getting benefits from wielding one or two hatchets that stacked with one item equipped, but the ring and cloak were not giving their bonuses together which I assumed would. Maybe not a bug, but it seems buggy.

Edited by Falkon Swiftblade

I was getting confused because I was getting benefits from wielding one or two hatchets that stacked with one item equipped, but the ring and cloak were not giving their bonuses together which I assumed would. Maybe not a bug, but it seems buggy.

That's not a bug; the deflection bonus from the ring and the cloak are not intended to stack.  Unfortunately this game does not do a very good job of setting expectations with regard to which bonuses will stack and which will not.  You can at least check your character for effects that are not stacking by opening up your character sheet and scrolling down to Active Effects.  Your bonuses will be listed there, and any bonuses that are not stacking will be greyed out and will have the tag "(suppressed)".

I think the rule is this:

The bonus of both your hand slots stack with the highest buff of the rest of your equipment.

The reasoning is that the buffs on weapons/shields are used to distinguish them and if some of them could be overridden by the rest of your equipment, that would make that choice of weapon/shield strictly worse than other weapons/shields where you can't have the additional effect on equipment.

For example, you can have deflection (hatchet) on rings and cloaks, but you can't have 'Best of Slash/Pierce' (Sword) on equipment other than weapons, so making weapons suppress their boni would make the hatchet inferior to the sword in terms of special abilities (disregarding attack speed and damage). Therefore weapons stack with equipment to maintain the tradeoffs associated with them.